If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Willesley Lake Open

Upcoming Match Information and Venue Advice Here.
Jelfish
Cornerstone
Cornerstone

Willesley Lake Open

Unread post by Jelfish »

Redfins Angling are running Open match on Sunday 8th December. Draw at 8am fish 09:00 to 14:00.

Looking to fill 40 pegs

Contact Redfins to boo in 01530 272864
craftytafty
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Willesley Lake Open

Unread post by craftytafty »

do you know any results of any opens they've had already?
craftytafty
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Willesley Lake Open

Just wondered if anyone has heard how it's been fishing in the opens?
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Willesley Lake Open

Unread post by joffmiester »

Image Image Image Image Not heard anything Sean Ashby was going to try and run a couple as well Image Image
stevetheteacher

Willesley Lake Open

Unread post by stevetheteacher »

Matches have been on most sundays for the last month or 2. Tight matches as the bream don't appear to have got their heads down yet.
The last match I fished was won with 15lb of net roach from the eel trap.

Contact redfins for more info.
LarryTeepot
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker
Match Team/ Club: Tunnel Barn Farm Vets
Sponsor: Fishermans Friend .... and Mo,s

Willesley Lake Open

Unread post by LarryTeepot »

you have a contact number Steve? Image
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: MaverBaitech
Sponsor: Maver / Baitech

Willesley Lake Open

Unread post by CHOPWORM HERO »

It's on the first post of this thread. There is a match tomorrow and for the next few sundays depending on turnouts I expect. Not fishing well for bream yet but silvers are present, best pegs being to the left from the car park. Groundbait / pinkie at 13m, maybe a few on caster on a shorter 5/6m line. Odd skimmers and roach on feeder, it will start to fish better in March / April for bream.
stevetheteacher

Willesley Lake Open

Does anyone know how it fished yesterday?
Arch
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Willesley Lake Open

Unread post by Arch »

Went for a short walk round this afternoon, parked at the roadside and walked a few pegs in the field and 10 or so up towards the deeps. The colour isn't too bad, not that horrible reddy/brown colour it goes when we have lots of rain. Only one carper fishing.

The guys that now run Willersley really need to sort the trees and undergrowth out though. There are overgrown pegs in the field side. Lots of pegs in the deeps are unfishable with a rod because of the overhanging trees. Nye on impossible to cast a feeder in most pegs. I counted 4 Spods hanging in the branches and lots of line and bombs too. Pitty the wildlife. Some cutting has been done, but i doubt the trees have been properly cut for 5 years of more.

Shame really.
Jelfish
Cornerstone
Cornerstone

Willesley Lake Open

Unread post by Jelfish »

Its not that bad. There is a good shelf on most pegs, take a platform or use your super mega-boxes with foot platforms and get in the water.
stevetheteacher

Willesley Lake Open

Trees are overgrown but really not a problem in most pegs- unless you are a noddy carper chucking a spod vertically.

Sundays match was tight- low weights but everyone was in with a shout. The bream were starting to come onto the pole line by all accounts.

Match on sunday again- contact redfins.
Arch
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Willesley Lake Open

Unread post by Arch »

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree about the trees. I'll take some pictures next time I'm there. The Camera never lies and all that.

When Richard Wood ran the winter matches at Willesley eons ago, he pegged from the fence end (Peg 21 IIMC) around to about peg 65. The pegs in the twenties were all fished from the bank because it was too deep to stand in the water. I wouldn't want to fish those pegs today, I couldn't cast out. Up towards the Eel trap you can stand in the water. But that doesn't alter the fact that the trees need sorting out. The line and assorted floats and bombs hanging from them doesn't do the fishery or us anglers any credit.

I fished around the wood side back in August, can't remember the peg number (It used to be known as the "Sludge Hole" years ago) I waded as far out as was comfortable, but still caught some branches when i cast out. Willesley used to be really good fishing, a nice day out. I just hope the lads from Redfins can get it back to what it was in it's heyday.
stevetheteacher

Willesley Lake Open

Arch I agree about how the gear hanging off the trees looks- redfins reckon they have a tree surgeon coming in to do some work but has been hampered by the strong winds.

I shall pass on your compliment to Rich when I fish with him on sunday!
craftytafty
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Willesley Lake Open

Richard used to go up to 75 and I have even seen 76 used, good pegs up there ( well so Browny tells me, I never drew there Image Image Image Image).

I remember when I think it was Robin Banton ran wednesday matches, it was like a who's who of Bream fishing, Marksy, Tom Bedder, Stu Killen, Bob Walker, some of the Barnsley lads used to fish, Frank Barlow, etc etc

2 winters ago Christine let us have a few knockups in the winter and it was brilliant fishing between 21 and about peg 40, I don't think many were won with less than 25lb, some pegs were bad for chucking then so if it hasn't been trimmed since it will be bad I would imagine.

Wish they did Wednesday matches there now Image Image Image
stevetheteacher

Willesley Lake Open

They didn't run a match last weekend but there will be one this weekend.

Draw 8am fish 9am till 2pm. Should fish well if the colour stays as it is.
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: MaverBaitech
Sponsor: Maver / Baitech

Willesley Lake Open

Unread post by CHOPWORM HERO »

Thanks for that, They did cancel the last one I was going to fish due to the windy forcast so lets hope this sunday will go ahead.
stevetheteacher

Willesley Lake Open

How did you get on chopworm? Bit blowy?