If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

All our yesterdays............. C 11

For TK's trip down Memory Lane.

Moderator: TK

TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

dave roper Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

looks like Robin grouse but the C11 i can't think its a international Image Image Image
manny
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by manny »

db Image
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by bill yards »

By the looks of those shadows it looks like the Damme Canal in Belgium.
I was there that day in the World Champs but I'm crappity smack if I know who it is Image Image Image Image Image Image
Arch
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by Arch »

Dennis White ??

I know what box he's sitting on, if thats worth owt. Image
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

I know the England team that fished was Kevin, Steve Gardner, Vinnie Smith and I think Dave Roper.

Long shot, -- somewhere in the memory bank is telling me it might be Milo Columbo crappity smack around in England gear. He definitely had a bit of weight on him in those days Image Image Image Image Image Image
chavey
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by chavey »

I reckon its Dave Roper, the rod looks like a bruce and walker by the shape of the cork and the badge just above it. Which I'm sure Dave used back then?
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Nice observation Chavey  Image  Which B&W - my eyes aint that good these days  :D

And well done Joffie - first out of the blocks today - you win a selection of floats I've recently been given by a sponsor :D
andyb1

Unread post by andyb1 »

Bob Nudd and Big Alan McAtee were there as well! Alan had to have a quiet word with a thick pi**ed up England supporter on the far bank watching Vinnie who was getting a bit of hassle for not striking at what looked bites,but the team knew different! And yes defo Dave Roper who also won the first days match.
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

re world Chapionships 1988

I was 'covering' that particular match at the time and all spectators and the like were on the far bank of the canal.
I well remember the 'incident' re Vinnie Smith reported in one of the mags but I must admit I was a bit mystified by it. My recollection was that with all the people and trees on the far bank it was very difficult for all the anglers to see their waggler tips; in fact it was nigh on impossible.
I can well remember members of the England shouting over when their floats had 'gone'. The early parts of the match saw virtually all fish short whip and bloodworm for mininscule ruffe followed by a waggler approach for a species I think were called vinder.

I still have the programme or proramma as the Belgians called it. Obviously it was printed before the event and there are no teams in it. However I still have the original draw sheet for day one on Saturday September 11 and it went like this: all peg 11 A Vinnie Smith; B Bob Nudd C Dave Roper D Kevin Ashurst and E Steve Gardner. Wales were on 14, Cook, Roberts, Branson, Bainton and Davies.

Jeanne-Pierre Fougeat (not sure of the spelling) won the event (not for the first time). He was a class act obviously and really a law until himself as he stood up most of the time and made full use of his 10 metres that CIPS rules allowed. Steve Gardner was second and England won Gold after tying with (maybe Italy).

I know Bob Nudd's England career was not quite continuous; I though he may have missed that one but he did fish. Image Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

there must be a site with all theses records and photos on i'd love to go back down memory lane  Imagewhat you have put bill above does ring some bells didn't ian heaps go that year :-/
bye the way i'm on a roll Image Image Imageits great when TK puts them on during the day Image Image Image
chavey
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by chavey »

I think the rod was a MM13. A friend had one a the time as well
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

I then Heapsy was a tad before that Joff.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

I then Heapsy was a tad before that Joff.
was it the same venue when he won Image Imageit was all waggler fishing then
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

1975 Heapsy won, on an unpronouncable venue in Poland. Image Image
Arch
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by Arch »

BYDGOSCZ
andyb1

Unread post by andyb1 »

Bill, Dave Roper told me himself that the bites were virtualy unhitable so they delayed the strike by a second or two,to try and connect,but to a spectator the anglers looked like they had fallen asleep! Dave had problems the second day with his groundbait floating and didnt have the best of matches if i remember. Joff,Ian Heaps did go but as a spectator cos i remember him on the ferry playing on the roulette table
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Those 'bites' were caused by this species called vinder or something like that. I may not have the name quite right but even the Belgians never bothered with them, as you say the bites were unhittable. They are a little similar to our chub only slimmer and longer. They tend to feed on flies and insects more so than any anglers bait.
You could see them as plain as anything, about two feet under the surface yet rarely topping. They were in small shoals of a dozen or so and every time were were very agitated by any loose feed going in. This was a bit 'new' at the time but from actually seeing this I'm fairly certain these fish were constantly hitting the line, some were bires but I think many of them weren't.

I might get odd bits crossed over at times because I have been on lots of these 'hops' and one can blend in with another, - it's an age thing Image
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

If I recall on Heaps' National he hooked and played a carp by dipping his rod under the water so the stewards couldn't see it had crossed over the tapes into neighbouring swims. Putting your rod underwater was unheard of in those days Image Image Image

just a thought for Joff, - As it was in Po-land didn't La la fish that one?