If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

How long?

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

How long?

Unread post by TK »

How long does it take fry to grow on to about an inch long?

Had a wander down our cut - The Wyrley & Essington - yesterday, and I noticed a small shoal of this size of fish hovering above the cabbages that are just starting to come through.

Havent a clue what species they were, couldnt make them out although the odd one was 'flashing', but they certainly didn't look like 'backs'. (Would also add I've never know anyone to catch a 'back' out of the cut in the few years we've controlled it)

Anybody any ideas what species may have already spawned and whenabout given the size of these?
Josh1337
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

How long?

Unread post by Josh1337 »

TK, Sorry to go off-topic, but whats the condition of the cut?

Plenty of color?
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

How long?

Unread post by TK »

Looked 'nice' - a fair bit of colour still in it Josh - well a 'fair bit' given how gin our canal can go :D

The colour dropped slightly half along to the left of Wood Lane, but then coloured up more again as you approached the wides. The common looked aok Image
MGB
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG

How long?

Unread post by MGB »

Almost certainly roach fry I would guess TK. I remember a few years ago walking the Extension and noticed a shoal of tiddlers about an inch long. As I carried on walking there was stretch where no fish could be seen then another shoal appeared, all about 2 inches long. I was amazed to discover other "blank" spots followed by other shoals, all getting bigger as each shoal appeared. The last lot of fish were about 6-7 inches long and were definately recognizable as roach. Having said that, quality rudd have been putting in an appearance last couple of years in the Grove.
TRICAST62
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG

How long?

Unread post by TRICAST62 »

could be bitterling Image
Woodhouse
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: Maver Tipton VDE

How long?

Unread post by Woodhouse »

My guess would be pike or perch, much too early for roach.
grover
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

How long?

Unread post by grover »

pike/perch go early..
cjsid
Match Team/ Club: doultons

How long?

Unread post by cjsid »

I would think they are last years TK as imho they seem to take 12mths to appear then disapear again for a while.
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

How long?

Unread post by bill yards »

Probably perch: tiny pike are a weird green colour and they have a pointed snout before they develop. Image