If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Cashmores Match 12 2010 - Err, unlucky peg 13?????

Post your Cashmores Results and Match Reports here.

Moderators: MrV, kod

TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

With 20 pegs booked for this one, the river Trent at Swarkestone, at one stage I was a little concerned that I hadn’t sufficient pegs as we had a few guests up for it. Image

However, as it turned out, I needn’t have worried, as the holiday season kicked in, a few late sick notes were handed in and of course there’s always the CBA gang  ::)

On Friday night I discussed pegging with Heinzer. Now I’d only ever walked the section upstream of the bridge. Heinzer had clocked the pictures on the DRAC website and was adamant that he wanted a downstream peg in the faster water. As for myself, I ‘knew’ how I wanted to fish the water, so told him he was welcome to have a downstreamer, I wanted one of the deeper upstream pegs Wasn’t fussed where, as long as it didn’t entail a ‘long’ walk.

Jonah accompanied us in convoy to the venue. 5 minutes away I had a call from Abuman who adised that it had been pegged out for us by the DRAC bailiff -  a surprising but pleasant gesture - thanks DRAC. Image Image

Pegs 20 to 12 were above the bridge, pegs 11 to 1 below.

The draw was made………with almost everyone drawn I dipped in with a few pegs left in the bag………..aghhhhhhhhhh - peg 11 - first one below the bridge. Image  Image

Off  I trotted. Well I didn’t really cuss Heinzer was on end peg 1 - two meadows down - and he dropped me off.  Image  Image

The good thing about this section is that you can drive and park behind all of the pegs   Image

Downstream of me on 10 was river crack Abuman - spose his forum name gives a bit of a clue.  :D Given the spaces between some of the pegs, I was a little surprise how ‘close’ he was to me - cuss the gaps between some of the pegs must have been 100 yards or more………. Image

The off. My inside threw up a few bleak. After 15 mins I was shocked  Image to learn Abuman had already had 3 chub and some dace on the wag, :o

I plodded away, but the wind was a nightmare causing all sorts of problems in trying to ‘hold a line’.  Image Think a few suffered the same fate as it was real blowy and ruined what could have been a far more productive match for some.  :'(

The wag was only chucked a couple of times because with the pace within seconds I was in Abumans peg  Image

Well not a lot else to report from me match wise - a couple of stripeys, a few roach in the last hour when I’d almost decided to pack up after having a ‘brolly up, brolly down’ sort of match.  :(

The all out, packed up and waited for Mrv to come along with the scales and we’d plod down to weigh in from peg 1.

Heinzer however saved that extremely long plod to peg 1 and rolled up in the car to take us both down to that far downstream part of the river.  Image

We weighed in and jumped aboard the car which sped things up, because as I say there were some extremely long gaps between anglers……… :o

As suspected, Abuman set the benchmark after weighing in pegs 1 to 9, although rumours filtered down that someone above the bridge had ‘bagged up’. Image

With 2 golden pegs in the bag, one was safe as Yamo on 7 weighed in, but that other was above the bridge. I’d got it in my head that the GP’s were 7 and 14. Image Image Image

After Abuman, neither myself or Millie were anywhere close and MrV on 13 weighed in. Couldn’t quite push Abuman, but a nice bag of roach and silvers.

Next to Jonah on ‘GP’ 14. He fell just short of MrV by half ounce and took quite a bit of flack for ‘blowing’ a golden peg and missing out on 100 sovs or so  Image ………………and MrV was ‘congratulated’ for ‘saving’ the golden peg pot  Image

The guys above him had tipped back.

It was then I noticed the hieroglyphics scribbled on the results sheet……..  Image

The GP’s were actually peg 7 & 13  Image Image

Despite finishing 2nd on the day to that river crack known as Abuman,  MrV had actually taken the GP pot (visitors do not participate in it) - without realising it  Image

Well from a treasurers perspective - if it’s go to go, good to see it going on a river, rather than a commie…….and reward for those members who take the trouble to turn out and fish the ‘natural’s (Sorry Gill, pop over)  ;)

Anyway here’s the tale of the scales………

PEG ABOVE THE BRIDGE
17 GLYNN DNW
15 MICK DNW
14 JONAH 7.9.8
13 MRV 7.10.0
12 MILLIE 1.2.4

BELOW THE BRIDGE

11 TK 2.8.10
10 ABUMAN 8.13.8
9 COTTI 5.5.10
7 YAMO 3.7.6
6 JUAN CHUB 3.14.12
5 ZORRO 1.2.15
4 KOD 2.8.8
2 BRAMBLES 0.3.0
1 HEINZER 2.7.6

So congrats to MrV……………….and one thing coming out of this match (besides seeing that the river isn’t dead) - I’ve got a ghost to exorcise next year on there  Image
Geoff_E
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by Geoff_E »

Good report TK Image
MrV
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Personal Text: Still waiting on an end peg!!
Match Team/ Club: Cashmores MG
Sponsor: NHS

Unread post by MrV »

Great report as usual TK. Apart from drawing "unlucky" peg 13 and the scales, I had a few strokes of luck on Saturday, plus one bit of bad luck.
1. peg 13 was right next to the draw, so no walking.
2. The peg was not quite as windy as the ones downstream of the bridge.
3. I could get into the water and wade, which I prefer on the Rivers.
4. Heinzer provided me and TK with a taxi service to weigh in Image Thanks Dave!!

