If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Remember this rule............?

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

From the 70s.......

Competitors must not on any account ground-bait the swim, wet a line, plumb the depth or disturb the water other than to wet ground-bait, before the starting signal.

That used to be the first 15 minutes or so of every match out of the window, adjusting shotting and plumbing up - be fun and games with the no of rigs we set up these days Image
Chris V
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by Chris V »

LOL i remember that rule Image First match i ever fished was a junior open match on the Lea by The Old English Gentleman Pub.The match was run by Trevs of Walsthamstow. How i understood the rule was that you was aloud to feed groundbait 15 minutes before the whistle which i did Image Image Anyway i did get in trouble and was told to start the match 15 minutes later than all the other competitors.
Come the end of the match i weighed in a Perch and a Bleak for 1 oz  Image Image Still won a prize, a reel bag which i still own. I was only about 14 then ::)
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Nice one ChrisV - a 'bostin' memory to share with us Image
Chris V
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by Chris V »

LOL TK i also went for a walk that day and watched the winner catching bleak on a grease line.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Chris - if I provoke someone to post a memory from yesteryear - and there's millions of great one's out there not yet 'documented' anywhere - then I've served my purpose on here Image

i'm on one great nostalgia trip and love to hear tales of everyones experiences Image Image Image - whether 50 years or 5 days ago Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

that's when rules were rules TK ,as a junior you had to read the book of NFA rules before most competitions
i still see to this day anglers casting empty feeders out or methods .i bet most of these anglers haven't seen the NFAs book of rules
MGB
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG

Unread post by MGB »

From the 70s.......

Competitors must not on any account ground-bait the swim, wet a line, plumb the depth or disturb the water other than to wet ground-bait,  before the starting signal.

That used to be the first 15 minutes or so of every match out of the window, adjusting shotting and plumbing up - be fun and games with the no of rigs we set up these days   

Maybe it should still apply. I remember fishing a match on the Avon many years ago and my swim was six inches deep right the way across the river except for a 3 or  4 ft fast glide down the far bank. The only way I could fish it was with a heavy waggler and I cast over [with a bare hook] to try to get the depth before the off. The float dipped and before I knew it, I was amazed to find myself into a hefty fish! The next nearest angler was out of sight and it crossed my mind that no one would know if I netted the fish before the whistle. I immediately dismissed the idea and shouted down to Les that I had a fish on so that I couldn't have been accused of cheating. As it happened the fish came off before I could land it and guess what, I never had another fish and dry netted!
It did make me wonder though, would everyone have done the same?
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Reminds me of a pleasure session, not a match in the 'woods' at Little Onn with Nick Povey back in the late 80s

We were peg by peg and he'd plumbed up and was just checking his shotting with a bare hook. The float went - a roach had taken his red hook (remember them? - I dont see many of them these days in the shops by us)

'We are on for a shedful' I thought to myself Image

Was we eck as like - neither of us could buy a bite after that. Image
TerryC

Unread post by TerryC »

i also went for a walk that day and watched the winner catching bleak on a grease line.
I had a good run in club matches targeting bleak in that era, I used two sections of an old match rod with the line looped on to the end and one of those little white plastic floats with two holes in that you slipped up the line with greased line below it and watched the curls streatch out as a bleak took the hookbait. So simple fishing. Image
MarkV
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by MarkV »

I do remember this rule TK. Thats how it was when I started, then after a while you could plumb up.

To be honest, I think what's allowed today, casting out of feeders, floats and whatever is too loose and open to fiddling.

I fished a match on the Avon a couple of years ago, Shakespeare qualifier and the guy below me was running his waggler down the far bank ages before the whistle, many times.

I seriously wasn't sure whether he was fishing or checking the swim out very thoroughly, he was fairly hidden.

I don't normally fish at that level and I still don't know if thats how its done, whether thats acceptable or not.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Perhaps he was just doing a lot of depth/shotting alterations Mark - at an inch a time :-/
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: MaverBaitech
Sponsor: Maver / Baitech

Unread post by CHOPWORM HERO »

Some of us do spend time running the float Mark on the avon, so many cabbages, whips and weed.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

choppy is right the avon at evesham is full of weed and cabbages you need to know what depth you can run through at really before you start and its not like you can use a plumet Image Image