If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Grueller match 9 - When grown men cry............

Post your Cashmores Results and Match Reports here.

Moderators: MrV, kod

TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Report coming up in the morning

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
cheslynboy
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker
Personal Text: Fishing is relaxing except when on matches
Match Team/ Club: Rough Hay A C

Unread post by cheslynboy »

TK i went to the pub with goughy we where devastated Image Image Image
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Unread post by Simple »

we where devastated
Droopy Trumpet springs to mind lol  Image :D

Some Pics.....
http://yaleac.si-lad.com/gallery/v/2008 ... 09/match9/

Will add more when Budgie sends them through  Image
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Simple »

TK you must still be dazed. It was match 9 Image
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

Unread post by Dave C »

And its in the "Upcoming Matches" section. TK must have had a really bad day yesterday and gone crazy Image Image

He has only got 10 minutes of the morning left to post otherwise he is going to be late.
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Simple »

Budgies pictures now added to the gallery...

http://yaleac.si-lad.com/gallery/v/2008 ... 09/match9/
MarkV
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by MarkV »

I've penned a report already, to put it all behind me LOL
Dont know the results as I didnt hang around.
Just waiting for TK to post first.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

TK you must still be dazed. It was match 9
And its in the "Upcoming Matches" section.

Image Image Image.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

[movedhere] Cashmores Upcoming Matches [move by] T  K.
me
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Personal Text: ENGLISH AND PROUD

Unread post by me »

Report coming up in the morning

Its now 1 pm ie = afternoon so theres no change in the report not being up in the morning then Image
Image Image
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Simple »

Perhaps he means tomorrow Image Image Image
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

Unread post by Dave C »

He'd better not. >:( Image Image Im sitting here bored to tears, refreshing the screen every 5 minutes, waiting to read the latest exploits of the Gruellerites.
Obviously it must have been an action packed day for the report to be taking him so long. Image

Come on TK Image Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Patience is a virtue.................. :D

[move]Here you go[/move]

Well what can I say…………….? Don’t really want the ‘publicity’ from this report :D

There’s gruellers and there’s gruellers. Image

Despite the wailing and gnashing of teeth, match nine was only a par boiled grueller in comparison to some I’ve fished in the past…………..honest Image

In fact – in what some might describe as a perverse sense of way - I quite enjoyed the day and had many a laugh along the way……………much better than spending ‘alternative’ Saturdays standing outside Next Image

The curse kicked in straight away for me………I’d walked the bank – up to the pub, back to the bridge, down the common and back again pegging out. Sorted out the draw discs and away we were………..

Changing the habit of a lifetime………..I decided to dip in the bag first.

Aghhhhhhhhhh…….peg 1 another hoof up and longest walk up the tow path to come. Image

Draw done, I set off with Simps to peg 15 to clear his peg of ice, being as he’d never been on a breaker before. No probs – less that ½ inch thick. A couple of nibbles on the inside with the hammer and line………waste of time might as well break from far over as its only thin and can drag the sheets back.

3rd chuck and a problem…………shrieks of hysterical laughter from Simps as the cord follows the hammer………..I thought my foot – at at least Simps’ – was on the end of the cord. Image

Sh*te…………Simps get the pole out, the cord is recoverable from half way. Setting it up the curse strikes again………..Simps curses as he reckons one of the sections has ‘gone’ whilst assembling the pole. :o

Cord recovered and his peg his soon cleared.

Of I trots with Simps to clear my peg………collect all my gear by the bridge, noticing Cheslynboy has drawn another flyer…….the junction where a winter section record of 32lb of skimmers came off his peg during a winter league match several years back.

Bezza is also on Cottis favorite peg.........'He's gunna empty it today I think to myself'

Despite the walk I was relatively pleased with peg1, although I’d have preferred 2 – 7 really. A decent depth, usually plenty of silvers.

A little chuckle to myself on the way at some of the antics of others who've obviously never fished a ‘breaker’ before. Image Image Image

My pegs soon cleared and time to tackle up.

