If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Grueller match 2 - the CURSE strikes back

Post your Cashmores Results and Match Reports here.

Moderators: MrV, kod

TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Well just before the end of this 2nd grueller, someone quipped ‘I can’t wait to read the write up of this one on the forums’.

Well, just where do I start Image   Image

After another severe overnight frost, the car was loaded and I popped back into the house to pick up my last few tranklements.

As I locked the back door, ‘What was that?’ I thought to myself.

‘Huh? A flake of snow?’

Yep, on the couple of mile drive to Yates for the drawer, we had a blizzard.  Image

In fact, on arriving with it getting on for 8.25am I was the first there. ‘Where were all the early birds?’ Usually Big Baz and Co would now be tucking into a brekie. Had everyone come to their senses and decided to turn over and stack a few more zzzzzzzz’s up?

Would it be a one man match or could I slope off back home too?  Image

Alas those second wishes were not to be realized as gradually a group hardy anglers began to turn up including Snowie for his first taste of a grueller – nice to meet you Snowie. Image

Talking of Snowie, the snow continued to fall as brekies were munched. I couldn’t quite gauge the intentions of the crew. Did they want to give it a go or not Image. Would anyone have the courage to be the first to say ‘Sod it, I’m off back home Image ’ The nearest we got to that was the suggestion that we pay our pools and have a draw for them. Obviously no brain cells were working between us all at that time of the morning. Image

Everyone wanted peg 5………apparently no ice breaking was needed on that one. But only one person could have it and it fell to non other than Goldenballs……..no just why did I christen him with that name a few years ago?  :D

The draw made and cars headed off. The snow had abated for a few minutes, but on the half mile drive to the cut, it started again. Parked up I sat in the car and had a nicotine injection as I watched the others unload their gear resembling walking snowmen.

‘Sod it, let’s get on with it’ I thought with ciggi finished.

On arriving at my peg for the next few hours I was greeted with the sight of Mick G weighing up things to my right…….

And to my left…….

A delayed start time of 10.30am was put further back to 11am as it became evident that ice breaking would take longer than originally anticipated. Even with the likes of man mountain Big Col wielding a 15lb sledgehammer head on the ice this was no easy feat – you had to land than lump within 3 ins of the edge of the ice or it just bounced off it.  :o

Thanks to everyone who worked together the time flew as well as the wise cracks – thanks guys, that’s what its all about. Image Image

Personally I was happy with my peg, but disappointed that a hole approaching 6 meters into the track was the best I could muster – even big Col couldn’t smash the ice any further – with the far shelf and normally fish holding bush to my right a no reach area.

Remnants of the breaking

Look at that flyer………and I can’t get at it.

Just a couple of rigs were set up – one to fish the bottom of the inside shelf at about 3 mtrs and down in the track at the end of my hole.

The tow path was soon a hive of activity. Just after the off Zorro popped down to bring Yamo his winter clobber…….only one problem………no Yamo.

Zorro watched my motionless float for getting on for half hour, joker on the hook, followed by punch and bworm failed to provoke owt.

‘How many lb you got Mick?’ ‘Aint had a bite' was the response’. With him staying put on the joker with no bites I decided to drag either a bworm around or a white caster, looking for Dodge’s kamikaze stripey that I hoped had swum the 4 miles up the cut from Beechdale. Image

Zorro departed, followed 5 mins later by Yamo.

Reports all along the bank were of no bites, with the exception of Blees4ever who was rumored to have had one, or was he hallucinating?  Image

Other bank walkers to witness this spectacular included Tricast62, MickP, OBI and MrV on the bridge.

Then a call from Yamo…….

‘Do pike count?’

‘No’ was my reply

‘The guy on the end peg is playing one around the 6lb mark on a 12oz bottom, taken on the punch!!!’

20 mins later evidence of the capture was shown on Yamo’s phone. I felt a touch guilty in ‘disqualifying’ the fish after such a feat to actually net it.   

An hour to go, and still no news of anything being caught.

Off I toddled just to take a few pictures for posterity.

Cotti (below) owned up to missing two, not one, but two bites on the punch  Image

Whilst the Essox Lucius master – Mr Woodward on end peg could still muster a smile despite his disqualified fish

Sprucey was another bank walker, admitting his ice breaking days were over   :P ;)

On peg 11 i’ts Mr Dutton

Golden Balls on that flyer

Wedgey next door wandering why he’d let Golden balls talk him into coming

Blues4ever dipping into the box for plan X, Y and Z

Then a shout goes up…….Big Col has hooked a ‘wasp’

Time marches on and it looks like that wasp is gunna be worth 70 sovs……..

“All out’ as Golden Balls is left ruing a couple of late missed bites after he’s finally moved onto his long line in the last 10 minutes.

Everyone thinks Big Col has scooped the pot………….that is until 2 larger perch are produced from pegs 16 and 14 relegating Big Col  into 3rd place.

