If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Hawkhurst Match Lake 14th April 2012

Marsh Results and Reports.

Moderator: Spamwham

Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

Unread post by Dave C »

Not the easiest days fishing as it proved difficult to keep the fish coming consistently. Still the overall results wernt bad needing a big 80lb to get into the top ten of sixteen and an average of nearly 90lb a man.

Thanks to Al for arranging it. Image

Woodhouse
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: Maver Tipton VDE

Unread post by Woodhouse »

Southern carp are easy, in fact I'd say they are a little gay!
Drynet
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

Unread post by Drynet »

Nice fishing Dave Image
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Happily retired.
Match Team/ Club: Maggotdrowning.com
Sponsor: Taxpayers.

Unread post by Mugger »

Thanks for putting the match together Al. Image

Report underway and should be up later. ;)
:cheerleader :cheerleader Watch out, watch out, there's a Mugger about :cheerleader :cheerleader
keith
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Did I say 30lb
Sponsor: GOT Baits

Unread post by keith »

Thanks for the invite Al
Golfs a game for people who cannot catch fish
john_holdsworth
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by john_holdsworth »

Thanks al for arranging this match and letting me fish it, I had a great day Image.
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Re: Hawkhurst Match Lake 14th April 2012

Unread post by Mugger »

Marsh AC club mate and fellow Maggotdrowner Al Loader had booked the Match Lake at Hawkhurst for a knock up today and with a good few booked on for it everyone was hopeful of a good days sport Image. Unfortunately the view from the bedroom window was a bit bleak when I looked out, dull grey and overcast with rain falling, but with the cats fed and a couple of cups of coffee to fortify me I soon had my waterproofs on and the car loaded up and headed for Hawkhurst. Thankfully the rain soon stopped, but with the temperature showing just 6°C and some fog outside Tonbridge it looked like a none to glorious spring day ahead Image.

I pulled into the car park just before 8am to find most already assembled and the last couple followed me in. A cool North easterly wind was noticeable as Keith collected the match fees for Al, before we headed to the fishery Restaurant for breakfast before the draw. The breakfast served at Hawkhurst is one of the best Image (2 sausage, 2 bacon, 2 eggs, mushrooms, beans/tomatoes, fried slice + toast and tea or coffee) which sets you up nicely for the day ahead, and as we chatted over this, Mick the Chippy was adamant that the Golden Nugget would be returning to him today Image.

With breakfast taken care of it was back to the car park for the draw. With 16 anglers present all 20 pegs were in and when my turn came peg 3 was mine for the day. Collecting my kit I chatted to Mick McMillan who was happy to have drawn peg 5 Image, though he wasn't quite so happy when he found out that I'd drawn peg 6 for Al Image.
A short walk to my peg revealed Tony on peg 1 while Brodie was on peg 2 and Dave Hough to my right on peg 4. Happiest angler on the day should have been Derek Lockwood on the other bank as he had one empty peg to his right and three to his left. You can see where everyone else drew on the peg plan below ........

My set up for Hawkhurst was pretty simple. 3 top kits loaded with black hydro and  the first 2 rigs were identical, made up of a 0·3 NG XT Power Pencil Mk 2 on 0·14 Ultima power match straight through to a size 16 Kamasan B911X for a 5mtr line (top 2 + 2 sections) on the deck where I had around 4ft of water, while the third was a 0.2 NG Edger again on 0·14 Ultima power match straight through to a size 16 Kamasan B911X for a margin line against the boards. Bait for the day was going to be hard 6mm fishery pellet along with some 6mm GOT Rippers .

With the match being fished from 10·15am till 4·15pm I had a bit of time before the start to have a stroll round and have a chat prior to the All-In so I strolled along the top of the banking behind the pegs to get a better view. Mick McMillan and Al were settled into pegs 5 and 6, a couple of the favoured pegs and would be hard to beat today as they're both more than capable of doing a big weight Image ......

On peg 7 Mick was hoping that the power of Beechams powders would hold his cold at bay in his quest to gain back his Golden Nugget and Clive obviously had a cunning plan that was focused on the contents of a tin Image ......

I had a quick chat with Keith who wouldn't be able to keep an eye on Mick today, while Terry was having a chat with Paul on peg 10, picking his brains as Paul has a very good record fishing here ......

John seemed happy enough on peg 12, as he had Dave for company today on peg 11 and the 3 empty pegs to his right Image ......

Derek was in splendid isolation on peg 16, Rod was going with the waggler from peg 19 and Mick Wright was tucked into the corner on peg 20 and hoping to get the bragging rights for the trip home to Milton Keynes with travelling companion Keith today, while over in the opposite corner Tony seemed lost in contemplation of the day ahead ......

