If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

All our yesterdays................netting a gud un

For TK's trip down Memory Lane.

Moderator: TK

TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

NoCarpPlease
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by NoCarpPlease »

Swinno in shaky days?
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

it's on the box Image Image Image Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Never spotted that Image
NoCarpPlease
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

neither did I!!! Image
fin
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: hull

Unread post by fin »

Looks like a shakey boron there but i'm sure they had a few inches of black foam at end of butt, well mine did till I cut it down
Arch
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by Arch »

Is it a New Year match ?? Must be judging by the jumper........
NoCarpPlease
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

proper shaky fibreglass box too ... before the plastic ones
Arch
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by Arch »

Looks like a shakey boron there but i'm sure they had a few inches of black foam at end of butt, well mine did till I cut it down

Didn't everyone ?? IMO all Shaky rod handles were too long. I cut my Presidents down to, and took most of the cork off aswell. Look a lot better.
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by bill yards »

He was sponsored by the Edinburgh Wool Company in those days Image
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: MaverBaitech
Sponsor: Maver / Baitech

Unread post by CHOPWORM HERO »

I will phone him tomorrow and ask Him about those dodgy jumpers !!!!!!! That's two photo's of swinno wearing knitwear !!!!!!!!!!!!!
(or was it the same one !)
trypewriter
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by trypewriter »

The first borons had all cork handles, later ones had the black bit. I've still got a couple. Like a lot of anglers I used to cut several inches off the bottom of the handle. The Trentmen guys were smarter - they used to cut the corks off at the top of the handle, giving them a longer rod. Unfortunately this didn't work very well with the borons - underneath the cork was plastic, not carbon/boron.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

tryewriter i fell for that one as i used to cut the handles back for stick float fishing so the handle ended at my elbow .I'd cut it before realising that fact Image Image Image Image
trypewriter
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

You were in good company Joffe - John Dean did the same thing and was not best pleased. The other thing of note was that 'boron green' was just the varnish colour - they were normal carbon grey underneath. I was given one of the full cork handle prototype rods to review, and first time out in a Burton Joyce Open had about 9 lb. Unusually, on the daft tiny hooks we were all using at the time, I didn't lose a single chub. Most of the fish came in the last half hour after the guy below had packed up and gone and I'd got a decent length peg to go at. My word I drew some dross in those matches - I could have competed with FB for 'cess pits'! - Especially when Gunthorpe was in. I drew next to John Dean there once on an area that looked vile. I asked him if it had any form. He said: ' you know when I was winning all those matches?' - I said: 'Yes.' He said: 'Well, I wasn't drawing here!' Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

You were in good company Joffe - John Dean did the same thing and was not best pleased. The other thing of note was that 'boron green' was just the varnish colour - they were normal carbon grey underneath. I was given one of the full cork handle prototype rods to review, and first time out in a Burton Joyce Open had about 9 lb. Unusually, on the daft tiny hooks we were all using at the time, I didn't lose a single chub. Most of the fish came in the last half hour after the guy below had packed up and gone and I'd got a decent length peg to go at. My word I drew some dross in those matches - I could have competed with FB for 'cess pits'! - Especially when Gunthorpe was in. I drew next to John Dean there once on an area that looked vile. I asked him if it had any form. He said: ' you know when I was winning all those matches?' - I said: 'Yes.' He said: 'Well, I wasn't drawing here!'  Image

it was proper back then i passed my driving test and before i'd told my mum i'd passed i was on the way to the trent fishing couldn't wait
i used to driver up just to watch the likes of ted stoke don swino robin grouse steve canty Roy henson john dean George bott just to name a few Monday was Holmes pierrepont for Steve toones rip-offs Burton joyce Clifton long higgin shelford shallows caythorpe matches of 80 to 200 every week you'd win a tenner in a 20 peg section and that was never easy
the tackle and bait that changed hands what good old days were like
i still remember that famous day when Trentmen won the Div 1 national off the next peg to us i banked walked that day and remembered sitting behind Stan piecha Stan was struggling to keep fish coming but couldn't see his trentmen above him because of a great tree hanging in the water,i'm pretty sure it was George bott .Stan asked me to go and see if he was catching  :o :o :o :o boy was he catching roach after roach and he was feeding the kitchen sink caster maggots tares sweetcorn the lot was going in  :D :D :Dwhen i got back to Stan it was if i'd seen a ghost  Image Image Imagehow could i tell Stan piecha that the bloke above was emptying it and your not feeding enough  Image Image Image Image
great great times
i find nothing better than catching up with these lads over a pint once in a while the stories Graham Barry has told me i still see dave Downs
i look at the results now 20 peggers another commercial wizard is born because he's won a few of these matches .if only they knew what we had learnt over the years and years of fishing amongst these real true hero's of the sport
trypewriter
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

It wasn't george bott it was the inimitable Johnny Moult - what a legend he was! To be fair to Stan the pegs were chalk and cheese, Moulty was definitely in 'the pound seats' on that one.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

It wasn't george bott it was the inimitable Johnny Moult - what a legend he was! To be fair to Stan the pegs were chalk and cheese, Moulty was definitely in 'the pound seats' on that one.

your right kiddo it was Image i always get the two mixed up Image
trypewriter
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

The feeding style gave it away too mate! Total one off and a lovely bloke. Drew next to him a few times. His square bodied wagglers were a thing of wonder. He fed loads of different things and used them all on the hook. His view was that in a restaurant everyone orders something different! My favourite story was of him turning up to the Staffs Canal Champs expecting it to be on the River Trent. He won it with a big weight of roach on the caster!