Well I did feel a little happier for the winner – K Woodward - having disqualified his earlier pike.

In second place was Ian Davis, followed home by Big Col and 11 drynets……..the cut had seen off a few decent anglers today………or was it the Curse   Image Image Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Just for the record

Peg

1 MarkV - DNW
2 Big Baz - DNW
3 Blues4eva - DNW
4 The Wedge - DNW
5 Golden Balls - DNW
6 Mick G - DNW
7 TK - DNW
8 Big Col - a tiny perch
9 Snowie - DNW
10 Sibeck - DNW
11 D Sutton - DNW
14 Ian Davies - a slightly bigger perch
15 Cotti - DNW
16 K Woodward - best perch of the day

me
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Personal Text: ENGLISH AND PROUD

Unread post by me »

I don't know wether to laugh or cry for you all TK. Another one of you top reports with some very picuresk photos. I think this match points to my topic in fish talk to why pike arent aloud to be caught in a match. After sitting there in them conditions then managiging to play the pike and land it on such light tackle diserves a medal on its own.

Welldone to you all for being such idiots so brave
Image Image
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Unread post by Simple »

Bloody hell TK, what you doing to these poor lads Image

Excellent write up as usual Image Image
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Happily retired.
Match Team/ Club: Maggotdrowning.com
Sponsor: Taxpayers.

Unread post by Mugger »

Great report and photos TK. Image

None of you better answer the front door for a while though, as it will be the nice men in white coats to cart you all off to the funny farm.
You're barking, the lot of you. Image Image Image
:cheerleader :cheerleader Watch out, watch out, there's a Mugger about :cheerleader :cheerleader
MarkV
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by MarkV »

It all started to go wrong before I got there. Big Baz pegged it out with white tickets….and then it snowed.

I knew it was definitely going wrong when we unearthed my peg number. Three metres out was a lump of masonary,  Four or five engineering bricks in mortar someone had managed to lob and had stayed there..

Never been on a real ice-breaker before, but it was a bit of fun.
I did a couple of hours on the GU yesterday with only a bit of wafer ice, but as Sprucey pointed out when he came down for a laugh, canals that tow aren’t anywhere near as bad.

TK demonstrated his breaking technique, from nearside to outside with aplomb as Big Col wiped the dripping sweat from his mush. I was getting concerned. Was I up to it ? Maybe I should have had another shredded wheat after all and wished I’d got some gloves.

I needn’t have worried., when my turn came I loved it. Bish bash wallop,  Heeeee haaaaaaa !  Image Bostin excuse for a lark. Thanks for the loan Sibeck, good breaker that. I’m fitter than I thought.

First put in was 35min after the off for me as I was last to break  Needn’t have worried, I never had a bite.

Shirley Bassies rendition of ‘Climb every mountain’ was ringing in my head from the car. Kept thinkin’, I’m tryin’ I’m tryin’ ..just cant get a bite !  :(

Baz reminded me again ‘how bad the sky was getting’ over there and I started to whistle ‘Over the Rainbow’  but it didn’t work and rain came to numb the fingers.  :'(

Had a bugger of an itch in me moon boot. One of those which doesn’t go away and you wonder whats in there. Ever tried scratching an itch through a moon boot ? Poked a bankstick down it in the end. They’re almost too much trouble to put on let alone take off.

Still not a bite and no fish reported except one ‘till near the end. Turns out there were a couple more.

Saw someone on the bridge, didn’t know it was Mr V. Apologies if I missed you.

Best of banter of the day, one lad during the ice breaking, wondering how, as it was Saturday and the big night of the week, he was going to explain to his missus he was totally tuckered out for anything adventurous should she mention it, when he was supposed to have been doing nothing other than sitting on his arris all day fishin’.  Image

To take a positive out of  the day, as the football managers so often tell us,
I was able to practice my whistling to my hearts content, undisturbed.
Hope Baz didn't hear.  Image
me
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

Unread post by me »

mark v - cracking. Image Image Image Image
Youve taken my mind right off my op for a bit Thanks mate
Image Image
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Unread post by Simple »

Top report Mark Image Image

All you need is some photo's Image Image
me
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

Unread post by me »

marks reports are better with out pics si so you can image whats happening from what mark is writing. The pics ive got of him in my head with that ice breakers Image, i could just picture him throwing the breaker but it flying to far and running out of rope but mark still hanging on to it and following the breaker across the cut Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

best part of my day so far TK brilliant as usual Image Image Imageit must of been bad i never seen so many photos Image Imageeven my mate who had just come back from a sking holiday didn't have that many Image Image Image Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

League after two gruellers......... Image

K WOODWARD 5 30 35
BLUES4EVA 29 5 34
BIG BAZ 28 5 33
BIG COL 5 28 33
SIBECK 27 5 32
MICK G 26 5 31