If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

B/J- V- BREAD-v- every other peg

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

right here we go last Sunday Sean Ashby won the canal match on the grand union canal with 16lb
right he was in one of the best areas 209 glebe street
this match was every other peg so 207 209 211 now i now for sure one person only took bread whether it was 207 or211 the fact of the matter he just didn't catch at tall now was it down to the bait or was it because every other peg was in this match.
matches have been won from 207 208 209 210 211
would it be better to put every peg in and then at least more anglers would have a chance of catching if the fish are shoaled up i know perhaps 16lb would not win the match but i'm sure it would make the match closer  could bill of made his bread work on these pegs
Sean would not of taken any bread where others put both in one short one long [I've done this in the past and have caught ] some say this splits the fish and a other point is even with Russian joker most of the roach catches came off the bottom and some caught early and some late this suggests to me the fish either moved into the gaps or were swims through the canal
all canal mouths on the river are full of roach at the minute yet its gin clear and no extra flow i hope we get some good answers to this  Image
hammo

Unread post by hammo »

iam certain it wasnt the bread, i was on this section in the first winter league. the trentman won it with 19lb one of those pegs in the trees,the shoal is very tightly packed under the trees and having every other peg is such an advantage .the anglers either side caught next to nothing and the weather was mild then, in fact the whole section put together i think didnt manage double figures.the trouble is i think every other peg helps a lot more bad pegs than it does flyers so your in a no win situation.it is impossible to make a perfect fair match you just have to hope lesser anglers like you draw these pegs and balls them up makeing the match fairer for everyone. Image Image Imageit just happens some years where all the fish want to be together next year or even next match may be different,you just had a quality angler on a flyer Image Image
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by Dodge »

Joff , if that area at glebe street always produces as it holds a good head of fish every peg should always be put in imho. With gaps the fish can surely back off from the pegs where they are being caught into empty pegs .
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by bill yards »

OK here goes, only my opinions though.

Firstly I find these punched bread reads and opinions very interesting as you can generally pick something up from them, - you never stop learning at this game.

From the onset I never ever use Punch Crumb, - the only one that I found near the mark was made by Baitex. All my mixes are made by myself from bread and only bread (not bothered what make it is and the crusts are used as well). Living near an Asda I often use their 'cheapies' to make feed.

Fact is that all canals fish different to the punch, conditions ALWAYS dictate.

There are canal venues in the Midlands where the punch will beat b&j but in the main (not always though) if b&j is 'in' it will generally be the better bet. This, however, could simply be due to the fact that more people, in the match, are fishing b&j or for that matter vice versa. This is all really conjecture and in a way keeps us all match fishing.
We can all relate times to when one bait has battered another. The Staffs-Worcs at Stafford used to be the scene of many big matches and lots were won with gudgeon. The fact remains although b&j scored because most fished it one heck of a lot of the matches were won with big red maggot on the hook!

Some venues also respond to different ways of fishing and presenting the punch, there are many. Some respond better fished down the track, some to the bottom of the far shelf, some on the far shelf and in a few cases you can catch short. If this is tied in with the many ways of fishing the punch and what sized fish you are looking at, it all comes down to experience and probably more important remembering things.
Some days you may need 'proper' roach and on hard days small fish, - all this depends on the day, the conditions and the venue.

If I can make a comparison. Turn the clock back to when John Dean won everything on the Trent, you could ask him why he fed at that paricular moment and he couldn't tell you in words, he knew it was right though. The same applies to many types of match fishing including punch.
Chavey has my utmost respect, although he fishes a completely different circuit to me using different punch methods, he will know what I am trying to say.

I can honestly say it is very rare, (even if I catch crappity smack all), that I get through less than 1.5 lbs of bread feed in a match, even at this time of the year Image Image Image Image Image
Why, because I feel it is right.

Must admit I would like to give the canal in Loughborough a go on the 'bread' but I feel it would take a few trips to get it somewhere near right. I am sure it could be achieved though. Image Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

any time bill i love to see your results i know it works and we have spoken about it times yet the roach don't respond as you'd of thought
now this year i've had one of the best seasons on bread but thats been on the river Image
Waveney_One

Unread post by Waveney_One »

Fishing bread on the river tomorrow. I think that perhaps I will have to get a match pack and some joker as the fishing around here on the river gets harder and harder.