If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

How did you get where you are.

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by Dodge »

Okay just let me think on it. Its a very very long story.

Look forward to it Chris ;) 8-)

Unread post by Guest »

His friend was kim milsom, holy cr*p the captain of essex county and england international was going to be my new travelling partner. :o :o
Well after 2years of travelling with the legend and now very good friend, we were practising slider on the glos canal and kim told me he had put me forward to join essex....holy sh!t!!!!! AND I'D BEEN ACCEPTED. :D :D :D  i was shocked, surely i was'nt good enough to fish with such superstars? kim told me i would be more than good enuff. Imagetold u it was long. Image Image Image

Are you sayin Diddy that Essex was your first team ? and the ONLY two teams you've fished for are Essex and Dorking ? Image

Thats like an achievement in itself :o
cheslynboy
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker
Personal Text: Fishing is relaxing except when on matches
Match Team/ Club: Rough Hay A C

Unread post by cheslynboy »

Well now to bring it down to reality I'm just a humble club angler i fish for a club thats been going over 30 yrs Rough Hay Angling Club.

I still enjoy getting up on a wet and windy morning to go see the lads who are as mad as me.

We are a bunch of lads who try on that day to out do the next guy to you the payouts aren't brill but the banter is ace.

I also fished in the past with Tk under the MESC banner ok it was a closed sort of list of clubs ( if you where in the electricity field you qualified ) but i learnt a lot from that.

Even now 20 yrs plus down the line i still get the buzz when i fish a match and win on the day not for the money but knowing you beat your mates on that stretch of canal or pool.

Now i'm sorting of spreading my wings ( awkward at my age i think they are seized up ) i'm now match sec of WAA as well as next year helping running Div1 national if only in a small part by marshalling.

Suppose one claim to fame is that i beat Peter Plant when he was a member of our club ( only once )

But i don't regret the path i took as it would have been awkward to go down the team match way due to commitments

So as always i'll look forward to THE CLUB MATCH where many a good angler has come from and hopefully many more will.

Sorry to have bored you with my memories of How did i get there,

But who knows i might get a ticket to Fishamania draw the top peg and retire in glory with £25 grand

Thankyou if you read this :)
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by bill yards »

I remember failing to get a ticket for a Shrewsbury match some 40 years ago but still went. I sat and watched a certain Mr Ashurst (Kevin) throughout the 5 hours; it was the best 5 hours teaching I have ever had.
The river was up, he had drew by the car park and his peg was quite a mass of boils and really heavy water. He had a few bites and maybe a couple of roach on the straight leger eartly on (he missed a fair few bites). He was talking to me all the way through and said that he had a fair few roach in his swim but had to sort out how to get them. He also thought the float would be best as he had tried every combination of straight leger known to man. The next two hours he spent running every type of float through he had, he was fishing past the middle and kept saying they were not reet and spent more time changing floats than actually fishing.
With an hour to go he said 'gorrit' and out came a short but slightly stubby piece of goose quill, unpainted! He put quite a bit of shot on and chucked in. It went through his peg a dream, if anything the river was worse by now as well.
He had 9 lb of roach in the last hour and finished fourth; he was really yellow stream off that he hadn't sorted it out earlier and cleared off quick without picking up his money; to this day I don't think he ever picked it up.
When anglers say 'they tried everything; I often think of this.
I could tell you countless stories about Kevin; Terry Blyde and myself spend night after night at the bar with him in Ireland in May and sometimes September. Brilliant company, believe it or not a little on the shy side but the best angler that ever has been seen, he is to me anyway and to many others. I have loads of new photos of him here.
About 20 years ago an Italian (I am sure it was Trabucco) asked Kevin who was the best angler he had ever seem. Without hesitation Kevin said Alan Marsden. When most said who the crappity smack is Alan Marsden Kevin replied that it is the one arm man that fishes lots of matches, - he then said you try fishing with one arm.
Brilliant.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

am in bits Image Imagelovely storys good memories for everyone good times had by all good subject simple Image Image

right lets start on chris Vs Image Image

at the tender age of 3 chris used to be picked up out of the bath by his john thomas :o :oby the age 6 he was getting a little larger Imagehence the big ears Image Image
his parents new he was going to be special so by the age of 10 chris had the surprise of his life :o :o a new pole :o :o boy chris loved his pole and would take it to his bedroom and dance around it for hours Image Imagethe girl next door could see right into chrisis bedroom Image Imageand on the way to school said "you love your pole and i quiet like your extension that sticks out :o :o". on the way home chris started to think ::) ::)and that night while he danced around his pole he started taking his clothes off :o :o but what he didn't realize the girl next door was selling tickets and had a full bedroom of on lookers :o :o :o :o :o
and this is how chris got started

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Since the very first open match i ever fished one thing i have noticed is that i have NEVER asked a good angler for advice and been turned away.

