If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

bit of advice needed

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
fluke

bit of advice needed

Unread post by fluke »

thinking of getting the grandeslam 8m pole

http://www.grandeslam.co.uk/acatalog/Poles.html

its the "grandeslam strike" (the second one down), as i am just starting out i dont want to spend out on a more expensive pole in case i dont get on with it and end up stuck with a pole that wont get used, so keeping that in mind, does this pole seem ok to use on the canal?

the other issue is i have never elasticated a pole before and wouldnt have a clue what number elastic is best for the canal.  :-/

have watched a few vids on elasticating and doesnt seem like rocket science but wouldnt be sure what section to elasticate although for storage and transporting i would like to elasticate only the top section.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Image
Drynet
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

bit of advice needed

Unread post by Drynet »

2, 4 and 6 middy elastic nice and cheap mate Image
fluke

bit of advice needed

Unread post by fluke »

great, thnx for the info dave Image
Josh1337
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

bit of advice needed

Unread post by Josh1337 »

I see it as 'What you pay for is what you get'

I like to know im buying something half decent thats going to last me, than not last 5 minutes and me having to buy the same old over and over again..

It's up to you what you want but keep that in mind.. Elasticating is easy.. Just dont get carried away when cutting back. Id use like dave said above. 2 4 and 6s..

If i was you Id go with a 6 as if your going to be fishing the Tipton/Coseley cut alot you could be landing your self some bigger fish eventually.

About the pole.. I have no idea.

Hope this helps.
fluke

bit of advice needed

Unread post by fluke »

The reason i am going for this pole to start is if i get on ok with 8m then i will give this to my son as he is only 7 and anything bigger than 8m would be too much for him and then get something a lot better for myself, i just dont want to toss money down the toilet if i dont get on with a pole, i have lived on the coast my whole life (9 years of it in spain on the costa blanca until november last year) so never used a pole before, only on some lakes have i used a waggler rod and that was a while ago.

i will go with the 6 elastic, thanks again for the tips, has helped a lot and as i will mainly be down the tipton canal pleasure fishing then this pole IMO would be a good place to start and get some practice in before i invest in a better setup.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

bit of advice needed

Unread post by TK »

To be honest Fluke, whilst I'm not au fait with that particular model, I'd suspect that it still may be too unwieldy and heavy for your son at 8 mtrs - at that age,  5mtrs can still be a handful..........I know from past experience.

Rather than just 'jumping in' and getting it, you'd be best at least having a feel of it - have you tried it out locally? I've just clocked that they sell that pole at West Midland Angling in Bills Lane Darlo  - I'd have a feel first - and make sure you take the nipper too  ;)  Image

http://www.wmac.co.uk/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=3223
fluke

bit of advice needed

Unread post by fluke »

I have been pondering over getting one for a few weeks now , thats why i thought it best to ask the pro's here before i commit  Image

I dont have any transport right now so getting anywhere to check it out and get a feel might be difficult especially as im new to the area.

I suppose its not like 30 quid for a pole is going to break the bank and do plan on venturing out when i get transport and my son can stick with the whip until he can handle something larger, thanks for pointing that out, i never gave that a thought as he handles the whip and 12ft waggler rod very well, could always sell off the 8m pole when or if i upgrade.

Thankyou for the replies fella's, greatly appreciated you helping out a newbie. Image
Geoff_E
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

bit of advice needed

Unread post by Geoff_E »

Fluke I'd give the West Midland Angling Centre a miss, I was in there a few days ago and there wasn't much on the shelves ;)
Drynet
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

bit of advice needed

Unread post by Drynet »

Geoff i was going to say that Image
fluke

bit of advice needed

Unread post by fluke »

as i have to do most of my tackle hunting online, any ideas where i can get the elastic kits/items from online?

im checking out ebay but wondered if there are any better places you guys may know?

even giving me an example of what to hunt for would be great.

size 6 middy elastic is all i have so far

still need bung, threader, ptfe bush and connectors... :-/
Drynet
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

bit of advice needed

Unread post by Drynet »

Hooties willinhall sells middy elastic
paul_brown
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

bit of advice needed

Unread post by paul_brown »

fluke

bit of advice needed

Unread post by fluke »

thanks gudgeon but the postage is horrendous for what i need to get, thanks anyway  Image

i have ordered

Middy hi viz 4-8 5m elastic
winder bung and extractor
pack of 4 elastic connectors up to size 8
2.6mm external bush takes up to size 8 elastic

hope thats everything? :-/

i know this is a very amateur setup, buts thats where i am right now, we all gotta start somewhere Image

not bad to get everything ready to fish for 36 quid Image

you guys have been stars, without your help i would probably be staring at the screen not knowing what the hell to get, thanks a lot guys. Image