If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Alders Farm. Wednesday 5th October 2011

Marsh Results and Reports.

Moderator: Spamwham

Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Happily retired.
Match Team/ Club: Maggotdrowning.com
Sponsor: Taxpayers.

Unread post by Mugger »

I'll just kick this off with a BIG THANK YOU to Keith for organising the day for us. Image
Lovely venue and a cracking day that I for one really enjoyed. Image
:cheerleader :cheerleader Watch out, watch out, there's a Mugger about :cheerleader :cheerleader
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

Unread post by Dave C »

Thanks for organising the day Keith. Im sure I speak for all of us when I say we will be back. It wasnt my most pleasurable days fishing following my slip down the bank but at least I managed a reasonable weight.
I must learn to draw away from Clive as I was pestered by his small fish again.

Well done to Keith Powell Al Loader and Mick Wright who beat their PB match weights. Image Image

Unfortunately despite getting the biggest weight Al was disqualified for exceeding Alders limit of 100lb of fish in his nets.

I must also add my personal thanks to Trevor Price for his help and advice and to all those that helped me after my fall. Image Image
Tel
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Tel »

Nothing serious I hope - you're obviously getting too old to go fishing and should leave it to us younger ones  Image
al
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by al »

cack Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
al
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by al »

hope your backs ok dave :-? :-? :-?
keith thanks for organising Image Image Image
knackered today :) :) :)
john_holdsworth
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by john_holdsworth »

Thanks Keith for a great day and for organising this event. Image
I loved the place, fishing great, food good. Image
I caught a few more fish then 136lb 8oz as i didn't put in the rudd and as i had four nets i lost a few trying to put them in (as the landing net bigger the the  4th keep net).

i think this should be on the list for next year for a match.
john_holdsworth
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by john_holdsworth »

Sorry forgot how are you Dave?
Wisah you better/ Image
(Hope there not an earthquate on the other side of the world in next couple of days ie the ripple effect Image Image Image)
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Unread post by Simple »

Tut Tut Son, I thought I'd taught you better Image Image

Image Image Image
keith
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Did I say 30lb
Sponsor: GOT Baits

Unread post by keith »

Cheers lads for making it a good day. Dave you need to improve your triple salko if you still trying to get in the olympic team.

Clive i owe you section monies
Golfs a game for people who cannot catch fish
Clive
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Clive »

Thanks for running a great day Keith Image

After doing the weigh in and then pushing my trolley up the hill I thought I was gonna die :'(
So didn't walk back for the results :-[

I think next time we need more people for the weigh in or put less in the nets as lifting 50lbs+ onto the scales is crazy Image
keith74

Unread post by keith74 »

thanks all for a great day, was well chuffed with my weight and also winning the section :) :).... glad your ok after the fall and well done on your win al, not bad for a lake virgin ;) ;)
kev the catch
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by kev the catch »

Thanks Keith for organising the day. Image Top venue.

Well done to all those who managed personal best's.

Can we add the venue for a Marsh match next year.

Hope your backs ok Dave heard the scream of pain from the other side of the lake
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Dave C »

Just got back from the Doctors. Should be OK but may take a couple of weeks to sort out. She gave me 3 weeks worth if diclofenac.
Hopefully they will work as its rather painful at the mo. Gear is still in the car waiting to be unloaded cant get my son to unload it as he is recovering from a double hernia operation.
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Dave C »

There seems to be a concensus that we have another match there next year though Im not sure it works as an official Club match as Im sure a number of members cant or want to travel that far. That doesnt mean we cant have an additional non counting match.
I suspect that they are fully booked for weekend matches next year so we may have to do a midweeker again. let me have a word with Keith to see what we can come up with. Image
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Happily retired.
Match Team/ Club: Maggotdrowning.com
Sponsor: Taxpayers.

Re: Alders Farm. Wednesday 5th October 2011

Unread post by Mugger »

Well today sees me and some other members of Marsh AC visiting Alders Farm Fishery just outside the village of Great Brickhill. It's really nothing more than a friendly mid-week knock up that's been arranged by club member Keith Ashby who lives reasonably close to the fishery. It's a venue that's capable of throwing up some mega match weights, so it will be interesting to see how we get on fishing the Match Lake today Image.

However that means an early start for me today to avoid as much weekday traffic as I can, so I'm up at silly O'clock and have the car loaded and ready to go in time to drop Maria off at work at 6am, then it's a case of driving straight through Central London to get onto the M1, then onto the A5 to get to Alders Farm. This saw me pulling into the car park just before 9am along with Al and Keith P Image. We soon had our kit unloaded and with our nets dipped and feed pellet purchased from Gary who pointed us in the right direction and we made our way down to the pump house where Gwen had kindly opened up so we could get a pre match bacon sarnie and a cuppa that was much appreciated Image. Joining us today were Trev and Bert from GOT Baits along with Mick and John B who work with Keith. Standing outside on the patio you could see plenty of carp cruising around Peg 1 and a couple of crusts were eagerly devoured by them. Trev as usual was a mine of information for those that hadn't fished the venue before Image. Unfortunately Simon phoned to say he'd had been delayed, so at 9·30am we went ahead with the draw and peg 1 was the one that ended up in my hand. Nice short walk then Image.