Very true Chockie Munster - and often so different to be found in other 'environments'

The respected 'masters' Image are very approachable, well the few that I've ever had dialogue with have been, and can reveal all, the whys and wherefores with absolutely little fear from 'novices' like myself - over the years they have practiced, fine tuned and honed their skills to such a degree of perfection and have such an understanding of 'what is happening', why its 'happening' and how to react to it, that even with 100% information a recipient like myself to their guidance and advise would still be no match for their skills.

Interesting reads....... Image

Please keep 'em coming Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

am in bits  Image Imagelovely storys good memories for everyone good times had by all good subject simple  Image Image

right lets start on chris Vs  Image Image

at the tender age of 3 chris used to be picked up out of the bath by his john thomas :o :oby the age 6 he was getting a little larger  Imagehence the big ears Image Image
his parents new he was going to be special so by the age of 10 chris had the surprise of his life  :o :o a new pole  :o :o boy chris loved his pole and would take it to his bedroom and dance around it for hours Image Imagethe girl next door could see right into chrisis bedroom Image Imageand on the way to school said "you love your pole and i quiet like your extension that sticks out :o :o". on the way home chris started to think ::) ::)and that night while he danced around his pole he started taking his clothes off :o :o but what he didn't realize the girl next door was selling tickets and had a full bedroom of on lookers :o :o :o :o :o

Imageand then he took up fishing
Woodhouse
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: Maver Tipton VDE

Unread post by Woodhouse »

That pretty good for you Joff!
diddy
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by diddy »

His friend was kim milsom, holy cr*p the captain of essex county and england international was going to be my new travelling partner. :o :o
Well after 2years of travelling with the legend and now very good friend, we were practising slider on the glos canal and kim told me he had put me forward to join essex....holy sh!t!!!!! AND I'D BEEN ACCEPTED. :D :D :D  i was shocked, surely i was'nt good enough to fish with such superstars? kim told me i would be more than good enuff. Imagetold u it was long. Image Image Image

Are you sayin Diddy that Essex was your first team ? and the ONLY two teams you've fished for are Essex and Dorking ?  Image

Thats like an achievement in itself  :o
apart from the junior team i mentioned and a odd club(low key) the onlyother team i fished for was BOSS PHEONIX when travelling with phil stone(legend) Image Image Image Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

am in bits  Image Imagelovely storys good memories for everyone good times had by all good subject simple  Image Image

right lets start on chris Vs  Image Image

at the tender age of 3 chris used to be picked up out of the bath by his john thomas :o :oby the age 6 he was getting a little larger  Imagehence the big ears Image Image
his parents new he was going to be special so by the age of 10 chris had the surprise of his life  :o :o a new pole  :o :o boy chris loved his pole and would take it to his bedroom and dance around it for hours Image Imagethe girl next door could see right into chrisis bedroom Image Imageand on the way to school said "you love your pole and i quiet like your extension that sticks out :o :o". on the way home chris started to think ::) ::)and that night while he danced around his pole he started taking his clothes off :o :o but what he didn't realize the girl next door was selling tickets and had a full bedroom of on lookers :o :o :o :o :o

its a good job chris can't log on at work anymore Image

Unread post by Guest »

Are you sayin Diddy that Essex was your first team ? and the ONLY two teams you've fished for are Essex and Dorking ?  Image

Thats like an achievement in itself  :o
apart from the junior team i mentioned and a odd club(low key) the onlyother team i fished for was BOSS PHEONIX when travelling with phil stone(legend) Image Image Image Image

I knew u were good and all, but i didn't realise you'd done it all so quickly ..... fair play Image
diddy
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by diddy »

i try Image Image Image Image

Unread post by Guest »

I like to think i try Image

Thats my excuse to my captain more often then i like :'(

"I tryed my best i couldn't of done any more ..... yes i was last in the section and been battered both sides ....." Image
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Ropa,
I know all about that book of Kevins that was never printed. There was a headline in one of the weeklies, something like MY DRUGS HELL

That put the stops on it.
ropa
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by ropa »

Well if i remember correctly it was A/T that were distributing the book as I had sent my cheque off for the book, only for it to be returned a few weeks later, telling me the book was no longer to be released >:( So it seems they shot themselves in the foot Image
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Didn't like to say it but it was their headline.

