If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

the average age of anglers

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

do you think the average age of anglers is now starting to effect the competition scene.i feel that when i talk to anglers most are now not really bothered whether they fish every week or not .i don't really want to say back in the old days  ::)as they have gone for good ,but we used to fish 3 days a week and if you didn't you wouldn't get picked simple as .i did drop out when i started the business and that has to come first now and  that's the reason  i found myself  trying to get my angling back and run matches that i thought they wanted .but now i too have become very disillusioned with traveling to matches and even getting up early in the mornings Image Imageis this the slippery slope at the  moment i can't seam it get out of it and after yesterday only 16 anglers for a B/J match at barston I'd of rather took the kids out deep down plus not doing very well  :-/ :-/ :-/ didn't help Image i really wonder if its worth fishing these competitions when i can only fish one day a week and the odd half day 
it's a long drive back when your mind is working overtime  ;) ;) 
or is it just me :-/
diddy
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by diddy »

difficult on a sunday joff as theres always lots on winter league duty etc.
dnt read to far into it.
plus there was a fair few in devon too.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

it just shows you that there isn't that many anglers out there ,this year a lot of winter leagues are only five teams so where do the rest of the anglers go,i'm beginning to think they are not going out and are picking and choosing there matches
next weekend 60 anglers will travel to barston to fish the sensas league to cips rules from up and down the country so that tells me that theses are the only anglers interested in these matches and im boll#cks now as i'm not paying someone to watch the shop so i can have a saturday off to go fishing
lloydy
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: Maver Midlands

Unread post by lloydy »

All the youngsters are commercial fishing joffie
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by bill yards »

I know where you are coming from Joff but I don't honestly think age has crappity smack all to do with it.

I think it is more about being keen and having the inclination to go.

For me it has always been about enjoyment and the banter.

To be honest I have'nt enjoyed it at all this season and can't ever remember feeling like I do. I have never missed as many weekends as I have this time.

On second thoughts it could be age; I am fishing this Saturday but sorting out something else for this Sunday and it don't involve fishing in any shape or form yet there is a big match within walking distance of my house Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

i might be wrong but i suspect it could have something to do with whats going on in the country people haven't got the money for fishing and the rest of us are being cautious at the minute as i spoke to the lads who run rothley golf course they have never known so quiet and thats before the winter Image Image
lloydy
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by lloydy »

15 years ago Joff golf clubs round here had between 3 and 15 year waiting lists for membership, now the prices have plummeted and I don't think any now have a waiting list
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

its the same in any sport now ,we sponsor the kids football here in rothley its not massive kit and  refreshments always get a thankyou when the lads come in but the manager often says its getting harder and harder to get them to come everyweek :-/ :-/ :-/ so you imagine trying to get them up for fishing plus the cost Image Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

I've spoken to rob wootton about this time and time again its so frustrating for the likes of him he's in a very lucky situation as his hobby is his livelihood a full time job and we just don't understand why the match angler has given up the ghost so suddenly its all fragmented into 20 going here and there instead of thinking about it and having one big match :D :D :D
its agreat pitty for all the top anglers
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: MaverBaitech
Sponsor: Maver / Baitech

Unread post by CHOPWORM HERO »

A lot more people are working overtime / continental shifts aswell.
The cost is a big issue with everything going up.
My costs for Sunday :
Blood and Joker £12.00
Pint and a half of casters £4.80
Sweetcorn £1.00
Groundbait £18.00 (sweet and fishmeal mix.)
Diesel £10.00
Pools £20.00
Drink in the morning and after. £4.00
Total £69.80
Normally I travel further so diesel cheap on this one !
Do this 2 days a week and it is a lot of money.
It's no wonder fishing is slowing down on the open scene in the current climate.
kirtons

