If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Is Match Fishing At An All Time Low ?

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
lloydy
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: Maver Midlands

Unread post by lloydy »

Never stocked canals heavily with carp cus it wouldn't be as profitable as harder to bailiff and unless stocked in a short pound fish could swim for miles. Unfortunately like everything else in life profit is king
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by Dodge »

One other thing, why has the BWB never heavily stocked the canals with Carp ?? That might get people fishing them more often.

They would all get nicked !
kev p
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: maver midlands
Sponsor: maver

Unread post by kev p »

loads ov fish in the canals we fish an we dont need them stocking with PETS just learn how to catch em.
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by bill yards »

Spot on Kev. I've been to lots of BW meetings and more than once the point was muted about stocking certain lengths of cut with carp only and basically 'fencing the off'.

Now for the interesting conclusion, - what is the point when we have so many commercials stuffed silly with the crappity smack things, cost maybe? Image Image
Arch
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by Arch »

The bit about Carp in the Canals was tongue firmly in the cheek boys.

bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Guessed that Arch but it has been seriously thought about by BW.

Still a big nononono Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

just another little side with natural venues ,i walk the dogs across the brinks section of the river soar either once or twice a week at cossington and along rothley brook what has amazed me is the amount of tree's and bushes that have fallen in or growing over the river .the river soar at the moment is half the width it was 10 years ago and perhaps a shadow of the depth ,i noticed in the angling times a picture of the ouse a picture a few years ago to the present it's almost turned into a brook in parts Image Imagenow surely when we do have some rain the brooks and the rivers will flood and could quite easily bust the banks as we have seen flash flooding happening all over the country, in parts that have never seen floods .i just wonder where you stand if your house is flood now ,because the EA and water board are doing nothing to prevent this .i'm sure it won't belong before someone claims or sues against the authorities,i remember dyke's brooks and rivers being cleared of overhanging tree's and bushes even dredged in some parts willow tree's always cut back before splitting and falling into the river. lots of the pegs are a long way off the water now and most hiden behind tall reeds :-/ :-/
this is another reason why rivers matches are failing
years back you'd run to a fallen tree,now more than often it will have mink or otters living in them :-/ :-/they are now a common site as i walk the dogs
Bonanza216
Cornerstone
Cornerstone
Personal Text: Joan Is Fit
Match Team/ Club: N/A
Sponsor: E.F.C

Unread post by Bonanza216 »

I walked down the bridgewater canal one wednesday night in the summer, when flagger was running a summer night match, it must of been 2005,london bridge, stockton heath, warrington, the canal was at least 2/3 foot down, the lock had burst up at manchester, and remember the carp flu, it had pasted from the river weaver,to the T/M canal, at anderton boat lift, then into the bridgewater canal up at preston brook where the T/M and the bridgewater canal meet, i have never in all my life seen as many dead carp, 10 pound plus down to 2-3 pound ones, hundreds off them!!!! Was a shame to loose old wild carp in a canal, people may have different views,i never knew the canal had so many carp in the place!!!! Image
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

just another little side with natural venues ,i walk the dogs across the brinks section of the river soar either once or twice a week at cossington and along rothley brook what has amazed me is the amount of tree's and bushes that have fallen in or growing over the river .the river soar at the moment is half the width it was 10 years ago and perhaps a shadow of the depth ,i noticed in the angling times a picture of the ouse a picture a few years ago to the present it's almost turned into a brook in parts now surely when we do have some rain the brooks and the rivers will flood and could quite easily bust the banks as we have seen flash flooding happening all over the country, in parts that have never seen floods .i just wonder where you stand if your house is flood now ,because the EA and water board are doing nothing to prevent this .i'm sure it won't belong before someone claims or sues against the authorities,i remember dyke's brooks and rivers being cleared of overhanging tree's and bushes even dredged in some parts willow tree's always cut back before splitting and falling into the river. lots of the pegs are a long way off the water now and most hiden behind tall reeds
this is another reason why rivers matches are failing
years back you'd run to a fallen tree,now more than often it will have mink or otters living in them they are now a common site as i walk the dogs

Quite a lot of Stafford is built on adjacent to flood plains. In their wisdom the authorities straightened out our river and over the years given some areas concrete banks.
Has this stopped the flooding of the houses?; has it crappity smack.
True it moves the water through the river quicker but nowadays, it hardly ever used to, there is vast flooding south of the town, thus moving the problem to someone else Image

As a once wonderful fishery where anglers travelled from miles to fish the river it is nothing but a complete ditch now. Most stretches are completely unfishable and if you could fish them you would catch nowt or next to nothing.

