If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Lancaster Canal

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
John H

Lancaster Canal

Unread post by John H »

I'm looking to hire a narrowboat on the Lancaster canal and I wondered if anybody knew anything about the canal who could tell first of all, if it was nice cut to go cruising on and if it would be worth taking my fishing gear with me. I'm not into carp or pike etc., just a nice net of silvers.

The reason I am interested in this canal is that my partner it sh1t scared of locks Image and I've read that there aren't any on this cut.

Thanks,
John.
Arch
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Lancaster Canal

Unread post by Arch »

Have you looked at the Ashby canal ?? No locks on there either and very rural.

http://www.ashbyboats.com/

We've used these, very good too. Image
John H

Lancaster Canal

Unread post by John H »

Their boats look really nice Arch Image What's the fishing like ?
Bobbyg

Lancaster Canal

Unread post by Bobbyg »

Hi John

Yes take your fishing gear with you. Fished a lot of blood worm winter matches on the “Lanky” lovely canal beautiful countryside can be good bream and roach fishing in the basins, up around the Forton area you’ll enjoy
Arch
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Lancaster Canal

Unread post by Arch »

Their boats look really nice Arch Image What's the fishing like ?

Ermm, well, now then.

To put it bluntly, it's pretty poor. Odd places throw up a few weights.

Last week Shakerstone AC held their annual teams of 4 match. Used to be really popular with maybe 40 to 50 teams fishing it. Last week 11 fished. Top weigh was 9lb 4oz of Bream from a section called Hags lane. 7lb 6oz was second. 7lb 3oz third. But on the whole anglers weight in ozs most of the time.

The canal is a 22 mile dead end canal. It stops at Snarestone and as a result of it being a dead end it is quite shallow, so boat progress is quite slow (We got grounded twice, but that was driver error ::)). The other way is the Coventry canal. If you turn left onto it, no locks for a while either. There is a "Stop" lock at Hawkesbury onto the Oxford, but it's only 6" so no big deal. From there no more locks untill Hilmorton. We had a mid week break and got to Hilmorton, went through the Hilmorton lock then turned around and headed home. Total of 4 locks and a good time.

ATB.

Arch. Image
John H

Lancaster Canal

Unread post by John H »

Thanks for your help Arch & Bobbyg Image I'll check out prices and availability on both cuts and see what the boss thinks. ::)