If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

R. Yare - 28th August

Share your Match Results or Fishing Stories Here.

Moderator: bill yards

Waveney_One

R. Yare - 28th August

Unread post by Waveney_One »

There was a cold wind blowing and the weather had a decidedly autumnal touch to it on Saturday. We had also had a lot of rain during the week which had taken the colour out of the river and the colourometer read 2' 6" instead of the 8 -10 inches it had read throughout the summer. That meant that the skimmers would be a lot harder to find than they had been and roach would be making up at least some of the framing weights. The only reason why they would not make up all the weights was the big flood tide that would be running in all day. There were 57 anglers who fished the match.

And so it proved to be, whilst the top weight was mostly skimmers, Tim Nash on peg 93 with 28lb 11oz there were loads of roach caught including equal second placed angler John Taylor who had an all roach and pole caught of 27lb 10oz with fish from 2oz to nearly a pound. Doug Botley also had 27lb 10oz but on the feeder with 11lb of skimmers and 16lb of roach. Brian Gooch had 24lb 4oz of mainly roach and a few skimmers on the tip for fourth. Brian Weavers had 23lb 11oz for 5th. 6th was Peter Dade with 23lb 10oz.

All in all it was a very close match again with quite a few 20lb weights and only 4 weights below 10lb and 2 DNW's. The section winners were not all 20lb weights this last week but given the time of the year and with a neap ebb tide nearly all day next week I expect it to be a roach bonanza on the pole. Just hope that there isn't too much wind.

I know that Jimmy Wilson won his section on the Boards but to be honest can't remember the rest of the sections. I got absolutely soaked walking back to the pub in a downpour and having had 27lb of pole caught roach off the next peg to my 14lb 2oz which was 3 small skimmers and some roach I wasn't in the best of moods to be honest. At least I was on the winning method. So I had a pint and departed for home.
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: MaverBaitech
Sponsor: Maver / Baitech

R. Yare - 28th August

Unread post by CHOPWORM HERO »

Good write up mate Image
It's still excellent fishing, only 14lb mate !!!!
Better luck this Saturday Image
I am still thinking about the 11th just got to talk to the mrs ! and get my head around the 350 mile (round trip) journey !
I have not hardly seen the family for the last three days so the time is not right today !
Keep up the excellent reports
CWH
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

R. Yare - 28th August

Unread post by Dodge »

I would poke someones eyes out for 14lb of roach ! Image  Image Image 

Brilliant match by the sounds of things   Image  8-)
ziggy

R. Yare - 28th August

Unread post by ziggy »

Hi Waveney, I fished the river Saturday just to the left of the pub upstrem of the last moored boat. The wind made it very difficult and I felt for you guys who managed to stay dry all day and then got soaked wet through walking back to the pub. On reflection I didn't fish the olivetted down hard enough and should have used a larger float to hold it steady. Did you catch holding it back or were you running it through?? To the un-initiated; the river was running harder than Usain Bolt.
Waveney_One

R. Yare - 28th August

Where you were it would have been running even harder than it was where I was. I must have walked past you. It would have been hammering into your feet on that tide. I like the Usain Bolt analogy, just about sums it up :D

Most of the fish were coming when it was held back but you would have needed a big float where you were, 4 or 5 gram flat float maybe. You obviously didn't have a lot of choice peg wise on Saturday but there are areas where the flow wouldn't have been so bad on a flood tide. Tucked around a bend would have been good. I was on the straight leading up to Rockland pump.
ziggy

R. Yare - 28th August

Unread post by ziggy »

Yr absolutely spot on about the tide hammering into my feet!! I was feeding about 4 ft from the bank and it was being scooped up and shot halfway across the river!! When the tide turned, everything reversed and I ended up running a stick float down the edge. I believe we're going to be pegged either side of the pub next Sunday so it will be fingers crossed!! I've got a couple of the Cralusso Torpedo's from 6g up to 10g and if I end up in the rapids again I'll be nailing it to the bottom good and hard!!
Waveney_One

R. Yare - 28th August

Should be a good tide on Sunday, High Water about 10 am and a neap tide on the Saturday so you shouldn't need a very heavy float. To the left of the pub in the 50's you could get away with a gramme and a half or 3 grammes probably.
ziggy

R. Yare - 28th August

Unread post by ziggy »

Did you catch on the Caster last weekend?
Waveney_One

R. Yare - 28th August

Yes, I did. Fish of all sizes. On Saturday If I have deep enough water close enough in I shall try a 6 metre whip to hand and see if I can't catch on that.