If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Pole Rigs

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
Josh1337
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Pole Rigs

Unread post by Josh1337 »

Just a quick question for everyone on here  ::)

How many rigs do you actually have tied up ready to go in your box?
abuman
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG

Pole Rigs

Unread post by abuman »

one Image
TRICAST62
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG

Pole Rigs

Unread post by TRICAST62 »

mine plus all your,s youngun Image Image Image Image
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Pole Rigs

Unread post by bill yards »

Good point that one is Josh.

All my river fishing was basically done in the rod & line days. I don't think hardly anyone had rigs set up then but most took pride in their float boxes. The swims you drew varied that much and you really needed a different one for every peg as they differed that much and they were set up accordingly before the match started.

When poles came much into vogue 'rigs' took over. I have about half a dozen 'commie' rigs for the very rare occasion I fish them; probably most would scoff at them as they are floats I am prepared to loose!

For the canals, where I spend most of my time, I have just looked in my box and can't quite believe I take about 75 set up rigs, - most basically the same for squatt/punch/hemp fishing, why I have that many I just don't know as I hardly ever have more than four rigs set up in a match.
I have half a dozen 'chub' rigs which look remarkably the same as my commie rigs!
Also have a couple of 'whip' rigs up for the 'cut', - should be more really.
I also have three or for four caster rigs in my box, - again not enough as I could do with setting up a few more 'track rigs' as mine are too shallow for that job.
That is about it Josh but the 75 rigs set up are quitre versatile as far as shotting/depths go, - thay are virtually all the same float though, Fox MP5 or 6.
Funnily enough, like many, I tend to use the same couple of floats each time for squatt/bread/hemp fishing, - you get to know how they behave and what shot exactly they need as they all vary a smigeon.

I have been called 'one rig Charlie' on many occasions Josh but thinking about it that is only through knowing the peg a bit, - if you see me with one rig set up I am at my most dangerous!!!!!! :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/
MarkV
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Pole Rigs

Unread post by MarkV »

I have loads , all in various stages of usage and condition.

One of my great handicaps is that I am not that organised.

I usually, ....well if i'm'on the ball' lol,  make a few up before each match and then supplemement those with a few from my accumulated stash, ready for the day.

Probably got around 359 between my two boxes, but truth be known I don't really know as many are probably tangled and doubled or trebled up !

I did once try starting off the season with a set amount to cover most situations, but just didn't have the discipline to replace the used/trashed ones after more than a few trips.

At my level, clubs, i'm very happy if i've got a couple or so of made up rigs for the situation(s) I think i'm going to face, with at least a back up spare for each.
Assuming I havent got my pre match assessment completely off skew, i'm ready to go  ;)

Some days it's turn up and go with what i've got, and you know what.... it's on those days you can do just as well if not better than working after midnight tying up rigs to cover all eventualities. Too many other variables.

As Bill has just said, if it's one rig watch out !

I absolutely love it when I can do that. One method, fish it all match and improve as the match goes on. Heaven.

I did hear Dave Berrow say once that he only ever took 28 rigs to a canal match, to cover all situations, ( on the narrow midlands canals only I expect he meant). I assumed some of these would have been duplications, so wouldnt have been that many actual patterns.

I wish i'd gone and asked him about it. If you get the chance, please do ... and let me know !  Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Pole Rigs

Unread post by joffmiester »

I had 16 riva trays full Josh they used to follow me around the country yet very rarely opened the stack up. Nowadays i've chopped them all up and try to plan where i'm fishing practice and then make a tray or so up for that venue . This way i can trust the line to be good as new some of my old rigs really weathered even though they were in the trays . I could never trust to put one on so why carry them around with you Image
i also date my rigs for this purpose plus often i have 10 of the same float at different lengths because what might suit one venue by the time you've fished and hacked the rig to bits might not suit the next venue and again like bill said if its one rig watch out ;) ;)
TrevorBeckett
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG
Personal Text: when that float dips - take off a number 8
Match Team/ Club: Cashmores Match Group & Spread Eagle A A

Pole Rigs

Unread post by TrevorBeckett »

Only answer I can give is TOO MANY but despite carrying loads around I stick to the same few favourites - why ?