3 top kits are set up………..punch and joker rings for both close in and doubling up for a line across, and a rig for the track where it deepens off another 9ins to five foot.

Looking around I twig something, but it doesn’t quite ring home at this point. Image

Cheslynboy blows up just as Ball it In saunters up to ask me to tie him a hook on :o

Line are then fed – 2 joker – middle and across, near and long punch lines.

A look on the closest punch line at 4 mtrs……………….5 mins pass………..oh no, I quickly realize I’m in trouble………no bites. Image Image Image

20 mins go by, cant see anyone ‘doing owt’ Goughy shouts up from peg 3 ‘You had a bite TK?’

‘No’ is my response, ‘Nobody down here’s had a touch either’ is his retort.

Half hours gone and the dog and bone starts ringing………nobodies catching although Big Col’s snared a perch off peg 19. Image

Well not long after, bodies are seen walking the bank. The rumour is that there has been some dredging work…………..is that why there was a ‘reasonable colour’ in the cut, not just cuss of the ice beakers.

What had I twigged Image Yep, the tree right by the bridge, along with that opposite peg 3, have been severely lopped.

Well, I did have written notice from BWB that there was work being carried out along the 4 mile stretch between Jan and March.

‘It’s gunna be a grueller, but I’ll still snatch a few bits and pieces’ I think to myself.

I’m working my nuts off, never leaving the box, trying to make something happen.

Yamo comes for a walk half way through and lies besides me, relating a tale of an open he fished last week, at Curborough of all places, 19 fished………………………19 dry nets. Image

Well today aint that bad………..at least Big Cols got something……….and at the mo its worth quite a few quid. Image

Anyway the 4 hours flyby for me……………………………

……………without so much as a bost joker………...but I’ve enjoyed it all except the walk.

Anyway, records are always there to be broken…………….I’ve never had a dry net on the Curley Wyrley in 25 years…………….that’s that record gone. :'( :'( :'(

Due to a cock up with the scales…………and not my cock up I would add……….here’s the results……………

PEG
1 TK - BDM DRY
2 BALL IT IN DRY
3 GOUGHY DRY
4 ZORRO DRY
5 SPRUCEY DRY
6 SHARK DRY
7 GERRY 1st
8 COTTI DRY
9 CHESLYN BOY DRY
10 BEZZA 3rd
11 BUDGIE DRY
12 PHIL B DRY
13 YAMO DRY
14 VESTE DRY
15 SIMPS DRY
16 M PEARCE DRY
17 MARKV DRY
18 KOD DRY
19 BIG COL 2nd

The first second and third were apparently decided by a count of fish ……..

Grueller – what grueller Image Image

Who was it that said - If you’ve never had a dry net, you’ve never been fishing’
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

well at least Simps was 'relatively' chuffed with the result as his nearest contenders in the league never clawed any points back

[html]  <iframe src=http://si-lad.com/table.html frameborder="no" width="410" scrolling="no" height="590" allowtransparency="true" /></iframe>  [/html]
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Interesting table..........

Gerry missed a match cuss of his wife being at some awards and also didnt weigh in last match (although he'd caught) cuss he packed in half way through when he lost his pole section
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Simple »

Great report TK Image Image
Gerry would have won the series if he fished them all. Ahh well Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

You've got to be in it to win it Simps ;) Image
MrV
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Personal Text: Still waiting on an end peg!!
Match Team/ Club: Cashmores MG
Sponsor: NHS

Unread post by MrV »

Believe it or not, I am missing all this fun and fishing. Looks like this yrars gruellers have really lived up to their reputation. :-/
Whats happened to the KP this year TK? ;)
me
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Personal Text: ENGLISH AND PROUD

Unread post by me »

noww ive read that great report tk, im no pleased that the mrs got taken in to hospital making me miss the match Image
Image Image
MarkV
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by MarkV »

My preparation for this match had been extraordinary. In Sainsburys last week, I’d given into my delusion that I didn’t need glasses after colliding with the spectacle display. I decided I must do something.
Although frustrated by my lack of ability to tie hooks, thread line through silicon tubing and get joker on the hook, it was when I realised I could read how long to boil my spahetti that the decision was made to actually buy them.

