If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

proper bloke

For TK's trip down Memory Lane.

Moderator: TK

joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

proper bloke

Unread post by joffmiester »

bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

proper bloke

Unread post by bill yards »

Def one for Kingfisher,

Always had his sleeves rolled up Image Image Image Image
MrV
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Personal Text: Still waiting on an end peg!!
Match Team/ Club: Cashmores MG
Sponsor: NHS

proper bloke

Unread post by MrV »

CS ??
old_trentman

proper bloke

Unread post by old_trentman »

YES THE GREAT CLIVE SMITH HE SHOWED ME THAT MUCH ITS UN TRUE HE WAS THE BEST TEAM CATPAIN HAD GREAT FISHING BRAIN AND HE WAS A GREAT LEADER Image Image Image Image
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

proper bloke

YES THE GREAT CLIVE SMITH HE SHOWED ME THAT MUCH ITS UN TRUE HE WAS THE BEST TEAM CATPAIN HAD GREAT FISHING BRAIN AND HE WAS A GREAT LEADER

Echo every word; I have mentioned that before on this site.

Great guy to know as well, no edge whatsoever Image Image Image
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: MaverBaitech
Sponsor: Maver / Baitech

proper bloke

Unread post by CHOPWORM HERO »

A great team captain, maybe the best ever !
Here's a story, I remember Tony telling me Cofton had a match on the thames (AT semi I think) and the objective was to qualify for the final.
Anyway back at the tackle shop where I worked on Saturdays, Tony's modifying this shakespeare ugly stick rod (I think !) and fitting a quiver to it.
What you doing says I, Tony said Clive had decided it was going to be a long chuck on the feeder in order to catch a chub maybe only one bite in 5 hours ! This was the rod they had come up with in order to get the distance and see the bite,He reckoned most would catch one and this would be enough to win. No other method was to be employed.
I did not go with Tony on Sunday as a Swadlincote AA event was beckoning !
The following Saturday at the shop I ask Tony how they got on, "Qualified" say's Tony who went on to say he had 1 chub for good points ! on said method !
Kingfisher might have to correct this a bit(maybe !)
Now that's what I call good captaincy Image
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

proper bloke

I can remember loads of matches with Clive Smith.

It was a sad day when he passed away so young.
The following week I was at Swarkestone on the regular opens.
Ken Giles was there too; he drew near me, (high bank area). I can't remember if he came to me or I went to him but we just sat on the bank talking about Clive and his endless achievements. We spoke for that long neither us had even set up when the whistle went. We just carried on talking while the match went on. If I remember right we never did set up,- - one of the greatest and I rarely, if ever use that word. Image Image Image Image Image
MrV
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Personal Text: Still waiting on an end peg!!
Match Team/ Club: Cashmores MG
Sponsor: NHS

proper bloke

Unread post by MrV »

I think one of the first fishing videos (probably betamax lol) I ever watched was of Clive, and I think it was Ken, fishing on the hot water outfall at Lanesborough. Stick float fishing if I remember right. Following that we booked our first ever trip to Ireland :D
Sat behind him a few times at various matches when I was learning, and what a mine of information. A true gentleman, and a very sad day for all anglers when he passed away :(
old_trentman

proper bloke

Unread post by old_trentman »

Yes he was a great leader . CWH you are not far wrong about that match but it was on the upper Severn i think a place called Elmstrey .Was Captain Morgon round and we had been draw away to a team called LMS Clive and 2 0r 3 other members of the team went to look at the stretch going like a train no way you could float fish . It was before swimfeeders were around it was all meat on the lead . We had a team meeting about a week before and Clive but his plan to the rest of the team that we all need to fish the meat for one fish ie chub . You will all need 12 ft glass rod fitted with softer tip but strong to take the lead to hld btm .
His plan was to fish the meat on ever peg with a link and a lot of swan shot fitted to hold btm but round the swan shot was to be mould a meatey paste to feed the swim . I drawn on the end peg looked good but boy was it fast i ended up putting about 12 swan shot on my link to hold btm had 3 chub for 7pound ish and won the match i think 4 of our team had a chub and we won well to next round . But every member fished the same has we were told to do bye Clive and the meat moulded round to swan shot is like the method feeder of today 30 years before time . A great angler who is sadly missed by lot of anglers
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

proper bloke

Unread post by joffmiester »

I can remember loads of matches with Clive Smith.

It was a sad day when he passed away so young.
The following week I was at Swarkestone on the regular opens.
Ken Giles was there too; he drew near me, (high bank area). I can't remember if he came to me or I went to him but we just sat on the bank talking about Clive and his endless achievements. We spoke for that long neither us had even set up when the whistle went. We just carried on talking while the match went on. If I remember right we never did set up,- - one of the greatest and I rarely, if ever use that word. Image Image Image Image Image

the very same thing occurred bill when i got the phone call from chris about IVAN i can remember it as thou it was yesterday December 5th i had drawn the first field at normanton the match hadn't started when the phone call came i sat in silence on my box for half a hour or more i remember getting off my peg and walking to rob Jones two fields away the sky was really blue as i gassed up i got with in 10 yards of him he put his hand up and said i know what your going to say with tears in he's eye's already and like you and ken we just sat and talked about IVAN i never did fish December 5th 2004 just about a month before he'd sat behind me on the brinks on the damp bank with his trainers on soaking wet he said had i caught i said yes 3 chub and a barbel but i've lost my best stick float bye the end of that week i had a dozen homemade sticks made by IVAN seating on my desk and IVAN sitting there with a drink and a cream cake like a lot of fridays but still in those trainers someone once said how would i describe IVAN
i simply said a millionaire of fishing knowledge