If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

All our yesterdays..............another venue

For TK's trip down Memory Lane.

Moderator: TK

grover
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by grover »

hold on ive just remembered,is it by the pub the old english gentlemen? looking north
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

thats just down the road from me!! but i dont know whereabouts this bit is? bit b4 my time,as i was just starting on the new river then catching minnows! was'nt allowed on the lea till l8r,by the way anyone here know rye house? on the lea as thats where i'm from,if so i dunno when you last saw it,as its all concrete banked now
it would be good to see a photo of how it looks now Image
TerryC

Unread post by TerryC »

Is this the section that runs alongside Cheshunt Reservoir?
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Hope you are asking Grover that TerryC, cuss I aint got a clue :D
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

Unread post by Dave C »

In my younger years when I was around 14 or so I would fish the Lea Navigation  at Cheshunt nearly every week. A 3/4 mile walk to Rotherhithe Underground station and the a train to Whitechapel then change trains and 2 stops to Liverpool street. Platform 5 I think to meet my school mate and catch the 6.12 train to Cheshunt.

Then another 3/4 walk from the station to the canal and up to what we thought were the best swims backing onto the Northmet gravel pit. Occasionally when we felt brave we would sneak across the bridge to the River Lea and have a dabble on the club stretch.  Image Image

My Dad and I later on took out season tickets for the Carthagena strech of the navigation 3 miles upstream at Broxbourne and later fished the river Lea at Wormley on the LAA stretch.

I have fished in that area hundreds of times but have never fished nor considered fishing the Relief Channel. perhaps Grover could tell me if I have missed anything by not fishing it.  :-/ :-/
TerryC

Unread post by TerryC »

Yes that was to Grover TK, I seem to remember someone telling me they had concrete banked miles of that section. :-/
grover
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by grover »

ive got sum old fotos of rye house shortly after they concreted it sumwhere, the relief channel at waltham abbey had its days for me, i can recall one day just upstream from the pub i mentioned when i was getting smashed on the pole all the time!! it wasnt pike? every now n then i would get slime up the line,you'd think bream,but these buggers were so hard fighting? anyways i kept stepping up the gear, eventually it turned out to be big roach! cant recall how many i had,but when i was packing up and pulled the net out,a local said that he had'nt seen a bag with so many big roach like i had for years? i also had bream and a tench i think..most of the roach were around 1lbs with the odd one approaching 2lbs!! im guessing it was between 10-15 of em,god knows how many i lost though? this was in the mid 80s,another memory was just downstream of the pub, it was the very first time i'd used bloodworm n joker! 80s again in the winter, i was getting small roach etc and doing quite well, then the bites stopped comming? within 5mins i hit into summink bigger? big perch around the 1lbs + in the next half hour- hour, i landed about 4-5 of em!! then the small stuff came back!!
grover
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by grover »

looking at the foto i think i know where it is,but when i fished there the towpath was high banked,and had a few trees,so i cant be exact but it does look upstream of the pub? i will try and find sum fotos..
Mullarkey
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by Mullarkey »

would never have guessed lea relief channel in a million years from that photo. Me mum lives about a mile from there and I used to fish it quite regularly as a kid, probably drive past it a least once a week. No matches there now, used to hold some big uns, I think the silstar pole champs was held on there in the 80`s, vinnis smith won it with two tench. Now it`s a syndicate water, think they catch big chub from it up near fishers green. Dickie Carr used to be the daddy on the relief channel. Though in those days he was the king of all the lea.

Ask him about his favorite canal venue at Yiddley Gidley on the guc.
chavey
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by chavey »

Mullarkey, I fished the silstar pole qualifier semi on the Lee, the one I'm thinking about was 86, or maybe 87? The final was at compstall? reservoir the year I fished as I managed to get through on the Lee and ventured up north for the final.
chavey
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by chavey »

But I'm not in the picture before anyone asks!