If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Tares in winter

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
oggy

Tares in winter

Unread post by oggy »

Having just got back into fishing canals i was wondering if anybody has tried tares in the winter with a success? I fished a stretch near me last sat on the punch & had a bite nearly every put in. They were only small fish so i was wondering if tares would sort out some of the bigger roach which i know are about.
cheers
lloydy
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: Maver Midlands

Tares in winter

Unread post by lloydy »

Not tried em, nice avatar Image
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: MaverBaitech
Sponsor: Maver / Baitech

Tares in winter

Unread post by CHOPWORM HERO »

Try taking some hemp. On the grand Union around Leicester it certainly works, think tares are about finished for winter unless you are on a shed full !
Try this approach:
Have two lines fish the punch at the very bottom of the far shelf (often 2/3 rds across).
The other line further over opposite way to the other line. (If you have any features over then my further line will be towards them). This will be solely the hemp line.
Feed a few casters in your punch line at the start and fish punch, keep flicking casters on this line but do not try for an hour. I use liquidised bread and pot in a good ball that will break up going down. (When feeding the ball, tilt the cup and allow the bread to take on some water before tipping it in). Always start on a good sized punch just on bottom. On the other line (must be 2 1/2 foot minimum, 3 ft best while it's clear) pot in approx 100 grains of large grade hemp in the oil/ water it was cooked in (just cover the grains in the cup). Every now and again flick only 2 or 3 grains in. Make the punch line last as long as possible, also try smaller punch to keep fish coming(off deck).After this try a caster and just alternate between this and punch. Try re-feeding if you cannot get bites.
Try the hemp line after 1 1/2 hours, keep lifting and dropping the rig, just touching the bottom. Between this and your punch/caster line hopefully you will catch some better stamp fish.
I have only mentioned methods for roach as per your question, however any canal will respond to chopped worms and caster, especially around leicester.
Good luck, sorry for the waffle !
oggy

Tares in winter

Unread post by oggy »

Cheers for the info mate. I couldnt get hold of any tares anyway having tried 3 tackle shops. I shall take what you say on board & give it ago.
suppose this time of year i should just be happy getting plenty of bites & hope something abit bigger moves in.
cheers
trypewriter
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Tares in winter

Unread post by trypewriter »

I think a lot of canal anglers catch well on cas-tares! Image