If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Colemans Cottage 15th September 2012.

Marsh Results and Reports.

Moderator: Spamwham

Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

Unread post by Dave C »

Well Mugger must be feeling very lucky after narrowly avoiding being "Mugged" by two 4 year olds who only turned up with an hour and a half to go. Image Image

Happy Birthday Kev. Many thanks for the refreshments after the match they made a nice end to the day.  Image

keith
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Did I say 30lb
Sponsor: GOT Baits

Unread post by keith »

Excuse me Mr Chairman and Grandad to two talented children.

How come your total weight includes that of Lily and Alfie. Yet they get a weight for themselves????????????? :o :o :o

If your weight was 67lb then you would have ended up 7th overall. :D :D :D

Many thanks to Jean for laying on the spread for Kevin's Birthday. Did not see many candles but don't suppose there was enough room.
Golfs a game for people who cannot catch fish
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

Unread post by Dave C »

Its so they get to see their names in print seperately.
keith
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Did I say 30lb
Sponsor: GOT Baits

Unread post by keith »

So you are claiming your weight and theirs!!!!!!!!!!
Golfs a game for people who cannot catch fish
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Happily retired.
Match Team/ Club: Maggotdrowning.com
Sponsor: Taxpayers.

Re: Colemans Cottage 15th September 2012.

Unread post by Mugger »

Essex is the destination for me today with another Marsh AC club match at Colemans Cottage on Wood Lake. It's a venue that's always popular with the club members and today is our second visit this year so hopefully it will provide a good days fishing for the lads. I was awake before the alarm went off and soon had the cats fed and a couple of cups of coffee drunk before loading up the car before sunrise. I couldn't help noticing how cold it felt though Image, the car themometer registering just 11°C and for the first time in a while I put the car heater on as I set off. It's a great time to be travelling though with little traffic on the roads and as I cleared the Dartford Tunnel the sun was just rising, promising a lovely day ahead weather wise Image.

I pulled into the fishery car park at just past 7am and indeed it appeared that I was the first one to arrive. A quick look at the lake revealed that the level was down from our previous visit with the platforms a good 2 feet clear of the water.
Gerry and Jayne has opened the lodge so the first order of the day was one of Jayne's large breakfasts Image to set me up for the day ahead. Lee was next to arrive, he was guesting today and is always good company so we were soon catching up as breakfast was consumed and the others arrived. I then got a phonecall from Terry, his car wouldn't start so he wouldn't be joining us today Image.

With breakfast out of the way Dave soon had the money collected and got the draw out of the way. Peg 27 was to be mine for the match, not one I was familiar with , so gathering up my kit I set off to get aquainted with it Image.

Arriving at the peg it turned out that I had Dave on peg 25 for company on my right and young Zack to my left on peg 29, with Lee and Chris opposite on pegs 13 and 15.

The carp run to a decent size in Wood Lake and the Barbel  are getting bigger all the time so I made up 3 rigs, the first for straight out in front at 5mtrs where I had around 3½ft of water was a 0·4g NG XT Mugger HD on 0·18 Ultima power match straight through to size 16 Kamasan B911Xs while the other 2 were for the margin while the other 2 were  0·2g NG Springer Sampson Margin's on on 0·18 Ultima power match with size 14 Kamasan B911X's. Feed would be a mix of corn and damp 4mm pellet while hookbaits would be a mix of pellet, corn and some paste.

10am and Dave called the All-In and I fed both margin lines then dropped a banded 6mm over a few loose pellets on the 5mtr line. A few of the lads were into quick fish but I wasn't one of those and 30 minutes in I still hadn't had as much as a bite so I fed a full pot of pellet and corn to see if it would tempt anything in. Well after about 5 minutes the swim started fizzing like a jacuzzi but the bites still refused to come Image. However Tony over on peg 11 had started to put one or two fish together ......

