If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Hooklengths for running line

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
Steveswindon

Unread post by Steveswindon »

After a few years with not a lot of fishing, and after dabbling a bit for big carp, I have moved and am fairly close to the Thames, a river I haven't fished that much. A session on the Severn a few weeks ago has rekindled my interest in rivers after commies and canals have been the mainstay for the relatively few matches I have fished over the last 4-5 years.

Anyway, had a quick session on the Thames today with a waggler.....just small fish but enjoyable none the less. Question I have is I am looking for a decent hooklength line.

I like Guru N Gauge for commercials and feeder rigs etc, but it only goes down to 3lb. Used Preston Powerline today in 0.08 but it twisted up first cast with single caster. Was using a micro swivel too.

Any of you river experts able to suggest a decent line for light waggler work that doesn't twist as much?

Thanks in advance.
U538467

Unread post by U538467 »

Drennan supplex line is brilliant for any running waters for hooklenths Steve. Give that a try! :)
Steveswindon

Cheers Sam, funnily enough I have some if that, but didn't have it with me and only had it tied up to short pole hooklengths. Will give it a go, thanks.
wagglerman
Match Team/ Club: ferry bridge
Sponsor: self

Unread post by wagglerman »

You can't beat Silstar match in my opinion Steve . :thumsup
daveyboy

Unread post by daveyboy »

I found some 1.1lb and 1.7 lb bayer on the Internet, so I'm still using that
Steveswindon

Oh bayer perlon......that takes me back. Will also have a look at Silstar....have heard good reports (and as a mainline too) but never tried it.
Cheers guys.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

You can't beat Silstar match in my opinion Steve . :thumsup

Another vote from me - been using it for 20 odd years as both hook and mainline - never experienced any issues  :thumsup

Remember the first time I used in on both stick and wag reels everyone said 'no no' :nono - ;its got no stretch in it' but again no probs - spose you might if you use a poker and strike mad :D
MrV
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Personal Text: Still waiting on an end peg!!
Match Team/ Club: Cashmores MG
Sponsor: NHS

Unread post by MrV »

Always used Force for all my running line fishing,, 1.5lb and 2lb for Stcick, with 2.5lb and 3lb for waggler. Found it floated nicely when needed, but a smear of washing up liquid made it sink like a stone. Recently moved over to Silstar match, as I can't find Force anywhere in the required sizes, and it hasn't caused me any probs over the last few weeks. :thumsup :thumsup
MrV
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Personal Text: Still waiting on an end peg!!
Match Team/ Club: Cashmores MG
Sponsor: NHS

Unread post by MrV »

Sorry, should have added that I used it for main line and hooklengths :thumsup
wagglerman

Always used Force for all my running line fishing,, 1.5lb and 2lb for Stcick, with 2.5lb and 3lb for waggler. Found it floated nicely when needed, but a smear of washing up liquid made it sink like a stone. Recently moved over to Silstar match, as I can't find Force anywhere in the required sizes, and it hasn't caused me any probs over the last few weeks.  :thumsup :thumsup

I also use force 2lb for stick and wag work but I'm running out.
Used to get bulk spools from Bennetts until they stopped trading. Now the only force i've seen available on line ( excuse the pun } is in 3lb and upwards. Will have a look at using Silstar match on the reel Paul i remember Ray Mills using it years ago . :thumsup
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

Drennan supplex line is brilliant for any running waters for hooklenths Steve. Give that a try! :)
I thought matrix did a line Sam i use sensas feeling never had a problem with micro swivel
Retriving your float too quick can course problems as can fish taking it on the drop it you haven't noticed
Paul_T

Unread post by Paul_T »

Hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread Steveswindon.

Out of interest what length hook lengths do you guys use on the running line (wagg & stick)? I used to use aaround 12" but haven't fished the Thames in years. My old mate Dave White (a crack Thames angler in his hey day) used to rip a bit of line off around a metre in length for his hook length and have a number of shot on it, but that seemed a bit excessive to me.

Thanks,

Paul
daveyboy

Unread post by daveyboy »

i make mine 8 inches , but I do not place any shot on the hooklength.
Steveswindon

In the last few years I have been converted to hooklength boxes to make hooklengths all the same length. Now use a Frenzee box which I rate.
As a result my method hooklengths are 4"; pole hooklengths 6" and float hooklengths 12". For the feeder I do sometimes tie longer lengths.
Only put shot on the 12" hooklengths but know that may add to the twist problems.
Likewise would be interested in views, especially for running water....shorter and no shot, or longer (and presumably with shot)?
wagglerman

There is no set length for hook lengths as there are not set floats or leads or shotting patterns . On a clear river I believe in using longer hook lengths when fishing the wag with shot on them . If line twist is a problem a micro swivel above the hooklink will help . On the pole or stick I generaly use a shorter hooklink without a shot on it . :thumsup
Steveswindon

Whilst I too use a micro swivel I am never convinced that it actually rotates as it should in such circumstances.
Accept that a swivel attached to a lead or lure would have enough resistance to impart the rotating motion, but would a short length of line attached to a small baited hook be enough to cause the swivel to spin, when it seems far more likely that the line itself just twists?
Also, longer hooklengths are being advocated....do they help as any twist I suffer from tends to be immediately above the hook so again not sure why a 24" or longer hooklength would necessarily combat this.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

Whilst I too use a micro swivel I am never convinced that it actually rotates as it should in such circumstances.
Accept that a swivel attached to a lead or lure would have enough resistance to impart the rotating motion, but would a short length of line attached to a small baited hook be enough to cause the swivel to spin, when it seems far more likely that the line itself just twists?
Also, longer hooklengths are being advocated....do they help as any twist I suffer from tends to be immediately above the hook so again not sure why a 24" or longer hooklength would necessarily combat this.

Good point Steve also the loop to loop method of attaching the hook length can course twisting if the main line is not balanced with the hook length
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by bill yards »

It is a long time since I fished rivers so I don't know whether this little tit bit will help you superstars of today.
We were always told to get your float and end gear as high up in the water as you could on retrieve, It didn't matter if you used single or double maggot or caster. Looks a bit ungainly but it did work (no spin-ups) unless todays lines are that far removed from what they were. This is easier to do with a stick float. :-X :-X :-X
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

i make mine 8 inches , but I do not place any shot on the hooklength.

I wished I had 8 inches :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

I found some 1.1lb and 1.7 lb bayer on the Internet, so I'm still using that

That is what I used to use on the Trent. Used to respool every trip, there were so many impurites in the river your line appeared to be two or three times as thick as when you started. Mainly 1.7/1.1 (until they bought out a Bayer 2.1) with the stick and 2.6/1.7 with the wibby wobbler. It was cheap enough to respool every trip :thumsup :thumsup