I started on the 5 mtr whip, feeding hemp and bronze mag in the 5ft deep swim, while loosefeeding hemp and caster down the middle (9 ft deep)
Had a few silvers on the whip, but they backed off after an hour, so out with the stick, and picked up a few chunky Roach further down the peg.
As it slowed I had a few chucks on the wag, but no joy. It was quite pacey down the middle, and I felt I was fishing it too light, so a quick float and shotting change for later and had a few more on the stick.
With an hour and half to go, out with the wag again and it brought me 4 small (8oz) chub, followed by a few dace and Roach. I did bump a few, as the light conditions made spotting the bites difficult, no matter what colour float I put on.
Thoroughly enjoyed the day, and the Golden peg was a bonus. (soon to be spent though, as when I emptied my leftover maggots in the river out of my bait apron, my mobile phone followed them)  Image
Please Mr Match secretary, can we have a few more on the Trent next year  (Coors water is fishing well again I hear  Image
Martin_Evans

Unread post by Martin_Evans »

I enjoyed this one. Caught all mine on the stick using my trusty centerpin! Not the biggest bag I have caught but one of the most satisfying, especially in the conditions. Lost a monster early doors though.  :(
Had a baffling moment at the weigh in.. About half weigh through, I caught a tiny barbel. Held it up to Yamo and commented on it. Come the weigh in - no Barbel  :o
Agree MrV - More of the same next year please!  Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

The written application for a couple of matches in that 'kneck of the woods' has gone in today guys Image Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Come the weigh in - no Barbel

Martin_Evans

Unread post by Martin_Evans »

Come the weigh in - no Barbel

:D Dunno what happened to him. I heard someone say "Sure it wasn't a gudgeon?" Yes I'm bloody sure!  Image I think all that fresh air must have got to my head  :D
Maybe I need to change my name to 'No Barbel'
Geoff_E
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by Geoff_E »

Or should have gone to specsavers Image
Brambles

Unread post by Brambles »

Good commentaries T K and Mr V thanks. Apart from the wind and occasional heavy rain I enjoyed my day. Nice to be able to park next to my peg although the condition ofbank was not so good, still, we can't always get the armchair out Image

After 3 hours without a bite and a definite lack of bleak in my swim I was a bit despondent Image lost a lot of time undoing tangles. Then after a word with Heinzer - a sucked maggot then 3 small roach in the last half hour Image

Congratulations Mr V and seems like Martin E borrowed Tommy Coopers net. Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

I heard someone say "Sure it wasn't a gudgeon?" Yes I'm bloody sure!

I'll consider myself suitably chastised then Image

MrV
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Personal Text: Still waiting on an end peg!!
Match Team/ Club: Cashmores MG
Sponsor: NHS

Unread post by MrV »

Congratulations Mr V and seems like Martin E borrowed Tommy Coopers net.

Love it Bambles Image
abuman
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG

Unread post by abuman »

Hi All! Superb Match, hope Tk can get a few more on the Trent at Shardlow and Swarkstone next year. My match went really good, some stegs in front of me and down on my stick line. Had a couple of fish at the start, but got stuck in the weed over to the waggler, however, I was catching from the beginning, I bumped a few and lost two in the weeds, as we do, really ejoyed it, thanks all Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

TK where's the photo's gone Image i must admit I've not been getting the camera out either :-/ :-/ :-/
Glyncar69

Unread post by Glyncar69 »

good match on the trent,really enjoyed it but i think i should have done alot better???.well done abuman and mrv.
in fact enjoyed it so much ive just gone and bought me a new rod and a new reel.13/17foot superteam lxl and new abu 706(any comments on them)so heres looking forward to many more matches down the rivers.
ps anyone going coors open on sunday.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

TK where's the photo's gone

A combination of things tharted the snapping opportunities Joffie........

a) it was one of those brolly up, brolly down days
b) apart from Abuman close by, everybody else was 'miles away'
c) I ended up on the scales with MrV and all that entails carrying scales, weighing board etc

in fact enjoyed it so much ive just gone and bought me a new rod and a new reel.13/17foot superteam lxl and new abu 706

I better cancel a couple of the 2011 commie matches and shove an extra two river matches on instead so that you can get your monies worth out of 'em ;)
ps anyone going coors open on sunday

Nope, cant do - but if you do let us know how you get on and send my regards to Tony Vandome Image
Glyncar69

Unread post by Glyncar69 »

will pass on your regards to tony,hes gone down the wye for a couple of days.(one or two extra on the river would be good)