If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

laying on

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

laying on

Unread post by joffmiester »

many years ago when open matches only took place once a month i can remember the likes of dave Thomas ,robin grouse botty and many more fishing the QUORN WINTER OPEN the draw was at the cons club in quorn and the match was on every bit of club water we had .i remember this year quite well as it was freezing and the river has a little pace and colour back then .i drew barrow deeps and maybe 15 yards away was a young lad Neil Raynard neither of us had much kit i had one of Ivan's 4 piece black persuader rod it was very soft from what i remember and the old wicker basket with 6 legs a few floats and bits and bobs the frost and mist had just started to rise with the sun breaking through as the match started back then 5lb was a good weight and could easily win most matches
this day started like most for me nothing nothing the old flask came out to warm the cold feet up :-/ :-/
Neil next door had caught a roach more by accident then anything as he'd walked down to for a drink and when he returned it was hanging on Image Imagea bit of banter followed Image Image
what followed was quite unbelievable i started to lay on down the side :o :o and roach after followed a real golden day i weighed 4lb 15oz and won the match neil was second and the chap next to him was 3rd ted baldock who ran the match Image and on the same day back at the club mick Coffey dropped £100 out of the fruit machine and refused to put 10pback in to clear it Image Imagewhat great memories we have of the old days
laying on what a method that day Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

laying on

Unread post by TK »

the old flask came out to warm the cold feet up

What - did you dip your toes in it Joffie Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

laying on

Unread post by TK »

and refused to put 10pback in to clear it

I know a few like that Mick Coffey too Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

laying on

Unread post by joffmiester »

bloody good times TK Image Image
can't ever remember any of the top anglers saying to i caught laying on Image Image Image Image
MrV
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Personal Text: Still waiting on an end peg!!
Match Team/ Club: Cashmores MG
Sponsor: NHS

laying on

Unread post by MrV »

bloody good times TK  Image Image
can't ever remember any of the top anglers saying to i caught laying on  Image Image Image Image

We used to fish a method called stret pegging on our club matches back in the old days on the tidal Trent. Had my one and only 2lb river Roach on it. It was a brilliant method, and I think it progressed to become known as "float legering" after a few tweeks by well known anglers  Image
Arch
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

laying on

Unread post by Arch »

I was fishing the Derby teams of four, on a peg opposite Newton Solney's "Old Stretch at Willington i think. I'd been catching stamp Roach on the stick all day and thought i was doing well in the section. Half an hour to go i pulled out of a fish at the net, resulting in the rig tangling around the rod.  Image

I'd got a waggler set up that must have been two/three feet overdepth for the stick line. Chucked it out anyway and was straight into better Roach to a pound. Catch rate stayed the same just bigger fish. Should have tried earlier.  Image
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

laying on

Unread post by bill yards »

Laying on.

Yes my best experiece of laying on was also on the Trent, John Thompson section.

It was that crappity smack hot I had a kip on the grass; I was laying on me pole and bost the crappity smack. Happy times, true an' all Image
grover
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

laying on

Unread post by grover »

yea it is a good old method that brings back memories, many years ago i usta do it with the pole and a tiny feeder, cought loads of fish doing this, it was way back in the 80s on the lea at rye house.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

laying on

Unread post by TK »

It was that crappity smacking hot I had a kip on the grass; I was laying on me pole and bost the crappity smacker.

Image Image Image Image Image
TerryC

laying on

Unread post by TerryC »

In my early clubbie days (pre feeder) all the members used to lay-on down the side usually if the river had extra water on or if it was in flood, I had some success using a large olivette instead of a large shot.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

laying on

Unread post by TK »

Back in the mid 80s I first 'clocked' Tat who used to fish my gruellers fishing the bomb on the 6mtr whip and the pole with a flicktip on - this was on a swollen Trent at Rugeley Power Station.

I followed suit and on occasions it snared me a fish or two in 'dire' conditions.

But I was entering that stage in life where I didnt wanna look at the end of a tip.........so

I knocked up some rigs - Turbetini 1 and 1.5g carrot floats - with a bomb and paternosted hook length. Used to hold these dead still or if no bite coming, inch the bomb through the swim
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

laying on

Unread post by Dave C »

yea it is a good old method that brings back memories, many years ago i usta do it with the pole and a tiny feeder, cought loads of fish doing this, it was way back in the 80s on the lea at rye house.

I used to do it in the late 60s on the pegs downstream of Carthagena Lock at Broxbourne Grover. Caught me some good fish especially when using a bait dropper to feed. Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

laying on

Unread post by TK »

when using a bait dropper to feed

A must DaveC in those conditions Image

Hadnt got any spare top 5s or 6s those days, so used to set up the (additional) pole to use the dropper
grover
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

laying on

Unread post by grover »

yea the crown! what a place that was!! rye house had its good days too, i was born and bred a stones throw from the place! infact i now live inbtween the crown/rye house/dobbs wier.. i found out that, fishing heavier floats on the pole and holding back on the run through,( fishing 10mtr pole to hand) i cought a lot more fish, i took this method all along this end of the lea and done really well on it, in places it was like waggler fishing the bank but with more control. rye house is the deepest stretch of the lea ive ever fished,so it was allways good for the pole. the crown was a good waggler stretch.

I used to do it in the late 60s on the pegs downstream of Carthagena Lock at Broxbourne  Grover. Caught me some good fish especially when using a bait dropper to feed.  Image[/quote]
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

laying on

Unread post by Dave C »

I only got to fish Rye House once I seem to remember the noise of a gocart track coming from the far side ( Well the memory fades a bit over the years it must have been over 40 years ago Image Image ).

We tended to fish the St Margarets stretch further up river or the Crown.
grover
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

laying on

Unread post by grover »

most people did m8! which is why we kept rye house a secret for a good few years!! there were shoals of bream but they were really shy of usual tactics in my day, i mean no groundbait! loose feed was the way, on its day rye house was as good as anywhere else! ive seen 40lbs nets here b4! roach odd big chub an bream!! oh and the massive perch,which im told are still about here? i once had 8lbs of big perch in an hour in the winter using the tactics above, ive a foto of that afternoon sumwhere