10·15am and the whistle was blown signalling the start of the match. Before I could even pot in a cup of pellet Mick was netting his first fish of the day!!!!!! and was netting a second before I shipped out a rig with a 6mm banded pellet on the hook Image. The hoped for instant bite didn't materialise for me and others were already into fish before a bit of lift and dropping of the rig was rewarded with the float jagging under. A quick lift resulted in a pleasing resistance and a small common of around 1lb was soon in the net to get me off the mark Image. That set the tone for me, a pinch of pellet every put in and keep working the rig produced the bites and kept the small carp coming and I ended the first hour with 14 fish in the nets. That north east wind was really chilling Image despite the sunshine, but kept a decent ripple on the swim.

In the second hour the wind dropped a couple of times but it was noticeable that without the ripple the bites dried up, only returning with the wind. This was especially noticeable as Terry opposite me had the wind off his back leaving his peg a lot calmer, which resulted in him really struggling for a bite Image ......

Despite the lulls in sport when the wind dropped I managed to maintain my catch rate and at the end of the second hour I'd added another 17 fish to the nets, and felt that I was holding my own with Tony and Brodie, though Dave to my right seemed to be catching at a slightly faster rate ......

Steady away was the story of the third hour for me  though Brodie felt that he needed to try a different approach to maintain his catch rate and switched to fishing shallow in an effort to keep them coming ......

Derek over on peg 16 was getting his head down, catching regularly and was obviously profiting from having those empty pegs around him ......

...... as well as being able to keep an eye on Mick and Al who, according to the grapevine were neck and neck and both catching well, though Al did have to take a break to go and get some more pellet as he had run out.

Strangely though I hadn't seen Dave having his customary stroll during the match and looking up toward his peg I could see him hunched over and concentrating on his right hand margin, so he was obviously catching well Image .......

into the 4th hour I had 50 fish on my clicker when a bit of a disaster struck. As I netted another carp which thrashed around and broke the line on the rig Image, and despite going straight back out with a second identical rig I couldn't buy a bite, no apparent reason for it, but I decided to take a couple of minutes to retie the original rig and once I'd done that had a bite first put in with it.

Mick was still plundering his right hand margin over on peg 20, but the fish that he was getting seemed to be quite small ......

However it was soon apparent that all was not well as sport seemed to slow down for most around the lake, The margins beside the boards were devoid of fish for me and I couldn't get a bite when I tried there Image indeed in that 5th hour I only managed to put 8 fish in the net.

The final hour was no better for me either, and in all honesty I was quite relieved when the whistle sounded the All-Out leaving me with 65 fish to weigh-in.

I soon had my kit packed away and back to the car and chatting to others they had all seemed to suffer a poor last couple of hours.

First to weigh-in was Paul on peg 10 putting 97¾lbs on the scales. Keith and Clive had 66½lbs and 71½ respectively while Mick the Chippy's cold had finally caught up with him as he weighed 31½lbs Image. Al placed a fine 139lbs on the scales but it would only be good enough for second today Image as Mick McMillan topped that with 148½lbs to take the win on the day Image. next up Dave Hough's 123½lbs would give him 3rd Image. I weighed 105lbs, Brodie 87½lbs and Tony 81lbs. Round to the opposite bank and Mick secured the bragging rights over Keith with a level 98lbs. Rod recorded 23lbs and Terry 34½lbs. Derek recorded a fine 114½lbs to finish just out of the frame. John put 91½lbs on the scales and Dave was last to weigh with a decent 104½lbs.

So Thanks to Al for organising the day Image, just over 1400lbs of fish put on the scales averaging over 80lbs per man can't be a bad days fishing on a cold spring day, and Thanks to Mick the Chippy for another Golden Nugget Image.
:cheerleader :cheerleader Watch out, watch out, there's a Mugger about :cheerleader :cheerleader
mickthechippy

Unread post by mickthechippy »

Failed miserably again,

though the cold was under control at first, it got worse, sneezing and coughing as the day went on

fishing ability seems to be lady lumps up too :'(

cheers for the invite al
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by Dodge »

Chippo !  :) Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

fishing ability seems to be lady lumps up too

Know the feeling Mickthechippy Image Image Image

And as for
indeed in that 5th hour I only managed to put 8 fish in the net.

I wish

Cracking report as usual Mugger Image
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Mugger »

And as for
indeed in that 5th hour I only managed to put 8 fish in the net.

I wish

Cracking report as usual Mugger  Image

I just knew that you would feel my pain, suffering a  Image like that TK. Image
Dave was quite emotional when he realised I'd done him by 8ozs too. Image Image Image
Drynet
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

Unread post by Drynet »

ImageNice one Muggerf Image
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Mugger »

View of the lake from the car park...............

click on the picture for a bigger version. ;)
Drynet
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

Unread post by Drynet »

Nice veiw Pete Image
john_holdsworth
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by john_holdsworth »

Great report mugger, the reason dave didnt do his normal walk see the sign behind him on your photo--- only anglers beyond this point Image he didnt want to walk the long way round Image Image Image
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Re: Hawkhurst Match Lake 14th April 2012

Unread post by Mugger »

Great report mugger, the reason dave didnt do his normal walk see the sign behind him on your photo---

only anglers beyond this point Image he didnt want to walk the long way round Image Image Image

Harsh John  Image Image Image

Might also explain why Terry had a grueller. ;)