If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Canal Hooks

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
minnowmaster

Canal Hooks

Unread post by minnowmaster »

Hi all,
Ive started tying up a load of my silvers hooks to 0.08 garbo line. Ive done 75 as it stands but want to do some more canal hooks as I will be doing a fair bit of cut fishing this year.
I was wondering what hook you'ld use for squat and pinkie....bread punch....and maggot.
Thanks for helping me out
Dan Image
macca
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Personal Text: TRUE BLUE
Match Team/ Club: shakespeare superteam
Sponsor: four ashes

Canal Hooks

Unread post by macca »

Hi all,
Ive started tying up a load of my silvers hooks to 0.08 garbo line. Ive done 75 as it stands but want to do some more canal hooks as I will be doing a fair bit of cut fishing this year.
I was wondering what hook you'ld use for squat and pinkie....bread punch....and maggot.
Thanks for helping me out
Dan Image
start by using 0.06 hook lengths for silvers, If you use 0.08 with number one and two elastic you will end up snapping the elastic when ever you snag up,A very common accurrance on canals.
minnowmaster

Canal Hooks

macca- Im using a 4 laccy as the roach and perch are 2oz with a few skimmers and tench 10oz-1lb. Ive got the line,float and laccy sorted I just need help with hooks.
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Canal Hooks

Unread post by bill yards »

Dan,

Macca is dead right what he says but to be honest the average size of the smaller fish is probably a little bit less in these parts than it will be on your canal, if you get what I mean.

I think I am right in saying the most commonest hooks we use in these parts for squatt and pinkie are Fox IM 1s or Kamasan B590s. You need to take care with these hooks though as they easily bend. The IM 1 is lighter and slightly thinner (a touch weaker maybe) than the B590 but both do a similar job. I use the IM 1s and more often than not a 22.

To be honest I use the same hooks for hemp, quite a few of us do. However, down your way you are probably better off with the Kamasan B511, (yellow packet) they can also be used for the punch and very light caster work.

For maggot or caster when larger fish like bigger roach, bream, decent skimmers or the like can be expected the choice is far and wide. I use Fox Series 4 but there are loads of models fit for this purpose.

When it comes to getting carp and big chub out, I think you could tell me what hooks to use. Image Image Image Image

Hope this helps Dan, at the end of the day it is all opinion really.
minnowmaster

Canal Hooks

Thanks Tony, great advice. Im fishing the canal tomorrow and Ive only got punch and liccy bread. Any advice on how I should fish and feed it as Ive never fished bread on the canal.
Thanks
Dan
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Canal Hooks

Unread post by bill yards »

To be honest Dan I don't use liquidised nowadays but i am an oddball on that score. Anyway keep feeding bits all the time and your bites should last for ages.

Even if your bites flag off keep feeding a bit of licky all the time. See how you get on with this.

At this time of the year it can be better starting in the deeper water, in the middle, and stick with it for as long as you can.
LarryTeepot
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker
Match Team/ Club: Tunnel Barn Farm Vets
Sponsor: Fishermans Friend .... and Mo,s

Canal Hooks

Unread post by LarryTeepot »

what canal dan......this site has some of the best cut anglers EVER..there advice is always top notch.i am an im1 or pr 31 man.. Image