If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Wigston A.S. Teams of Four Winter League

Upcoming Match Information and Venue Advice Here.
Nursey
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: Wigston A.S.

Unread post by Nursey »

Wigston A.S. teams of four winter league on the GUC near Glen Parva Leicester, kicks-off on Sun 10th Jan.
6 match series - dates are as follows:
Sun 10th Jan
Sun 17th Jan
Sun 24th Jan
Sun 07th Feb
Sun 21st Feb
Sun 28th Feb

No bloodworm or joker.
£20 entry per team for the series
£15 individual pools per match

We will also be running 3 opens in December -13th, 20th & 27th (Mick Holohan Memorial)

For more info or to book-in, please contact Steve Oakes on 07941 361753  Image

Unread post by Guest »

HI Nursey,

Could u tell me if there is still an open being fished this sunday by wigston? I have never fished this venue before and if you could let me know the best methods for this time of year i would be grateful

Cheers ian
Nursey
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by Nursey »

Ian & All,
Just a reminder that its the Wigston A.S. Fur & Feather match (Plenty of spirits up for grabs!) This Sunday (20th Dec) and also the Mick Holohan Memorial on Sun 27th Dec.

Both matches should be at Aylestone (subject to water levels). Joe Oakes won last weeks open there with 14lb 4oz which included 4 chub plus perch and roach.

Draw will be at the Choice cafe on Aylestone Road. To book-in, please call Steve Oakes on 07941 361753.

Hope to see you there
Nursey
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: MaverBaitech
Sponsor: Maver / Baitech

Unread post by CHOPWORM HERO »

See you Sunday Image
Hopefully will be well enough !
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by bill yards »

CWH

Don't get stuffing bread in your gob; you might catch summat.

Glad your OK again Image
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Bill,
I will probably have something to eat at the cafe before the draw and leave it at that !
Deffo no B and J for me !!!! Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

adam can you put us down for two teams mate Image Image
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Do you know where this is Joff :D :D :D :D will be nice to see your lot. Should be fifty odd now on it :)
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

Image Imageand i'm not running it Image Image
Nursey
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by Nursey »

Joff,
Got you booked-in for two teams - no problem. Image

I need to double check with Steve Oakes, but by my calculations we are now looking at 13 teams (inc 2 made-up teams) of individuals giving us a 52 pegger  Image

Draw for each match will be 8am at the Choice Cafe on Aylestone Road/Corner of Lothair Rd. Breakfast available from 7am.

Results and pay-out will be at the Black Horse Pub, Narrow Lane (off Marsden Lane) Aylestone LE2 8NA.

I'll be printing-out directions to each section for anyone not familiar with the access points.

Cheers & Merry Christmas
Nursey

Ps. Mick Holohan Memorial match at Aylestone this Sunday (27th) if anyone is interested (got 20 odd at the moment), give Steve Oakes a call on 07941 361753
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Nursey can I fish as an individual or in a made up team because I am not sure yet if I can make the last two.
Cheers mate see you Sunday.
Nursey
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by Nursey »

Richie,
Got you down as an individual fishing in one of the made-up teams

See you Sunday
Nursey
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Thanks mate, see you 2morrow. Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

where'sthe results Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

if there is a team short i have a angler that wants to fish Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

have you a post code for the cafe adam Image
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Joff, its easy to get to mate.
Go to foss Park off M1, Keep going straight through all lights, pass foss park on left, keep on this road and then get into left hand lane. Come up to traffic lights, turn left, drive approx. 1 mile on this road and the cafe is on the right.
Nursey
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by Nursey »

Joff and All,
I'll get a post code sorted for the Choice cafe, but as Richie says, its pretty easy to find. If you are comming the other way (ie from Leic City Centre) its about half a mile from the Tigers ground on the left hand side(266 Aylestone Road, corner of Lothair Rd).

Having walked all the sections yesterday (still frozen) and looking at the weather forecast for this week,  there is a real possibility that the canal could be too frozen to break the ice on the first match. >:(
I've not done much ice breaking on canals, but I'm told that 1.5inch to 2 inch is about as much as you can manage with ice breaking kit?

Accordingly, I think its only fair to ask team captains what they want to do and go with the majority. Poss Options are:

1. If frozen (at all), move straight to our canalised section of the river Soar at Aylestone (still a canal, 5ft down the middle and its slow flowing).

2. Only move to above if ice deemed too thick to break.

3. Cancel the 1st match if it is too bad and fish a 5 match series. Options 1 & 2 would then need to be chosen for future rounds (hopefuly not!).

I know that some teams and individuals have other commitments that would make it a nightmare to try and slot another date in/tag one on the end, so I don't really want to go down that avenue.

For those of you not familiar with the canalised Soar at Aylestone, the fishing has been very patchy this Autumn and Winter, but the access and banking is good.
As well as your normal canal gear, you would also need need some bigger river type pole floats (flatties if in flood) and perhaps a wand/bomb rod.

What would teams like to do? :-/

Give us a call on 07860 112000 if you need any more info/want to discuss.

Thanks
Adam
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

adam i think you are in danger of the ice being too thick for ice breakers [well most anglers ice breakers]it might become a Farr's with anglers not being able to fish
i think it might be better to change the date as most of the teams are not in semi's and are looking to fish every week anyway
or cancel it but it might mean canceling the second one as well as ice will only get thicker as long as the temperature stays low and believe me it will take two weeks at least to melt a foot of ice
option three you could use the loughborough canal as that does move slightly and the ice wouldn't be as thick [it would have ice on it]and make it no B/J and for the hardship we would face i'd make the pegging fee £1so you could spread a little more money about Imagesee what you think
colly
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: Browning Northants

Unread post by colly »

Adam - Difficult one this! Both of our sides would prefer to stay on the 'normal' canal and are perfectly happy to break the ice. I fished in Mkt Harborough on Saturday and a couple of areas were ice free and it was only 1/2" max at Northampton yesterday.

BUT I know that a lot of the teams in this league are not keen on breaking the ice or do not have breakers, as a result if there is more than an inch of ice on, the match could be a very unpleasant day for most. With the forecast we could have 4" plus of ice on by Sunday!

I have no problem with the flowing section of the canal, but it is fishing so hard at the moment and I would guess that 50% of the match will blank - going by the fur and feather results!

My preference would be 1. stay on the canal unless there is more than 1" of ice on; 2. If there is more than 1" on move onto flowing section; 3. Cancel/re-schedule.

We don't have many free dates - don't worry about the semi final this will be a turn up on the day job - the sicknotes are already flying in :( Has been a nightmare trying to organise our teams for Northampton, Hankat, Wigston and Foxton leagues. 14th of Feb should be ok - we will have 4 anglers going to Foxton though. Next free date then is 14th March.

Loughborough Canal is an option - have no probem with this, but would only want to go there if the ice situation is significantly better than at Wigston - plus it is further to travel (for us anyway).

I think the 1st rnd of the Foxton/Wellingborough League will definately be called off this sunday - it was cancelled with cat ice on last year.

Going with the majority vote is the best way to go. Image