If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

is it me!!

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
sharki

is it me!!

Unread post by sharki »

or is warburtons medium sliced just pants :'( for the hook.
it just disintigrates when it hits the water
so any idea whats better because today ive probably add double figures weight wise but i was forever in and out because of my hook bait so over to the pros for any help cheers Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

is it me!!

Unread post by TK »

I use Roberts - quite a very fresh & stodgy loaf round here.

Did you keep your slice well covered though today?

ps - whereabouts did you do that double figures from? On the cut?
sharki

is it me!!

Unread post by sharki »

yes tk. ive a replica of the image style box for my slice only used a quarter at a time but the bread i used was the small warbys in the blue bag.dunno if its any different in the bigger size loaf .and it was on the cut matey its a short stretch that connects between the two weirs near the hepworth galley in wakefield i ended up on my ground bait line down middle ended up with a bloody eel so decided to call it a day then.not seen the roberts bread you talk about up here mate so its back to the drawing board i think Image Image
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

is it me!!

Unread post by Dodge »

Ive used Warburtons medium sliced bread for the hook for years Image

As TK has hinted always keep it fresh for best results Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

is it me!!

Unread post by TK »

Looking at the Roberts website, looks like it's only available in Cheshire, Staffordshire, North Wales and the Midlands

Presume you used a medium 400g - http://www.warburtons.co.uk/products - rather than the Danish?

Bill Yards is our resident site punch man - perhaps he'll confide in what he uses if he clocks this topic ;)
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

is it me!!

Unread post by TK »

Another thought Sharki since Dodge's post - are you buying the 'freshest' that is available.

A couple of our local superstores stock Roberts, but my missus deliberately gets ours from a NISA store just down the road - and yep, theirs is deffo 'springier' when you give it a squeeze in the packet - perhaps theirs hits the shelves straight away, rather than sitting in stores like it might do in the superstores????
sharki

is it me!!

Unread post by sharki »

i keep it in my cool bag n only take a slice at a time n yeah tk its the 400 grm one i used think i need to try toastie one next time am quite fortunate as i have a couple of mates that work for warbys so i get it for nowt just get em a pint when i see em out for a beer. its quite deep this stretch ive fished today maybe 5ft at 4mtrs then probably 7ft down the track its at the back of a local timber merchants then goes under two main roads then connect back to the river
above the hepworth gallery in wakefield
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

is it me!!

Unread post by Dodge »

Fresh as you can get it then cut the crusts off then cut the slice in half or quarters then pop the slices into a clear sandwich bag , seal and put in the fridge overnight. Keep the slices sealed and fresh whilst fishing so they dont dry out Image
TRICAST62
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG

is it me!!

Unread post by TRICAST62 »

were you fishing with punch rolled or not, thee find,s bread dry,s out quicker if not rolled. what i tend to do is press bread with me thumb then punch it out find it stays on hook longer but like TK has said bills the man Image
sharki

is it me!!

Unread post by sharki »

no mat it was not rollled just straight from the bag into my box then the loaf put back in my cool bag ive alot to learn by the look of things Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

is it me!!

Unread post by TK »

I alternate between both Tricast62 - pressed deffo stops on for shipping & fishing longer and when waiting for bites, but sometimes find more bites on non pressed that expands greater

Type of punch can make a diffo too.......deep/shallow etc

Here's a little 'punch' read

http://www.matchangler.com/component/co ... ?task=view
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

is it me!!

Unread post by TK »

There again, one venue can differ from another............ what works well on our cut - feeding etc - aint necc the right way on another venue and of course it all changes as you go through the year.......
chavey
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

is it me!!

Unread post by chavey »

The 400grm warburton in the plastic bags is not the same texture as the 800grm stuff in the waxy paper bags. It is more open a texture, get on the stuff in the waxy paper bags, you wont have any problems with that, as it is denser and hangs on the hook better
sharki

is it me!!