Kevin wasn't having any of it.
ropa
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by ropa »

Would have been an excellent book ImageLike I say not enough of them out there :( :( Maybe`s taypot could start a series in Matchfishing about match anglers rise to the top. Image ::)
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

I don't think Kevin will ever get involved doing another book.

I might be wrong but it is doubtful. :-[ :-[
chavey
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by chavey »

"Since the very first open match i ever fished one thing i have noticed is that i have NEVER asked a good angler for advice and been turned away"

Lee have you never asked Mark Downs anything whilst he's fishing then?
:D
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by Dodge »

My dad was a keen angler and took me and my brother whenever he could, we used to fish loads of different "pits" in farmers fields in rural cheshire as it was nice to get away from industrial Manchester for some fresh air and i actually learnt loads from just being in the countryside. I also used to nip down to the bridgy on my bike after school for a couple of hours with some gear a few nights a week, it was amazing what you could catch just a rod length out. I joined Lymm angling club and my dad used to take me to Lymm damm to fish the junior evening matches there, i won a couple and i was asked to fish for Lymm juniors in the junior national on the river trent. That turned out to be a great experience for me as i again caught a few and the team did quite well. When i started working during the winter months me and a mate (stuart hayes) used to book on club coach trips via the Manchester evening news (the pink sports edition) to the river severn and river trent, we both did quite well on these trips, again my dad used to drop us both off at 5am in the morning in some of the darkest parts of Manchester at the pick up points and then pick us up when we got back sometimes 10 at night and we would be bladdered  Image  Image  GREAT DAYS  Image . I remember winning on a trip to the trent with 15 lb of roach and chub at fiskerton on the stick and the result was printed in the Manchester evening news, i was well chuffed. I saved up enough money to buy a carbon bruce & walker spliced tip 13ft stick float rod on mial order from a shop in london it cost £130 back then probably 25 years ago, i also bought a shakespeare (cant remember the model) closed face reel, the combination was unreal. I bought a car and fished the river dane and river ribble before cormorrants wiped it out. I also played a lot of cricket and played at semi pro level for 12 years, including 8 fantastic seasons with Urmston CC who were and still are at the top of the cricketing pyramid playing in the Cheshire County League. My lad Adam plays for them at under 13`s and also represents Trafford under 13`s and has been around (coached) but not played for Lancashire under 13`s.
Back to the fishing lol ...... commercials werent around then so i used to fish the Warrington AA opens on the bridgy during autunm and winter, i also became a member of Urmston AA and fished regular matches with them and a couple of nationals. Harry Billing and Albert Malcomson were a big part of that club and i fished with and against them many times, also a real true gentleman and fantastic angler Jimmy Pargeter. Jimmy was almost unbeatable on the Weaver, we had many more trips to the trent and jimmy used to fish the center pin, fantastic angler and person.
Everthing was going great for me and i had been married a couple of years and BANG .......... my wife was diagnosed with cancer.
Two and a half years long long years later Angela was given the all clear ............. Then the kids turned up  Image Image .

Weyhey 2 years later a few commercials were springing up with small easy to catch carp in them. I worked out a way to fish for these carp and found fishing and feeding a certain way you could "pinch" lots of fish from the very close pegging around you. Brookside, Meadow View and Border fisheries i found all responded to the same appproach, Caster Shallow   Image  Image Image

I won loads of money and a couple of golden pegs fishing against Neil Machin, Andy May and a young Andy Moores thems days, i got a lot of publicity in the angling weeklys, even an 8 point Kamasan weekend  ::). For the first time after a couple seasons of doing really well getting properly establshed as an open angler i found myself being sponsored with tackle and bait which helped loads, but sadly i found a very small number of anglers showing some resentment towards me, i know some very high profile anglers still get this today and it yellow stream me off loads but such is life so Crappity Smack em  ;)
Team wise i fished with Team Trafford for many years, the team which produced Harry Billing and Albert Malcomson, i very nearly joined Vinny Smiths Tri Cast Highfield but joined BAS 2000 who were the Lancashire W/L champions and had just become Northern AT Semi final winners on the Stainy and did ok in the final on the nene i think  Image
BAS 2000 are now my current team Sensas NW, i had two and half brilliant years travelling with Lewis breeze, i saw lewis develop into the angler he is now, he can go right to THE very top no problem,naturaly talented and cool mindset  ;)  

Thats me   ;)   Think i have said whey tooo much  Image Image    Image  

Edited ......... 27 spelling mistakes :-[