If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

2014 venues

Marsh Club Banter.

Moderator: Spamwham

Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

2014 venues

Unread post by Dave C »

Just thinking about next years fixture list and would like your thoughts and comments.

1) Monks is usually a good venue for the start as it can usually be relied upon for plenty of fish eary season. I think this year was highly unusual. We have fished lake 4 for a while now and I have had some comments from the newer members asking what lake 2 is like. Bearing in mind lake 2 is very peggy and is not a nice place to be if the weather is bad what do you want to fish Lake 2 or lake 4.

2) Do I try and get a booking for Sumners ponds match lake or even the ribbon lake ( Silvers)

3) What were your views on Claygate. I think Lake Eva was reasonable and is worth another go. Although the canal lake made a change The pegging was very tight and it probably suits a smaller club.

4) I presume you dont want me to book Arrans again as its far to energetic for the average age of our members. Image
keith
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Did I say 30lb
Sponsor: GOT Baits

2014 venues

Unread post by keith »

Considering the amount of travelling we all do. How about a match near Clive's part of the country.

It would be nice to experience a different lake at Monks. Never fished any of the other lakes there so would not know a good peg from a bad one. Although I like the look of the one by the snack van( the big one) where you can fish the tip.

Sumners is another venue not fished before so would welcome it perhaps replacing one of the Claygate matches.

Puddledock road lake, although I have done well there has not performed well on the two times we have fished it. How about trying the main snake lake?

Arrans yes as a lot of members have PBs to improve on.

Colemans, how about one on each of the lakes, Pathfield, Wood and Stepfield.

How about a river match?
Golfs a game for people who cannot catch fish
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

2014 venues

Unread post by Dave C »

There are two lakes at Monks the one on the left is Puma and on the right is Bridges. Both are very shallow and are mainly for day ticket anglers although I believe there are a few matches on them in winter. Even then I believe you have to fit in round the day tickets.
Colemans, how about one on each of the lakes, Pathfield, Wood and Stepfield.

To be honest I have not heard good reports about Stepfield. Pathfield used to be the lake we booked but after the fishing deteriorated and the opens on Woods were changed from Saturdays we switched to Woods. Results there improved drastically after we switched. If members want it I will book both next year.
kev the catch
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

2014 venues

Unread post by kev the catch »

Guy's.

I have never been bothered that much about the venues that we have fished it's all about the banter and the good company as far as i'm concerned.

If I had to make a choice I would go for the following.

Colemans x2,Arrans,Claygate (Sophie),Monks(4),Alders,Hartleylands(Nicks),Puddledock.

Plus Sumner's and 1 other as new venues.

Plus we also have our weekend at Rolf's (Have you booked it yet Dave).

Kev.
SiDev
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

2014 venues

Unread post by SiDev »

Like most of the venues but personally not worried if we dropped Puddledock and Sophie for other new venues.....enjoy Wood at Colemans so happy with two there.....Arrans when I'm not on holiday!!!....Monks 2 rather than Monks 4....there's my twopennyworth Image
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

2014 venues

Unread post by Dave C »

Plus we also have our weekend at Rolf's (Have you booked it yet Dave).

I thought you had booked it. Im sure John said it was in his calendar as Malc moved a Jinx match to allow us to have that weekend
kev the catch
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

2014 venues

Dave.

We penciled it in we wanted to see how many would attend in the first instance. Looking at the interest.

If Your happy I will give John a call and confirm.

Kev
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

2014 venues

Unread post by Dave C »

Im certain he has us down. We are there in a couple of weeks so will make sure then.
al
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

2014 venues

Unread post by al »

Monk 2 would be a good call
Arrans definate
Do like woods at colemans
I enjoyed the snake at claygate
Heard good things about sumners
Wouldn't mind the one with the hill can't remember the name
Puddle ???
Monk 1 is back to its best
A match on the Thames would be cool
A rod and reel match would be fun
Whatever il fish mr chairman
john_holdsworth
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

2014 venues

Unread post by john_holdsworth »

Dave, I'm happy with what you have done this year and go along with whatever you want to do. Image Image
A big Thanks for all the hard work you have done in organising and arranging all the events this year.
Image Image
Clive
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

2014 venues

Unread post by Clive »

Could always try booking the small lake at Willow park Dave If you are looking for a different venue for next year good breakfast and easy fishing :)
fair bit for some to travel though so you might not get the numbers to cover the cost ?
naughtycockney
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

2014 venues

Unread post by naughtycockney »

Good brekkies Clive sign me up,easy fishing does that mean just bring nets and they jump in!!!!'
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

2014 venues

Unread post by Dave C »

Havent fished Willow park in a long while. One of the few southern venues that insist on you buying their pellet and from what I remember their bags are a bit on the small side.

Not as prolific as most of our venues but usually a nice days fishing. I will try to find out the costs for booking the lakes.

The other place near there is Gold Valley but after experiencing the rules changing with the changing wind a number of times in the past its not really a place Im comfortable going to. Image
Clive
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

2014 venues

Unread post by Clive »

Just dont get talked into booking middle lake Image
There arn't enough trees with strong enough limbs for all of us to get a rope over Image
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

2014 venues

Unread post by Dave C »

To be honest Clive I have looked on the match results and am not over impressed with the weights especially considering the quality of the anglers involved.
Tel
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

2014 venues

Unread post by Tel »

For what it's worth my preferences would be

Mid-April Nicks lake, Hartleylands
May Lake Sophie, Claygate
June Arrans and Monks Lake 2
July Woods Lake, Colemans
August Arrans and Sumners
September Alders and Rolfs
October Reservoir, Hartleylands
Spamwham
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

2014 venues

Unread post by Spamwham »

Well first a big thankyou to Dave for sorting out our 2013 season which I thoroughly enjoyed Image Image Image

As for 2014 my present thoughts are:

Add 2 new lakes:
Monk 2 (during the Summer) and 1 of Sumners Match lake or a Berkshire venue if Clive has any recommendations (by the way not Willow Park)

Lose 2 venues - probably Puddledock and Claygate Eva (maybe come back to this the year after)

Keep:
  • Monk 4 as the 1st match of the year
    The Res and Nicks
    Claygate Sophie (the snake)
    2 Colemans but maybe Woods and Pathfield as a change
    Aarons
    Alders - but make it a proper club match rather than an add-on

Plus a knock up at Hawkhurst, unless you want to add it to the list as an 11th official match - only 20 pegs but quite a few of our turnouts are 20 or less

As for Rolfs I see that as a separate special event - personally I would only do it as a 1 off.
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

2014 venues

Unread post by Dave C »

Now here is a question for you all.

I usually avoid booking matches on a Bank Holiday weekend but does it actually matter. Would you still be available to fish if i did book a Saturday match on a BH weekend?
kev the catch
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

2014 venues

Depends on which Bank Holiday and which venue your talking about Dave.
As those of us (Not Me) that have to travel a fair distance may not enjoy sitting in traffic. Image Image Image
SiDev
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

2014 venues

Unread post by SiDev »

Firstly, echo those saying thank you to Mr C....a great job and some first class section pegging Image..

Bank holiday's not really a problem but do feel for thos etravelling a fair old distance on those weekends.

Happy to fish wherever....although like Terry's little selection...but do fancy two on Woods at Colemans.... Image