If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Wassell Grove

Share your Match Results or Fishing Stories Here.

Moderator: bill yards

paul_brown
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Wassell Grove

Unread post by paul_brown »

Had our first contest today at Wassell Grove on pegs 1-24 on the match pool.

Having never fished the place it meant nothing when I pulled out peg 18, despite all the differing info gleaned from the boys from the Shrub.

So on arriving at my chosen spot I set up 3 rigs to cover lines at 8m, 14.5m and down the edge.

The 8m swim would recieve a pot of choppie and caster to start and the 14.5m pellets, with the edge swim primed with corn for the last hour of the match.

This was somewhat changed when I had a surprise visitor...........a certain Mr Hemming from the Shrub gang.

After chatting with Mick for a few minutes I decided to give up the 14.5m line and concentrate on the shorter 8m line and down the edge.

Starting off on caster I have a run of small roach which all produce tiny bites that barely register. A small piece of worm produces more of the same so its back to the caster.

Looking round occassionally not much is being caught although peg 21 (the flyer) has had a few aswell.

With this in mind, and last weeks battering by TK, I persevere with the small stuff thinking that at least I'm building up a weight of small and stamp 3-4ozers with the odd better 6ozer and a roach nudging 1 1/2lb

As the sun gets higher in the sky 6-7 battle cruisers drift around the swim at 14.5m.

Hmmmmmmm............I wonder as I put the extra sections on and drop a single caster in front of 2 of them...............and then hold on as it dawns on me that I only have 6-8 hi-viz laccie and a size 18 hook

10 mins later and after having it come in and out and through my 8m swim umpteen times its finally in the net Image Image Image......................but then disaster as the spreader block on the landing net decides to snap.......... Image Image Image Image Image............but luckily the fish doesn't realise and stays in the net where I can grab it and a 6lb lump is in the sack Image Image Image Image

After sorting out a spare landing net its a refeed on the 8m swim with yet more worm and caster its back to the stampers and small roach with the odd skimmer although its apparent that not many carp are showing even though the pleasure anglers seem to be doing ok.

Going in to the last hour its decission time.....do I stick it out or spend the time looking for scarce bonus fish??????

Sod it I think and I keep plodding on with the stampers and odd better fish.

The scales go past to start at peg 24 and I wonder up to see what's going on to the scales......a level 10lb, peg 22 weighs in a big 9lb before peg 21 weighs 19lb 4oz Image Image and then peg 20 puts 6lb on which surprprises me as I've seen several netters Image Image

The scales come to me and I reckon on 15lb :-/ :-/ so I'm pleasantly surprised when 20lb 8oz is called. Image Image Image Image Image

After following the scales down the next few pegs the best weight is another 9lb and then its down to pegs 1-6 where only a 5lb weight is recorded and its a win for yours truely Image Image Image

So thanks to Mick Hemming and Dave Wall for the info and Mck thanks for taking the time to come down and speak to me in person........ top bloke Image Image Image
Drynet
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

Wassell Grove

Unread post by Drynet »

Nice one mate well done ImageMick top bloke Image Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wassell Grove

Unread post by TK »

Gud un Gudgeon Basher Image and ta for the report Image
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Wassell Grove

Unread post by Simple »

Well done mate Image Image
Great write up too cheers :)
paul_brown
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Wassell Grove

Unread post by paul_brown »

Cheers all will have to get some photos from the next one at Lavender Hall and try and post em aswell.

Dave, you obviously know Mick fairly well but for someone who dont know me from Adam to come looking for me to give me advice I think is up there. Image Image

Mind you when he walks round the pool askin for gudgeon basher and people look at him like hes bonkers I had a few giggles go my way Image Image

Come to think of it you daint turn up to offer any advice Image Image Image
Drynet
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust

Wassell Grove

Unread post by Drynet »

He's a star mate one in a million Imagealas i am not thats why i was in bed Image :D :D