If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Arrans Lake 3rd August 2013

Marsh Results and Reports.

Moderator: Spamwham

Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

Unread post by Dave C »

Well what can you say about a match like that. Im not sure I would like to fish it on a regular basis but once a year would be OK. It was certainly a good replacement to Rockells Farm and then some.
The results show the morning weights at the midmatch weigh in first then the afternoon session and overall total. Their were two anglers penalised for exceeding the 50lb net limit. Despite that we exceeding the previous club match total by a long way and Al also broke the individual record previously held by Martin.
15 of the 20 anglers beat their personal best match weights.

The points table shows its very tight at the top with only 15 points between the top 6 anglers.

So what do you think. Should I try to book it for next year.?
SiDev
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by SiDev »

Book book booooooooook!!......I wanna go!! Image
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Dave C »

Tough. You chose to book your holiday at the wrong time and miss it. Image Image
SiDev
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by SiDev »

True.....but I will not miss next year!!!
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Dave C »

The posts been up a day now. Image  Nobody got any comments to make? Image Image
keith
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Did I say 30lb
Sponsor: GOT Baits

Unread post by keith »

Its just a hole in the ground

However I am pleased that 15 members of the club managed to beat their personal best match weights.
Golfs a game for people who cannot catch fish
Clive
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Clive »

Its got plenty of water that ticks all my boxes Image
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Dave C »

I thought it was a bit short of water. It might have been 4 foot deep but 3 foot of that was fish.
grahammanning
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by grahammanning »

I think Arrans is a good replacement for Rockells - abundance of fish wise. It was a good confidence booster but, as Dave quite rightly pointed out, you wouldn't want to fish it too often. I definitely think we should book it again.
Tel
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Tel »

Well done to Al and everyone else who beat their personal best  :D
I'm still astonished how anyone can catch nearly 300lb in three hours, even assuming an average of 5lb per fish that's still one every three minutes, allowing for playing/landing/unhooking/ re-tying hooks and replacing trashed rigs there's no way I could get anywhere near that especially as the average of mine was about 3lb, so hats off to you guys who managed it better.  Image
wat2tone
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by wat2tone »

great day's fishing once i got it right so will defo go there again
kev the catch
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by kev the catch »

Well done Al on the win and to all who now have new PB's. Image Image Image Image

Think it's worth another go next year. As has been said a good replacement for Rockells.
Clive
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Clive »

Lets be fair the puddle in the car park was a good replacement for Rockells Image
naughtycockney
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by naughtycockney »

Well done to Al on the win and the amazing haul and all that got PB's.

I've heard that phase baggin up, but to actually see and be involved it, great. At one stage I looked up to the left and right and all I could see was elastic coming out of the top sections of everyone.

I dont know if we should let Si in on the secret, keep it to just us!!!!!!! Image

Thx, Mr C for the advice yet again, saved my bacon.

A must for next year, like everyone, wouldn't want to do it week in and out. Image
keith
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Did I say 30lb
Sponsor: GOT Baits

Unread post by keith »

Strange isn't it?

We all go fishing to catch fish or do we?

We were fortunate to fish Arrans and had a great day, with 15 personal bests proving that the fishery and the anglers were all on top form. However, it seems that most would not want to fish it more than once, maybe twice a year. Why is that?

I am fortunate that I have Alders on my doorstep if I want to catch big weights(doesn't always happen). Others have Hartleylands or Colemans.

A lot of anglers now fish Rolf's where you are only fishing for maybe 20 bites maximum yet go back all year round.

Personally, I prefer waters that offer a challenge, are picturesque and I can fish in peace and quiet( Al is the exception). I am just as happy catching 50lb of carp or 300lb, it just depends on the venue and target weight.

So my question is WHY would you only want to fish places like Arrans only once a year?
Golfs a game for people who cannot catch fish
Tel
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Tel »

Wouldn't bother me fishing it more frequently :D
grahammanning
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by grahammanning »

Keith,

I think the reason that some people, me included, would not want to fish Arrans too often is because it was just too easy. I didn't bother fishing anything other than the margins and, at times, had half a dozen fish under my float. Consequently, I was able to pick out and target the lumps because I would much rather catch fewer bigger fish (which take longer to land) rather than more smaller fish (which can be landed in seconds). I think this makes me more of a pleasure angler rather than a match angler - but I'm, fine with that.

To redress to balance I intend to trot a stick float down the River Chelmer this weekend to try try and pick up a chub or 2. Or I may freeline a whole squid in Benfleet Creek (literally just down the road from where I live) and try and bag a bass for the table. Whichever I do I may well blank - but I expect this from time to time. But this will just make me appreciate place like Arrans all the more!

Graham
john_holdsworth
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by john_holdsworth »

i would like to fish aarons twice a year as its a good challenge to get a large weight. Image
keith74

Unread post by keith74 »

was an enjoyable day, thanks for the invite!! seeing as its my second trip out this season it ticked all the boxes for me :)
wat2tone
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by wat2tone »

I am with john would defo fish aarons twice loved it. Don't often get the chance to bag up like that. plus now need to break a high pb lol Image