Unread post by kirtons »

ive just started up again after a good ten year lay off,im 32 now and used to fish junior matches on the local canal tuesday evenings years ago,seniors would fish opens on thursday nights regularly getting 20 plus anglers. i remember the pools being half decent back then circa 1994. one thing ive noticed is a lack of juniors and clubs for them to join this helped me get on in the sport,costs must be putting a lot of people off at the minute but there are a distinct lack of opens available on canals and rivers offering the prize money of these big events fished on commies,if tackle firms put up some prizes and sponsorship for some big matches on canals and rivers like they do on commies it might generate some interest
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by bill yards »

A lot more people are working overtime / continental shifts aswell.
The cost is a big issue with everything going up.
My costs for Sunday :
Blood and Joker £12.00
Pint and a half of casters £4.80
Sweetcorn £1.00
Groundbait £18.00 (sweet and fishmeal mix.)
Diesel £10.00
Pools £20.00
Drink in the morning and after. £4.00
Total £69.80
Normally I travel further so diesel cheap on this one !
Do this 2 days a week and it is a lot of money.
It's no wonder fishing is slowing down on the open scene in the current climate.

Choppie, You've missed off the bog rolls after you have drawn a flier, - they must cost you a fair bit Image Image Image Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

frightening choppy  :o :o £140  for two days fishing
so if you fish say 48 matches a year thats £6,720,00 Image Image Imagebloo#y hell and add a Wednesday match that's another 3,360,00 = £10,000 a year i know that's at the top of the matches but like you said often the fuel is a lot more
how do the top lads afford it :o :oam sure i read in one of the mags that lee kerry has had 52 days off work for fishing [top angler and that's dedication] but there can't be that many that can afford to do that and thats without new tackle Image Imagesh#t i hope the tank commander doesn't see this or that will be two holidays a year Image Image Image Image

crappity smack me i could join dodge and his lad with hospitality at man city for less Image Image
lloydy
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by lloydy »

Dont worry about the top lads who win a bit, how about the ones who go twice a week and hardly ever pick up. This puts into Perspective why some anglers pick a venue, perfect a method and stay there instead of paying £120 to try and beat Des Shipp and co
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

correct but its nice when you do beat them perhaps it me i used to fish against them week in week out now i'm not so sure, i like go and watch them just as much .i might have a trip down on saturday just have a look
there is never going to be a answer to this question and perhaps picking and choosing matches is the only way
march is coming and that means stafford moor i hope just hope des ain't there with his 4kg of worms Image Image Image
lloydy
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by lloydy »

I'm with you Joff, I would fish every week against them but there's no right or wrong it's just what anglers wanna do. Some enjoy having 10 bites for 100lb where's I would pack it in rather than do that
Gorrell80

Unread post by Gorrell80 »

I suppose we are fortunate in that our team has a range of ages - indeed this year we have fielded our commercial side in the North Wales Winter League. 

It is true to say that the average age of anglers wanting to fish commercials is young.  Our team sunday will have only two anglers over the age of 40! With most between the age of 24-30!

We still fish events on natural waters too! It seems our older anglers prefer these! I guess that makes people like Dodge and Baz Thomas the grandads of the squad? Image

One thing for sure you need anglers that are keen and willing to put the effort in!

What do you reckon Dodge?

ps. Mozzer is trying to grow a moustache at the minute - he looks like a right b£ll e&d! ;)
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by Dodge »

What do you reckon Dodge?

ps. Mozzer is trying to grow a moustache at the minute - he looks like a right b£ll e&d!

Err  Question 1 i couldnt agree more mate

Question 2  it doesnt take much for mozzer to look a right bellend !  Image :D  Image Image
Mancunian

Unread post by Mancunian »

Your right Chris, commercials are mainly fished by the younger generation of anglers with the older school including me prefering natural venues. If Dodge is classed as a "grandad" i dread to think what you class me as ! No sarcastic replies please :-/
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by Dodge »

I guess that makes people like Dodge and Baz Thomas the grandads of the squad?

WTF !!!! Image Image Image Image Image Image