If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Commercial Elastics

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
Josh1337
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Commercial Elastics

Unread post by Josh1337 »

Fished an open wednesday, and everyone but me has Hydro/Vespi Hollows in, pinks/reds/yellows everything...

WHy this insted of solids?

Opinions? Image
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Commercial Elastics

Unread post by Simple »

I use pink and orange vespe and tried a solid elastic. I started bumping a lot of fish. I tried slackening the elastic off but found I was still doing the same. I do not have this problem with hollows.

Elastic is very much a very personal thing with different anglers.
For me on commercials its hollow as its soft enough to stop the fish bumping off but has the backbone to stop a running fish.

I also broke a topkit on solid, it pulled the bung up the topkits and it exploded when the elastic bottomed out. I know the line should have broke before the elastic but I was fishing next to a snaggy bush and could not give them an inch :D :D

Commercials = Hollow elastics for me. Image
Josh1337
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Commercial Elastics

Thanks si,

Pink Vespi to what dia line?

And do you fit it to a pulla?
Josh1337
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Commercial Elastics

What hollow would you use to a pullabung for carp up to 5lb so your npt bumping?
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Commercial Elastics

Unread post by Simple »

White hydro or black set soft. The preston hollows are good too Image
I dont use a pulla with pink vespe, that would be plain silly Image
Josh1337
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Commercial Elastics

Si have you used the green vespe?
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Commercial Elastics

Unread post by Simple »

No matey. I used to use black and white all the time. I still have the original black and white in my topkits from my maver Messiah which I had years a go and still use today. Used the white on Sunday down the cut for the bream Image
MarkV
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Commercial Elastics

Unread post by MarkV »

I'm old fashioned, or maybe not, as solid elastics seem to be used by others as well now.

I've never tried anything else. Fishing has always seemed to have too many variables to sort out without checking out all the elastic types on the market as well ! Just dont have the time.

I find that it's about getting the tension set right. Took me a bit of fiddling but seem to have it sorted now. It's surprising what you can catch without bumping off, besides carp, when they come along, on a loosely set 14 solid. Don't 'strike' like you've got a ravin twitch thats all. That is key.

As long as it's pre-stretched correctly, it'll still creep back in the pole without hanging out.

The other way over the past few years seems to be to use lower strengths doubled up. eg double 4, 6, 8. Don't bump 'em and the power kicks in as the elastic is stretched. Done, a bit, of this and it seems fine.

Also found pulla bungs to be good. I use the old preston style ones with solid 8,10,12 elastics. I'm a big fan of the slip original. That said, not sure exactly if it's in my head, a confidence thing.

Not making a case for solids, this is just my personal experience.

I might/probably should try other elastics but I think as long as it works. leave it.

All those top kits to re-do, and then strip it all out when another whim comes along  Image

Think i'll stick with what i'm using  :D
Golden_balls

Commercial Elastics

Unread post by Golden_balls »

Hi Josh you want to base your elastics around your average fish and not the largest.
For fish around 1lb to 3lb I use yellow reflex. (8 to 10)
3lb to 6lb blue reflex (10 to 12) and 6lb to 15lb Green reflex (14 to 16).
With hollow elastics they will stretch far more than solid elastics which makes them far better for open water situations, whereas solid elastic are better for snaggy areas where you need to hit and hold or drag them out.

Hope this helps
Josh1337
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Commercial Elastics

thanks for responses,

Reason why I am asking is because I fished cob house the other week, and fishing a 16 solid I bumped off to many fish for my liking..

So I am thinking of going over to something like Green Vespe Hollow for my carp bashing
MarkV
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Commercial Elastics

Unread post by MarkV »

fishing a 16 solid I bumped off to many fish for my liking..

Doesn't surprise me Josh, that's heavy gear to me.

Unless you're by snags, not usually a need to go that heavy, I wouldn't have thought.
Jona_Lockley

Commercial Elastics

Unread post by Jona_Lockley »

my mate uses vespe and swears by it iv got preston in my top kits but id go for vespe.
Josh1337
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Commercial Elastics

What color tho jona?:P
mburgess
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker
Personal Text: Budgie

Commercial Elastics

Unread post by mburgess »

I use Green /Red /Orange Vespe miles better than the other hollows on the market. Image Image