Tight lines
Trevor B
Enthusiastic but not always efficient
Vince_MAS

Pole Rigs

Unread post by Vince_MAS »

Hi Josh,

Not 100% sure but will be 2-300 by the time June 16th comes round  :D

This will cover me for most of my river and canal fishing fishing for everything from Bleak on whips to double figure Barbel and everything in between. I do carry duplicates of many of them though just in case I trash a rig in a match  >:(

Joff if the rigs are kept in the dark the line should be fine surely?

Once used once or twice a rig will be broke down and retied also.
MartMart

Pole Rigs

Unread post by MartMart »

I have way too many aswell but when you make floats like I do it's very easy to try a few floats then make something a little different to try. I'm a self confessed float and rig tart
Arch
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Pole Rigs

Unread post by Arch »

River rigs ?? 20 or so. Most are still in my box from when I used to fish on a regular basis. Every now and again I get them out and clean the white stuff off the shot and then put them back in again.

Lake and canal rigs ?? 50 odd.

Oddly enough, iv'e still got two river rods made up from last August. A Stick and a big river Waggler. Hope their still ok ??  :D
MrV
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Personal Text: Still waiting on an end peg!!
Match Team/ Club: Cashmores MG
Sponsor: NHS

Pole Rigs

Unread post by MrV »

I have about 30 - 40 in my box which are mainly canal or natural lake rigs. There are 4 Chub rigs, and 4 track rigs for choppy fishing on places like the Curly Wyrley. Image

I also have 20 odd commie rigs set up, in a box in the garage, but they only go in my box when I visit those venues with Cashmores. Image

Float types vary, but are all tried and trusted patterns. Image Image
big_cup
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Match Team/ Club: Stainy angling centre
Sponsor: Open to offers!!!

Pole Rigs

Unread post by big_cup »

Since moving over to the dark side I don't carry my stack system of floats as I did when on the canals etc but just had a count up of 135 in my box for coms, it quite surprised me that as had I guessed I would of said 50/60 made up.

Taking that into account I must have 150 / 200 made up from team fishing. Then I have all separate rigs for Holland and Ireland. The total actually tied up that could be taken must be pushing 400, though that covers many countries / areas / types of fishing etc and would never all be taken to one venue Image Image

And just to confirm, like others I use the same 3 / 4 rigs for each type of fishing so probably 350 ish aint ever had the line wet Image Image
Just cant get a draw :facepalm :facepalm
chub_tamer
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

Pole Rigs

Unread post by chub_tamer »

ive got 3 now I borrowed squeaks Image
big_cup
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Match Team/ Club: Stainy angling centre
Sponsor: Open to offers!!!

Pole Rigs

Unread post by big_cup »

ive got 3 now I borrowed squeaks  Image

And that isn't a joke Image Image Image

I was gob smacked counting mine, no wonder your so crappity smack fat, its all money you make out of my float orders Image Image
Just cant get a draw :facepalm :facepalm
Statler
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker
Personal Text: Wish I could draw
Match Team/ Club: Stainforth Angling Centre

Pole Rigs

Unread post by Statler »

Just a quick question for everyone on here  ::)

How many rigs do you actually have tied up ready to go in your box?
About 50 shallow canal rigs; 50 Stainy rigs; 50 junction rigs; 30 Aire and Calder rigs; 50 River Don rigs; 30 Holland rigs; about 70 carp venue rigs catering for deep and shallow coomercials and that is not to mention the hundreds of floats not made up.
In other words, far too many
Josh1337
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Pole Rigs

Unread post by Josh1337 »

Brill read from you all!! Intresting to see what people have :D

I have everything equal realy except rivers.

16 commie rigs.. paste/shallow/all rounder, all .15/.19 dia. and duplicates incase tangles ect Image

Same with canals all styles.. around 20-25 tied up. But as above always go back to the same ones. 85% have never seen water lol ::)
milo_rubix

Pole Rigs

Unread post by milo_rubix »

I probably have around 150 made up on winders, I don't fish rivers but wished I did as it would give me an excuse to buy some more floats!