If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Puddledock Islands Lake, 20th Oct 2018

Marsh Results and Reports.

Moderator: Spamwham

Spamwham
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Puddledock Islands Lake, 20th Oct 2018

Unread post by Spamwham »

And so to our last match of the season and a new lake for us. 11 fished and for once in sunny and very pleasant conditions for the time of year.
Islands lake is a smallish 24 peg lake and 'all carp' so not really ideal for a late October match. Temperature overnight was 3 degrees with touches of frost, and combined with a shallow lake this meant the going was tough throughout. Usually a situation to get the maggots out, but today they did not deliver for the most part. So most were left trying a range of baits, techniques and swims to pick up the odd fish along the way. On todays showing the carp were mainly stockies with only one or two slightly better 3lbers caught all day. Taken with the shallowness of the lake, the popular view was that Islands was probably not one for next years fixture list.

Todays winner was Gino who caught steadily on the tip to the main island for 34-08lb, closely followed by Keith with 33lb and Simon with 28-08lb.
Well done gents.

Result:
1. Gino, peg 2, 34-08lb
2. Keith, peg 8, 33-00lb
3. Simon, peg 5, 28-08lb
4. Mick, peg 9, 20-08lb
5= Clive, peg 10, 14-00lb
5= Tony R, peg 1, 14-00lb
7. Terry, peg 6, 7-00lb
8. Kyle (guest), peg 7, 5-08lb
9. John, peg 3, 5-00lb
10. Jim, peg 11, 2-00lb
11. Rod, peg 4, DNW

Sections 1-4 Gino, 5-8 Keith, 9-11 Mick

And so ends another enjoyable Marsh season. A big thank you to everyone for your support and ever-improving standard of angling; and of course the banter and friendly atmosphere. We may be a bit low on numbers at times, but in my view its a fine little club. Roll on next season - do please make your voice heard on next year's venues.
keith
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Did I say 30lb
Sponsor: GOT Baits

Re: Puddledock Islands Lake, 20th Oct 2018

Unread post by keith »

Well done Gino on your win, an excellent way to end the season.
Golfs a game for people who cannot catch fish
keith
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by keith »

Like most good things, there must be an end and today was the last of the Marsh AC matches for 2018. The club predominantly having club matches from the end of March through to October leaving a few months for recuperation, a spot of predator fishing, winter leagues or a dabble on the rivers.

I had been doing well this year despite not fishing all of the matches,.I was in front by a couple of points from my Nemesis, Mick. Yet still felt that the match was mine to lose rather than win. All I needed was to beat Mick and the overall title was mine.

Seeing as Puddledock Fishery is only 70 miles away we were able to leave Mick's house around 0615 for the relatively short trip along the M1 and M25 motorways. The cafe was just opening on arrival and with a couple of full English Breakfasts ordered we sat down and pondered the day ahead. Some of the lads popped into the tackle shop for advice, whilst I had a plan which consisted of micros, maggot and 4mm expanders. The target fish were small stockies around the 1lb mark. Islands Lake is a water we had never fished before and an ideal way to end a season.
Lots of little islands give the lake it's name.

Strangely enough, things tended to run smoothly for a change, perhaps it was Tony's near perfect delivery of organised chaos, details were taken, monies collected and the rules spoken with such calmness and clarity. Mick had drawn peg 9 and I as always hung back and allowed everyone else to have a go in the bag of dreams before plunging my paw and pulling peg 8. Typical, but not so bad. I could keep an eye on Mick, as he could me, but we were also on different banks. We both had the corner of an island around 25m away which was a comfortable lob, but as i did not bring a rod with me I did not even consider it.

Yours truly

I had my plan and was going to stick at it. Maggots, down the edge in a foot of water, maggot and micros at top 4 in around 2ft of water and expanders or 6mm Hard Pellet at 11m. I did plumb up all the way to 14.5m but found a small dip at 11m where it added another 3 or 4 inches to the depth. Feeding for this line was micros with a couple of 4mm sinkers. All feeding would be via a tosspot and not thrown. Considering the cool nights and slow warmth throughout the day's I wanted to try to concentrate fish tightly, as I was only expecting odd bites throughout.

Tony had drawn Peg 1, a peg which screamed fish, a small island at around 7m and some open water and good looking edges. Gino had a bank of reeds to go at across on the tip and looked lovely in the winter sun.

Tony's flyer or too many options!!!!!!

