If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

over the moon !!!!!!!

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
daskin

over the moon !!!!!!!

Unread post by daskin »

if it any use to you sharki lad thee uses 0.10 hook link to 0.12 main for me whip rigs  Image

Spot on. thats what I use --Im still using Bayer perlon by the way, 1.7 main and 1.1 hook length.
The piano wire is 1mm thick and on the roll i have is a label with 18MW written on it--dont mean owt to me --but maybe will to a piano tuner.
As for feeding put a drop of water in a baitbox and add your feed till so it just holds together.and its stiff enough to throw. a gentle underarm lob should do the trick.
It will come with practice.
I can cast and sink the line with my right arm and feed with the left at the same time.
PS: I need some practice myself, not been fishing since August and not used a whip since last March and got my first winter match on Sunday.
sharki

over the moon !!!!!!!

Unread post by sharki »

it will be like riding a bike to an old pro like yourself with a list of wins like you ve had maybe you should change ur name to ringer !!! lol
and cheers for your help regards piano wire do you think i could use normal pole float wire but in 1mm of course just thinking it will be dead straight instead of a roll only asking of course Image
daskin

over the moon !!!!!!!

Unread post by daskin »

it will be like riding a bike to an old pro like yourself with a list of wins like you ve had maybe you should change ur name to ringer !!! lol
and cheers for your help regards piano wire do you think i could use normal pole float wire but in 1mm of course just thinking it will be dead straight instead of a roll only asking of course  Image

I dont know what normal pole float wire is made from, but I suspect it is not as strong as piano wire. but you could give it a try, if you can get any heavy enough.
PS: most of my success came quite a few years ago--when I was younger and much faster, I can still catch but not at the rate I used to be able to.
Pedro
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

over the moon !!!!!!!

Unread post by Pedro »

Aye up Sharks where u  thinkin of whip fishin like?
Donnys only a gnatts  from Wakie..... loads to go at ova here
;)
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

over the moon !!!!!!!

Unread post by Dave C »

To help feed you might want to consider trying to find one of these - compacts the lickie into a pellet

(wonder if Dave C will clock this picture)  Image

Clocked it TK. Was that one of my pics from an old post?

Brings back memories, must have bought mine in the early seventies. Last time I used them must have been 6 years ago when I had a bit of success catching some canny carp.
My bread punch is 1/2 across and takes  double slices of thick sliced bread. Two of those on a size 12 and feeding liccy bread, using the large groundbait punch worked, wonders next to the rushes , especially when coupled with a strong rod and an Allcocks Match Ariel centrepin.
Shows that punch and liccy isnt just for the blade roach. Image

( Special tip just for you TK. Spread Marmite between the slices of bread. Image Image caught me lots of fish while others struggled. Image )
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

over the moon !!!!!!!

Unread post by TK »

Clocked it TK. Was that one of my pics from an old post?

Aye DaveC - googled groundbait punch and that popped up in images - went to 'snatch it' and it was your post in 2005 on MD trying to source another for a mate ;)
sharki

over the moon !!!!!!!

Unread post by sharki »

believe it or not tk ive just called at tackle shop n bought a preston one n then called to see a mate that is layed up after a hernia op n he said what you bought n o showed him then he says duss that want a brew n he dissapeared then he comes back with one same as in the photo n says here take that i never used it so now have one of each Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

over the moon !!!!!!!

Unread post by TK »

Sharki - I shall expect a critical appraisal in approximately 4000 words detailing the pros and cons of each and which one you'd recommend to anyone in the market for a G B punch ;)
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

over the moon !!!!!!!

Unread post by TK »

ps - good on ya old mate Image - hope his hernia op soon heals Image
sharki

over the moon !!!!!!!

Unread post by sharki »

cheers tk al pass on your good wishes
he told me after that it originally came from a good friend of us both who no longer is with us :'( ........... bless ya john.
every time i use it al think of him now .so we both agreed he will be happy its getting used now Image
Pedro
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

over the moon !!!!!!!

Unread post by Pedro »

Being a tight yorkshire gitt ....years ago i knocked one up utilisin a 50ml srynge  Image

Smaller syringes would make gud meat punchers  ;)
daskin

over the moon !!!!!!!

Unread post by daskin »

To be honest I cant see the point of using one of these groundbait punch devices with liquidised bread feed, it must slow the job up quite a bit.
sharki

over the moon !!!!!!!

Unread post by sharki »

yeah pedro i thought about that when i first saw photo i think i read about it some where before maybe on maggotdrowners i think at a guess
TRICAST62
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG

over the moon !!!!!!!

Unread post by TRICAST62 »

scoop bit o punch on thumb nail and flick it out jobs a good one Image
Pedro
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

over the moon !!!!!!!

Unread post by Pedro »

To be honest I cant see the point of using one of these groundbait punch devices with liquidised bread feed, it must slow the job up quite a bit.

They're spot on for when loose feeding by hand plus you can control the amount of feed .
bit like using various sized toss pots
sharki

over the moon !!!!!!!

Unread post by sharki »

i think if anything is going to help me am all ears but i think i need to just give it a go n see what suits me best ive just ordered some 1mm wire so all i need is peacock quill and al give it a bash making some of daskin s waggs up Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

over the moon !!!!!!!

Unread post by TK »

Spose its the same as several other routines in angling daskin, it becomes 'second nature' and you can knock out a pellet ready for feeding without taking your eye off your float. Viz drop press in tub/bowl of lickie (or g/b) , compress lickie and plunge out.....

Hadnt really thought about it slowing me down, till your post which set me thinking.

Spose its also a 'confidence' thing - perhaps it also enables feeding to be 'more regulated', by that I mean consistent vols of feed (dependent on degree of compression) as opposed to (slightly) differing size nuggets............????? And with those consistent sizes does it lead to overall greater accuracy???

TBH its only every now and then that I use it with lickie on our canal - reason being that often you cant catch short enough on punch. However when I'm on a different cut - say the Shroppie or Staffs Worcs - it'll get more of an outing (with gb rather than lickie) as I'll expect to catch gonks etc on the short whip
Pedro
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

over the moon !!!!!!!

Unread post by Pedro »

Sharki  pm me you're address n I'll send you some.

got some knocking about garage somewhere.
it must be over ten years old  Image

just checked...n it appears to looks fine .

well thats unless inner has a sell by date.... n likely to be crappity smacked

wot you reckon Daskin ?
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

over the moon !!!!!!!

Unread post by TK »

They're spot on for when loose feeding by hand plus you can control the amount of feed .
bit like using various sized toss pots

If I'd have just read that post Pedro I needn't have typed all that waffle :D
Pedro
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

over the moon !!!!!!!

Unread post by Pedro »

haha..TK

im a bit like that...if someone asks me fo time..i tend to end up tellin em how a sun dial works
Image :-[ Image