If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Cmon own up............

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cmon own up............

Unread post by TK »

Simps got me thinking after this post

YaBB.pl?num=1321561294/0

Years ago - no Gortex, windstopper fleeces, in fact no winter angling 'clobber' in general - well not that I can remember

In fact Mr Crabtree still wore his suit, shirt and tie and trilby on them frostie days :D

What did you wear to beat the elements way back then, and who's gunna own up to wearing the missus tights Image
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: MaverBaitech
Sponsor: Maver / Baitech

Cmon own up............

Unread post by CHOPWORM HERO »

My first piece of good kit was a rompa suit and a partridge jacket !
lloydy
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: Maver Midlands

Cmon own up............

Unread post by lloydy »

I'm only a baby, map clothing for me
Arch
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Cmon own up............

Unread post by Arch »

I had a Dartex (sp) suit once, bit short on the body so it creased me and fu*king hot if you had to walk a long way. I ended up wearing my Hill walking kit when i fished. I found most fishing waterproofs wern't.

It has been known for me to wear "some" of the missus's stuff, but not tights...................
darkhorse

Cmon own up............

Unread post by darkhorse »

thick parka coat when i was a young lad, brrrrings back some cold memories, best things me dads flask of coffee was laced with whiskey, mmm pacified.

thought i was the beez when i got one of those one peice fleece thingies, cozy, moon boots were the main essential keeping the toes toasty, 1st pair were blue furred line before we had skeetex/boom 80's etc
MrV
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Personal Text: Still waiting on an end peg!!
Match Team/ Club: Cashmores MG
Sponsor: NHS

Cmon own up............

Unread post by MrV »

I will own up TK . Well my ex thought they were hers lol  Image Used to scam some thermal overalls from stores at power station for winter time. Best bit of kit I carried in winter was a pice of 2" thick polystyrene that fitted nicely in the top of my box, it then went on the snow or frosty ground for my feet to rest on. No need for thermal boots, but a pain in the arris on the odd occasion it blew in the cut  Image
MarkV
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Cmon own up............

Unread post by MarkV »

My first propper 'fishing coat' was a mountain climbing jacket, made out of some sort of canvas, hooded, no opening at the front and went straight over your head, breast pocket I think.

Unlined, it was bloomin freezin.

The man in the shop told mom it was the best thing out, but I think Captain Scott must have had one.

I was still upset when I left it on the bank at Holt Fleet, never to be seen again.

Even before that, I can still see my Dad, rubbing his hands together to keep warm, in his 'raincoat', at Holt Fleet again, as we fished in freezing conditions off the big stones.

Don't know if anyone had 'fishing clothes' then.
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Cmon own up............

Unread post by bill yards »

Trench, slleveless leather jacket type thing, sleeveless.

From Army and Navy Stores.

Similar to what the coleman wore, - loads of us had them in those days, unbelievably warm on yer back. Image Image Image Image
grover
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Cmon own up............

Unread post by grover »

as a lad i did the odd night on the river, i wore me mums suede sheepskin ankle boots, they were warm as toast!! for a coat is was a parka for me.. this topic got me thinking...what did the early mountaineers wear when they scaled everest? tweed i guess
Arch
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Cmon own up............

Unread post by Arch »

Yes they did.

I do abit of hill walking and the gear we wear woulndn't be any good for fishing because we sit still. Mountain/Hill walking clothing is designed to get rid of heat and sweat IE: Gortex, Event. Whereas fishing is mostly a sedatery pastime so would require more insulation than moisture wicking.

Gortex type clothing works to expel moisture (Sweat) through the fabric. Possibly a bit OTT for fishing. A good, well proofed "Normal" type coat for fishing would be alright. How many of us wash our fishing gear and then re-proof it ?? Would work alot better if we did.

To keep warm, a down jacket.
trypewriter
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Cmon own up............

Unread post by trypewriter »

The leather jerkin type thing that Bill mentions used to be the 'uniform' for Cofton Hackett back in the day. I remember Clive Smith, Ken Giles and a certain 'Kingfisher' favouring them.
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Cmon own up............

Unread post by bill yards »

Yup,

I can picture Clive Smith wearing his now; I think he virtually always fished (however cold it was) with his sleeves rolled up. Image
trypewriter
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Cmon own up............

Unread post by trypewriter »

And there's the key Bill, I'm sure that one of the reasons that they wore them was that hooks couldn't get caught in them.