I invested in a pair of ‘Foster Grants’ ! No holding me back now or wasting time fumbling with joker. They were added to my bait table.

The first distaster was when I looked at my icebraker in the boot of my car and decided to leave it at home. Couldn’t believe I’d done that when I arrived at the Fingerpost to see the ice. The canals by me on Friday were were clear.

The man on my right ( mick ?) and KOD to my left didn’t have one either. When man mountain Big Col passed me, with what looked like a car park bollard on a chain, I decided to say nothing.
Me and KOD used our poles to smash it.

Two or three pegs along, TK, who’d come down to help Simon, decided he didn’t need his either as he forgot to stand on the end of the rope. Howls of laughter rang along the canal. Someone said he’d had a skinfull the night before LOL.

The pre-match antics in my swim were ridiculous. I broke every rule in the book as I slapped the surface left right and centre. I was determined to fish more than one line. Quiet, stealth and concealment were right out the window. Mick on the next peg was keeping his thoughts to himself. I suspected he thought I was a nutter.

After the off and about a minute of unsuccessfully trying to hook a joker, I realised I’d got a rogue ‘un stuck to my spectacle lens. I knew then, it definitely wasn’t going to be a good day.

I’m reasonably happy now with my rigs and armed with worm and joker to the hilt, was confident of a few bites. I fed three lines, nearly 5m ahead. 7 ½ m to the left and right. All largely determined by the ice free space available. Plumbed them precisely and set them for an initial whisker off dead depth. I also left an area straight out at 9 m for a further attack.

I shifted shot, fiddled with the depth, twitched it, dragged it and held it ...…left it …. nothin’. I’m new to W&J but I’ve so much faith in it already, that if I haven’t had a bite after well over an hour on 4 lines, … it just ain’t happenin’.

I wandered down to KOD and whinged a while. Returned to my peg and time passed. After I’d successfully ‘motivated him’ I decided to try and impress him with my ‘celebrity spot’of the week. I asked before hand ‘if he ever watched football and described how I’d bumped into Andy Gray in Sainsbury’s with me trolly. He just said ‘who’s he?’ I looked back at me float.

Things weren’t getting any better. It’s at times like this I feel strangely drawn to the water, often wondering if I’m the only one. I could feel myself beginning to sway, and when I started to ‘see myself’ toppling in, I became alarmed and opened my eyes to see if my float was still there. No change.

I was now grappling with my conscience. All those distant words from my dad, ‘keep watching son’… it only takes a second to get a bite (like Brian Clough and it only takes a second to score a goal )… never give up !

I gave in. Sense prevailed and after more than three hours I packed up.

On the way back to the car park I passed Vesty making several attempts to net something. We asked him what he’d got and he said he’d tell us when he saw it. Concentrating hard, he scooped it safely. With his net between his legs he looked down and declared ‘i’ve got a pinkie’. Poor bloke he was delirious. I’d seen him trying to net a plummet earlier. Still, he provided amusement for the assembled Cashmore crew.

I continued back to the car, passing an absorbed Mr Berrow trying to scratch a small perch, eighteen inches out along the near edge. It had come to this.

Back at the car I found KOD had followed me. I asked him if TK had caught anything, but he said he didn’t know. I imagined TK hunched over a short pole, concentrating desperately, furiously trying to avoid a first ever DNW on his home cut. Would the tension be too much ?

Never mind …. we can always go back to work on Monday, I thought.

I forgot to look for the £6 quid sock I lost last week, headed for Gregs, consumed several cheese and ham pasties and bought a tin of Yacht Varnish from Wilko’s to sruce up me floats for next time ! …. Yeeeehah !