I did approach someone well in the know about this problem and if it could be cured as it has happened on many rivers in the UK. I was quite suprised at the answer, I was expecting a firm 'no' - no rain and all that but apparently there is an answer and that lies with the bore holes at the extreme upstream end of these rivers.
It must be cost but surely in the case of the River Sow at Stafford and others it would have been cheaper than spending millions and millions on so called 'defence schemes' that haven't a cat in hells chance of beating Mother Nature.

After all water has to end up somewhere, you can't wave a magic wand and it just disappears.[left][/left]
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

the environment agency is based in rothley for this area they have souped up jeeps now brand new called quick response vehicles with go fast stripes down the sides
where they go all day nobody knows its certainly not the river soar or the wreake which is another river that is more like a brook in fact behind frisby pits you wouldn't think there was a river there anymore :-/
mother nature is a funny thing but i'm sure she won't beable to clear this mess on her own
craftytafty
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by craftytafty »

Tell you what if fishing was like what I went to yesterday ( and I should have known better ) I'd pack in.
went to Hemmington and fished the carp match, total lottery 4 caught, the rest didn't. I could catch a roach a bung but no point as carp were always going to win.
sad thing is if it had been a silvers match, everyone would have caught, felt they had a chance all the way through and it would have been a good fair match, not a lottery.

Be a long time before I fish like that in the winter again.

I think it's what people want though, a lottery cos on fairer matches the good anglers will always win.
grover
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by grover »

give me a good canal or river anyday, far more skillfull imo
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Be a long time before I fish like that in the winter again

I feel like that in summer on em Crafty - aok its only the club scene - but a couple have whats termed 'a good day' (aok I'm onto a hiding from the off as it aint my cup of tea) - whilst 80% struggle to never 'catch up'............

So nowadays I just do my own thing.........
craftytafty
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by craftytafty »

that's a really good point TK. so many matches even if you are getting a few, you can still have no chance of catching up and u can just end up watching a couple of anglers sacking all day.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

Tell you what if fishing was like what I went to yesterday ( and I should have known better ) I'd pack in.
went to Hemmington and fished the carp match, total lottery 4 caught, the rest didn't. I could catch a roach a bung but no point as carp were always going to win.
sad thing is if it had been a silvers match, everyone would have caught, felt they had a chance all the way through and it would have been a good fair match, not a lottery.

Be a long time before I fish like that in the winter again.

I think it's what people want though, a lottery cos on fairer matches the good anglers will always win.

i know where you are coming from when i fished the Christmas match at barston quite a few DNW only because they fished for carp instead of scaling down to small hooks and lines for skimmers and roach .all scared of loosing fish they are not going to hook or they have forgotten how to play fish properly .when i weighed in everyone around me wished they had fished for silvers, it was the ideal match to do so as prizes were the only thing you win a part from a £3 pool a great match if only anglers realise carp are not the bee all and end all
its different if you are fishing a fish-a-mania qualifly its a win at all cost
look at the white acreas silver fish reports everyone caught loads of fish ,if that had been a carp festival a lot would DNW Image
darkhorse

Unread post by darkhorse »

carp in a match arnt that easy to catch :P, if you want to catch a couple yes, but if you want to put a net together you have to work at it and like roach/gudgeon/perch/skimmers/chub develope an understanding of their feeding habits and best presentation Image. I will admit i dont enjoy PLEASURE SESSIONS on commies for a good reason, the fishing is too easy and don't even practice on them unless i have plenty of mates practising in a line, the matches however are more difficult and i match fish a venue i've not fished before to understand whats going on and try some different things, i've started off slow many a time and turned my match around to get a section. of course a bit of advice before helps but not always as i've found on several occasions.

years ago many anglers made a name for themselves travelling around fishing brand new commies catching suicidal pasties, these fish are now older and wiser and these glory anglers dont feature anymore cos they can't catch as easy. most of these anglers couldn't even catch on the cut had no idea how to present a squatt Image oh i'm waffling again Image
darkhorse

Unread post by darkhorse »

you dont fish barston just for carp :o, not when theres a large head of skimmer/roach/f1's and large bream.

some commie anglers dont now how to fish a commie, the same ones who couldn't fish a squatt Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

another place that i can see doing well with silver fish would be packington on molands a great venue Image
lloydy
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: Maver Midlands

Unread post by lloydy »

another place that i can see doing well with silver fish would be packington on molands a great venue Image

Think molands went downhill when he put f1's in
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

you still can't catch them and what about the 25,000 in barston you don't seam to catch many there either :D :D
packington you would need B/J to kick start it Image