Unread post by sharki »

The 400grm warburton in the plastic bags is not the same texture as the 800grm stuff in the waxy paper bags. It is more open a texture, get on the stuff in the waxy paper bags, you wont have any problems with that, as it is denser and hangs on the hook better

yeah mate thats my next idea ive only just started on the canals but i intend having a propper go this winter nothing better than a net of roach bugger the commies this winter Image
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

is it me!!

Unread post by bill yards »

I don't know whether it is a trait of Warburton's or what but our guys have certainly found it is not the same as it was. This may only apply to batches we are getting in the Midlands but we have all noticed it just doesn't stop on the the hook as long as as it used to (not that you want it to stay on the hook for too long anyway).

I tried a cheap Aldi own make and that was good and really cheap, - a word of warning though, I wouldn't eat it, - it is a bit on the heavy side, - it would cost a fortune in Andrex! Image

Another one we have no problem with is Hovis White and that is a bit cheaper than Warburtons. Roberts is no problem either.
Kingsmills used to be really good but is total crap now.

Maybe Warburtons (it is made in Bolton) keep the best up there Image, - it is still better than most though.

As TK says Roberts is popular around here (I think it is made at Northwich). I always have a job getting thick sliced though but a doubled up medium works just as good.

In Chavey's and Dodge's area they are probably still getting the original Warburtons, we certainly aint. :-? :-?
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

is it me!!

Unread post by bill yards »

A good and free little tip at this time of the year to keep your bait cool and your bread from going hard.

Drop a towel into the cut and wring it out but keep it still wet; put it flat on your bait tray, put boxes of squatts, pinkies whatever on top of it, - it is the mostly the plastic that gets hot and it turn heats the maggots up. This keeps the boxes and bait cool. Use your bread on the edge of the tray and just cover it with the edge of the same towel, it keeps the bread cool and it don't dry up.

It might not look posh or 'owt like that but it crappity smack well works Image Image Image Image
sharki

is it me!!

Unread post by sharki »

A good and free little tip at this time of the year to keep your bait cool and your bread from going hard.

Drop a towel into the cut and wring it out but keep it still wet; put it flat on your bait tray, put boxes of squatts, pinkies whatever on top of it, - it is the mostly the plastic that gets hot and it turn heats the maggots up. This keeps the boxes and bait cool. Use your bread on the edge of the tray and just cover it with the edge of the same towel, it keeps the bread cool and it don't dry up.

It might not look posh or 'owt like that but it crappity smack well works Image Image Image Image

cheers bill
i will give hovis a go today and the towel job the thing is yesterday i was in the shade of the building as it was casting a big shadow on the water but as it git darker in the day the bloody perch moved in on my groundbait line then i had the big eel that wwas fun trying to get it in my little landing net as its really tiny dunno if its still legal as its years old picked it up on a car booty for 50p

bang on size n weight wise.as for warburtons where its made i have three mates that are delivery drivers and am sure its the biggest bread plant in europe have heard em say in the past. Image
trouble is when i ask em to get me some bread i :(ts usually
half a dozen loafs at a time so its a freezer job.
is that a no no for hook bait or not as i say i want to crack this method as really love fishing it carnt wait til the temps take a dip n the colour falls out so i can have a real crack at em so any more tips wil be appreciated Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

is it me!!

Unread post by joffmiester »

cracking method love it Image
great tips as well Image
i take a few medium slices and a few thick slices and alternate but the damp cloth is key Image
macca
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Personal Text: TRUE BLUE
Match Team/ Club: shakespeare superteam
Sponsor: four ashes

is it me!!

Unread post by macca »

There is a difrence in thickness between the small medium and large medium,I allways use the small toastie thick in the plastic bag this seems to be just abit thicker than the large blue medium, plus it keeps moist for longer.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

is it me!!

Unread post by TK »

so its a freezer job.

Never ever used it after its been froze Sharki, would suspect that removes some moisture from its original consistancy ????

use them loaves for your crumb - for the cost of a quid, get the best freshest loaf you can for the hook Image