Finally after around 45 minutes the float slowly slid away and a gentle lift saw a pleasing amount of elastic stretching from the top kit, The fish was quickly subdued and slid over the landing net, a common of around 3½lbs to finally get me off the mark Image. Back out but it appeared that it had been a solitary fish as no more bites were forthcoming, a bit more feed and a few more bubbles but no bites despite varying the depth and the baits I just couldn't buy another bite.

Chris was opposite on peg 15 and I've often taken the micky out of him telling him that his kit looks like a throw back to the 70's but he was definately having the last laugh on me today as he started to take fish from his peg while I could only look on enviously Image .......

After 90 minutes I noticed a couple of carp moving in the left hand margin, normally I would have left it longer but I was already getting deperate so dropped a banded 8mm in there. The float buried almost straight away and I connected with a big fish that powered off towards Zack, but almost straight away the rig came pinging back with a large scale on the hook Image.

A look down the other margin with corn looked like being no more productive until the float vanished from sight, yeilding a common around the 5lb mark to add to my meagre total. Lee was having no such problems over on peg 13 however though he  was surprised at just how hard the fish fought, giving his hydro a good work out ......

Another try on the 5mtr line finally produced a couple of F1's after around half an hour but again nothing followed them.
I could see odd fish constantly moving through the swim in front of me but nothing appeared to want to settle. Was it because the water was down and I was sitting so high up above the water? had the cold nights upset things? I couldn't work it out today whatever it was Image.

Chris's guest Gary Luck was over on peg 13 and it looked as if he was pretty much in the same boat as me, as I could see his swim fizzing but only producing the odd fish for him ......

Back to the margins for me and I finally managed to tempt another couple of carp from the left hand side, but in all honesty I was going nowhere fast. Around 2pm Chrissy arrived with Dave's two grandchildren Lily and Alfie who both wanted to catch a fish with Grandad. It's a good job they hadn't arrived earlier or they would have undoubtedly battered me today Image.

More in desperation than anything else I took my feeder rod out and decided to give that a go, but after 3 casts that tangled and snapped off, pretty much summing up the match for me in a nutshell Image. Meanwhile young Alfie was getting well into helping Grandad catch and land his fish Image ......

John (tutu) was suffering a similar match to mine over on peg 21 but as the match drew to a close started to find one or two fish from his margin Image ......

I battled on with the margins and actually managed to get another couple of carp before Dave called the All-Out at 4pm.
I have to say that I was glad to hear the whistle today, 6 hours for just 8 fish for around 30lbs wasn't the outcome I'd expected and with hindsight I got it horribly wrong, getting sidetracked by fish I could see in the margins despite them not wanting to co-operate today.

It took me a while to get the kit packed away meaning that I didn't follow the Weigh-In round as usual and when it got round to me Keith was leading with 118lbs from peg 3 from Tony with 88lbs. Dave with Lily and Alfie's help had 85½lbs. My fish weighed a level 30 lbs and Zack had 54½lbs leaving me like a bit of cod "battered both sides" Image. The Weigh-In moved on at pace as it does at Colemans and I made my way back to the car park with my kit and loaded it away.

Back at the lodge for the results and Jean had asked Jayne to lay on a buffet complete with Birthday Cake Image ......

........ for Kevin's Birthday (which was on Sunday) and I have to say it offered the best bites of the day as far as I was concerned.

Dave announced the results after everyone had tucked in and the winner today was Al with a fine 139lbs from peg 35 Image Keith was second with 118lbs and regained the MK Nugget from Mick Image and Tony was 3rd on the day Image.

The next club match is at The Private Lake in East Sussex in a couple of weeks time, but before that next Saturday is the penultimate round of The Jinx Series at Rolf's Lake which will hopefully give me the chance to get this match out of my system Image.
:cheerleader :cheerleader Watch out, watch out, there's a Mugger about :cheerleader :cheerleader
john_holdsworth
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by john_holdsworth »

Great report peter Imageand thanks for the rare action photo of me on the day Image, my peg was just a bad as yours i sat watching Dave catch all day. :'(
SiDev
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by SiDev »

Good read Pete........take revenge on the fishery on the 13th!! Image