If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

new ideas for fishing magazine features

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

new ideas for fishing magazines
i keep hearing the same old story off anglers about either not buying weeklys or moaning about the same old features Image Image,so surely it would be a good idea for the angler to put there own ideas forward .perhaps the ideas will be picked up on
it must be very hard for the magazines to chop and change commercial fishing surely are almost covered natural views features do they sell the mags new tackle is a big part of them ,so what features would you like to see Image Image
after my weekends fishing i thought it would be quite nice top start putting a club scene into place
when i say that ,it would be nice to see clubs and there anglers inviting the top anglers to join them on there club matches just to see the two different ways each angler would approaches or attacks the competition Image Image .one the club scene is growing quicker than any other side of competitive fishing and i'm sure it would encourage the club angler and learn and ask and answer questions they might never ask plus buy the magazine Image
from the readers point of view they might see venues that they never knew existed :o i'm sure top anglers wouldn't mind the odd day off ::) plus even they might learn something newfor themselves Image Image from what i've seen these club have some right characters that might not ever have the chance to make a magazine picture
;) ;) ;) ;)
this idea came to me at the weekend where i fished with 50 strangers and ended up with 50 friends  Image
Drynet
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

Unread post by Drynet »

A club scene would be good Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Whole heartedly agree with thee Joffie Image

We've all seen the 'cracks' answering questions from readers with generic replies on 'how to approach a venue' in the mags

And following on from those I've actually previously suggested to an editor or two in the past about your same idea of having a 'crack' competing against clubmen - particulalry interesting I think that given that the 'venue' could be a little alien to the top angler (aok no doubt they'd do a bit of homework, even possibly have a 'practice')

From a clubmans perspective it would be both a chance to learn loads from the angler, but also the chance to 'claim a scalp' which might make interesting reading for the general readership

As a club (Cashmores) we've previously featured in yesteryears 'club scene' features in both Match Fishing and Midland Angler - it certainly stimulated a load of interest amongst our members and resulted in a couple of dozen extra mags purchased :D, but I for one also used to enjoy reading the features on clubs and their characters that I had absolutely no association with
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

I used to also enter us in competitions such as this Joffie, sadly no longer run........

YaBB.pl?num=1257360293
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

From a clubmans perspective it would be both a chance to learn loads from the angler

Going back to this, when we fished the first SMF championship on our cut, it was really interesting (well from my perspective) to see what you guys, compared to us minions, could put on the scales.

In particular that day Diddy (who would have been fishing it blind) and Swampy who drew on less 'feature' pegs than me and thee Joffie :D

If the idea of 'crack v clubmen' did ever get picked up by a mag that run with it, an interesting starting point, before moving onto commies, might be to feature clubs that held/controlled their own waters..............?
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by Dodge »

I think it shows just where match fishing in general is right now where everything has been covered regardging commercial venues , same old thing becomes boring for most . Anglers always want to catch fish and have some banter (well most lol) interestingly there is a lot of stuff on angling forums lately where match anglers are looking for something different.
Paul_Murrin
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by Paul_Murrin »

I am not trying to advertise , this angling publication
but have been quite impressed with the Angling Star publication. Covers natural venue angling , and there's a lively club scene in there and lots from open match anglers , and they do cover a bit of commercial water angling Image Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Agree Murf - I've picked it a few times when I've stumbled upon it - it's a good read even though it features waters 'oop north' - well 'ooop north' to me :D
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Happily retired.
Match Team/ Club: Maggotdrowning.com
Sponsor: Taxpayers.

Unread post by Mugger »

Joff,
As I see it the mainstream Angling Press is now totally geared towards selling Advertising, and without the revenue from it would cease to exist. Unfortunately this has led to the vast majority of articles being nothing more than Advertorials.
Tackle Reviews? when have you ever seen a review when a product has been described in less than glowing terms? It doesn't happen and I'm sure that most view them with a degree of cynicism.

Reporting the Club Scene in some form has to be the way to go as realistically that is where it's at, at the present time in 'our' branch of the sport, Something I feel is more than backed up by the popularity of the various club reports that are posted on these forums.

Whether it would shift copies of papers and magazines is debatable however as the internet has that niche pretty well covered. ;)
:cheerleader :cheerleader Watch out, watch out, there's a Mugger about :cheerleader :cheerleader
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by bill yards »

The only new idea I have for fishing magazines is to read them Image Image Image Image Image.

Seriously though I do agree on the 'club' theme.

As for tackle reviews I can only say as I find. I have done a fair few of these in the past and I have practised what I preached by using the gear until it eventually wears out, - I could name plenty here but I might get accused of advertising! As an example (there are many more) I still use an 'original' tripod roller that I reviewed (must be 10 years ago or more), you see loads of them still about of the same pattern.

If I thought an item was that bad (many times) I never reviewed it; that is genuinely how I did them anyway, perhaps others do them different.

I bet you nobody will find a review done by me on catapults or crappity smack umbrellas, they are all virtually crap. Image Image Image

I haven't done any reviews for a good while though. Image
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Mugger »

The only new idea I have for fishing magazines is to read them Image Image Image Image Image.

I haven't done any reviews for a good while though. Image

No point searching for your review of soft hook pellets then Bill. :(
:cheerleader :cheerleader Watch out, watch out, there's a Mugger about :cheerleader :cheerleader
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by Dodge »

How do you rate the lastest method feeders and boilies bill ?

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image   Image

Image Image Imagewait for it Image Image Image Image Image
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

The strawberry crappity smack have quite a nice tang to them.

Them Browning feeders with a revolving window in are the bees knees.

PS What is a method feeder? Image; it's getting near trivia time, anyone know who invented them, - bet yer Joff gets it right first Image Image
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

No point searching for your review of soft hook pellets then Bill.

The new version of my novel is coming out soon,

THE PELLETATER good read Image Image Image Image Image
Drynet
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

Unread post by Drynet »

The strawberry crappity smack have quite a nice tang to them.

Them Browning feeders with a revolving window in are the bees knees.

PS What is a method feeder? Image; it's getting near trivia time, anyone know who invented them, - bet yer Joff gets it right first Image Image

Fin.
Woodhouse
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: Maver Tipton VDE

Unread post by Woodhouse »

I thought it was Roy marlow
MarkV
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by MarkV »

Whether it would shift copies of papers and magazines is debatable however as the internet has that niche pretty well covered. 

I think generally, the internet/these forums will have an impact, reducing magazine sales.

Incidentally, I've been reading some old copies of 'Midland Angler' , that I bought years ago but didn't read properly.

Wish it was still about.

The thought had crossed my mind about new ideas/types of feature, but no nuggets i'm afraid.

Big thumbs up for involving top anglers with clubs Image
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

I thought it was Roy marlow

Not 100% on this but I didn't think so. Joff's area though, I think his initials were DG.
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Mugger »

No idea who, but I seem to remember someone telling me that it was originaly developed by anglers in the NW fishing the Meres for Bream, probably totally wrong though. :(