At the all in I started feeding my lines with a small pot of micros and either maggots or a couple of expanders added to the mix line dependant. It was slow but I started getting a few indications at 11m and after 10 minutes I had a small stocky in the net for around 10 oz. At least I was off and running. Clive on peg 10 had started on the method and went off like a train.with 5 fish in the first hour. I had nicked another couple of small fish with a couple of roach and had around 3lb in the first 60 minutes. The second and third hour saw me switch to the top four line with maggots but just one bite for a 2lb bonus fish. Swapping between expanders and 6mm hard pellets I kept on putting odd fish in the keepnet. Mick had pinched a couple of fish from the corner of the island and was steadily building a weight. Neither of us were setting the world alight but we were catching. I could see Simon catching well on peg 5, Clive had stopped catching on the tip and was now fishing the pole.

Looking forward and happy with his peg, Gino

John struggled throughout but kept smiling

Kyle, feeling unwell decided to go to the cafe and get a sugary drink, next thing we know was he was beinghauled out of the lake after walking into it. Thank you to the staff and owners of the fishery who kindly driedhis gear off and looked after him getting him back on his feet, whilst we knew nothing of his escapades.

I could not see anyone really setting the world alight and I was just ahead of those around me and still catching so kept on plugging away in hour four adding a few better fish to around 3lb. I now estimated I had around 28lb. However the last couple of hours simply dried up, I had two bites and two fish both from the 11m expander line. Mick was now getting a few fish from the end of his keepnets on maggot, but love or try I could not get the fish to come so close throughout the match.

Overall

1st Gino Exell 34.08

2nd Keith Ashby 33.00

3rd Simon Watkins 28.08

4th Mick Wright 20.08

5th Tony Roberts 14.00

5th Clive Pritchard 14.00

Overall the lake, I think fished as expected, I said at the off that 30lb would be a good weight and knew the cool temperatures and colder nights coupled with shallow water would have an effect on the fishing. I was lucky enough to come second by switching lines regularly and working to a plan. Mick ended up giving me another MK Nugget.

I was also successful in the Marsh AC league competition winning both the all matches count league by 4 points from Mick and also the drop 2 matches league by 13 points from Simon.

Well that's it for this year on the Marsh AC front. I will know turn my attention to fishing a few matches at Alders Farm and Oakfield to fix my fishing habit throughout the winter.

Keith 11

Mick 6
naughtycockney
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by naughtycockney »

Fellas
Thx's for another great season and again all the advice given.
Nice to finish with a win , very rare for me.
Good banter throughout the year, as usual.
Mabye some new gear for next year let's wait and see. ;D
Thx's to DAVE and Tony for all the organising and some new lakes to fish.
Keep safe people and see you all next year :tiphat
SiDev
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by SiDev »

Well that was not an easy day but enjoyable all the same, a case of making every bite count and certainly taking my time with foul hooked fish!!...glad to say Kyle seems none the worse for wear after his unexpected swim but he is going to see a doctor as joking aside it could have been very different had he not been seen or was somewhere remote etc....congrats to Gino for the win, left it late this year mate!! I was left once again dumbfounded by the section splits :rofl As for the whole year, many thanks to Dave for all his efforts and Tony for stepping in when required...we all moan at times but the guys do a sterling job!! As for the league, Keith has been different class this year reaping the rewards of PMA, planning and just plain top class angling, he is always the guy you want to beat :thumsup (although his maths is sh!t :rofl ). As usual Mick ran him close and I tried to make a fight of it but class told at the end of the day and both scoring systems saw him a comfortable winner really. As for my season, I actually felt I went forward this year after a couple of years not really progressing in my fishing. A couple of lessons have not re-invented the wheel but given enough pointers and subtle differences to make a difference at times. Can't wait for it all to start again next year, in the meantime I make my usual promises to self to get out and do some piking....hopefully I will this winter :thumsup See you in Spring 2019 guys :cheers
keith
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by keith »

This is a bit like the Oscars.
I would like to add my sincere thanks to both Dave and Tony throughout the year, they have both been extremely professional in their approach to the organisational side of things and made things clear for us all to understand. To be fair it is great just having to turn up and fish.
Thanks for all the mickey taking and personal abuse I have had to endure throughout the last seven months both on Marsh and MD matches. Tony has changed tack this year, from a cursing, blaspheming reverend to a rather jovial and extremely drugs kicking in Mr Burns (Simpsons).
Simon has gone from strength to strength and is seriously a man to look out for. Mick is Mick and do not let his mild mannered attitude fool you. He is ultra competitive and wants to win everything. He is also a great listener and how he puts up with me on our little jaunts surprises me. Surprisingly enough we do not talk too much about the forthcoming matches, but do enjoy the bragging rights for a day or so.
The rest of the lads have been great throughout the year and where there tactics work will always be a force to be reckoned with, John and his floaters, Clive fishing big baits down the edges, Dave and his maggots have all had there day.
As said earlier hope to see you all next year or before,but if not I hope your elastics go a long way and tight lines.