If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

HAWFORD BRIDGE- what a day

Share your Match Results or Fishing Stories Here.

Moderator: bill yards

YAMO
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG

Unread post by YAMO »

Well us hardy souls travelled to what is without doubt my favourite venue- hawford bridge- we decided to fish the bottom pool again as it produced good weights in the depth of winter last time we fished it. When we got there, we were amazed at the amount of fish we could see, mainly big ghosties cruising round, it was like an aquairum.There were hundreds, big geoff said he'd never seen anyhtign like to before. The draw took place and i drew next to ha ha on the main straight with big geoff in the bay and vesty flanking him. The cross wind was a problem, but i snared a carp 2lb first chuck shallow. I then had a quiet spell but caught another 3 or 4 carp in the first hour, one about 5lb. 2nd hour i had a quality roach, nice skimmer and a few small stripies as the carp backed off. Big geoff was catching a fish a chuck on the straight lead threw into the inviting bay-- HA HA started to catch on the pole, so i went into track and fed two big pots of corn, no immediate response however i did snare another 2lb'er after 20mins. The wind picked up and it was difficult to hold the pole, all the time geoff was catching carp on led and bonus barbel about 6lb. I lost a chub about 3lb by the net and decided i was gonna chuck a small lead by the far bank, first chuck a 7lb carp which gave my new rod a real hammering.Back on the pole over those pots of corn and bang,a zoo creature on, 45mins later i got him to the edge, between 12-13lbs at a guess,and disaster struck as he slipped the hook right by the net. Nowt after this, i reckon i had 20lb in the net 3 hours in. There was talk of a ton for big geoff. ha ha was catching superb 3 hours in, whilst i sat there trying to locate the carp and remained biteless for just under an hour---with 1 hour to go i decided to brave the wind and fish 14m by the weeds and voila a 3lb mirror followed by a 5lb ghostie.. and another 4lb ghostie and another and another. Big geoff continue to catch every single chuck in masterclass of lead fishing, i lost a few foul hookers and felt i was ahead of ha ha just but trailing geoff by some margin. the final half hour was fantastic, big ghosties and mirrors all on corn, i got seen off one more time and lost a great fish right on the whistle..it was alive with fish.

Time for the weigh in...i wont tell you what my predicted weight was..but i managed 86-10-0 which was great. Ha ha did 45lb next to me and then it was big geoff's turn, his 2 nets were full of carp and it was gonna be close..4 weighs later it was 84-6-0..geoff had more fish but they were smaller 1lb-1.5lb specimens. the last hour won it for me.
Without doubt the best winter fishing ive ever had, everyone had a great time, back up weights in the 20's too...ironic that i did well and ha ha never bought that mole with him, its a curse i tell you !
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

It’s good to read a write up of someone else’s exploits for a change Yamo. Image

Hawford would be another half decent fishery that I’ve introduced Cashmores too if it didn’t have some restrictive rules that me, and other club secretaries I’ve spoken to, find annoying. :( But perhaps there again they don’t apply in winter when demand from clubs peters off?

Having said that, sounds like you had a good day – well done Image

Was it an open or a ‘knock up’ and how many fished?
frank
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by frank »

I like the place as well mate when its on song it can be a decent venue
but when its off can be a bit of a bitch.Some goods bags there mate.
Was you on the car park side backs to the river?
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Unread post by Simple »

Well done dude. Good weight. We need to keep putting these southern softies to shame :P Image
Good write-up, a few pictures would have been good too. Take ya camera next time Image
YAMO
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG

Unread post by YAMO »

it was a knock up, we were all round the pool, the pegs that were in top 3 were pegs backing onto the middle pool in the small bay. A ton up will be easy there in the summer.
frank
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by frank »

Got where mean, I fished there last year I drew end of bay farthest from road near the end of island. Fishing with grandsons club. Thought Id won it with 112lb my grandson was the other end near the road 149lb he weighed in, beat me again, my excuse is Pole's longer than mine. Good pools tho, on the middle pool May the 10th hope it fishes as well. Pellet and corn where the baits
YAMO
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG

Unread post by YAMO »

oh yeh, im hoping to fish a few knock ups there in summer, i can see the ton coming !