Unfortunately the weather had taken a bit of a turn for the worse after the glorious sunshine we'd had for the past few days with grey overcast skies and just the odd glimpse of sun along with a stiff wind blowing straight into the peg, but having been advised by Trev to stick to fishing top 2's and 3's hopefully that wouldn't be to much of a problem. Jean provided a welcome cuppa Image so I set about sorting out my gear. I elected to keep it simple and set up just 3 identical rigs. these were all 0·2 NG Mk 2 Edger's on 0·20 Ultima Power Match straight through to size 14 Guru MWG's. As it was just a friendly knock up bait was simply going to be the fishery 6mm pellet for feed and 8mm hard pellet for the hook, though Trev did give me some new 6mm hookers he's working on to try as well Image.

Simon had arrived by now and Keith delayed the start to give him a chance to set up, so I took a stroll to chat with Al and Keith on pegs 2 & 3. Unfortunately over on the other side Dave had taken a tumble getting down to his peg but Trev and the rest of the lads on his side rallied round to check that he was OK Image. Al appeared to be well up for it today with visions of breaking his match PB today from what was a decent peg Image......

......... while Keith had been put under a bit of pressure from the Alders regulars among us as they were of the opinion that he'd drawn 'The Flyer' in Peg 3, though in Keith's defence it should be noted that he doesn't fish that many matches there, not that it seemed to make any difference to Trev, Vic or Bert Image.

Looking across I could see Keith P on Peg 28, another guest today taking advantage of a sunny interlude and apparently lost in thought, he'd never had a 'Ton' in a match, and was hoping that today would be the day. Trev has sorted him out with some advise on how to tackle the peg and even given him one of his own rigs so hopefully today would be the day Image......

So at 10·45 Keith called the All-In and this seemed to be the cue for the sun to vanish and the wind increase in my corner Image. A handful of pellet toward the pump house wall and another to the bush to my right and out with a banded 8mm to the bush. This led to a number of super fast bites which turned out to be from small rudd trying to engulf the pellet, but they weren't what I was after so I switched across toward the wall. Within a minute the float sailed away and soon the first Alders carp of the day was safely in the net, a Common of around 2lbs to get me off the mark Image. What I had hoped to do was alternate between the wall and the bush and take fish from both sides and then come back to a top 2 in the edges as the day wore on, but with the bush seeming to be solid with small rudd I had to concentrate on the wall swim and I felt that slowed my catch rate down.

Meanwhile Simon opposite me was targeting the end of the bush on his left hand margin, however it was turning into a day of frustration for him which would end up costing him a damaged top kit and No4 section before the match was over Image .......

Steady away probably describes my progress, the wind gusting into the peg was the real problem as I was having to wait for lulls to feed as when it was gusting I couldn't even throw 6mm's 3 sections out!!! By around 1·30pm my calf was starting to ache, a legacy of pulling it at Rockells Farm, so I had a stroll up to see how Al and Keith were doing.
Al was going along steadily, feeding and fishing off the end of his nets, taking fish regularly and obviously on his way to a decent weight Image ......

Meanwhile Keith was targeting his right hand margin and although he was catching reasonably steadily felt that Al was pulling away from him Image ......

A quick chat with Kev revealed that he was enjoying his day and although his catch rate was nowhere near either Keith or Al's he was regularly putting the odd fish in the net fishing down his right hand margin Image .....

Back at my peg the bush was still solid with rudd, however I'd been feeding close in as well and felt it was time to take a look and see if I could pick up some bonus margin fish.
Indeed the fish were there, but they seemed to be much smaller fish around the 8-12oz mark, not quite what I'd planned so back to the wall swim. Thankfully this was still producing and I ended up fishing there for the rest of the match as it steadily produced fish right up to when Keith called the All-Out at 3·45pm. I'd ended up with 76 carp which I felt should give me somewhere around 150lbs Image.

As I was packing my kit away Kevin came round for the scales. He and John were planning to fish on after the match, so they were going to start our half of the weigh-in straight away. I soon caught up with them, JohnB had a day fishing the method on Peg 9 and had 34½lbs. Next up was Vic who'd made full use of his knowledge of the water to put an excellent 310lbs on the scales Image. John was next with 136½lbs and Kevin 74½lbs. Keith had 199¼lbs just short of a 'Double Ton'. Al had a fantastic day shattering his best ever match weight with 343lbs.

Image However Alders operates a strict 100lbs per net limit and he was over on all 3 nets resulting in a disqualification Image. Finally my fish took the scales round to 176¼lbs Image.

With our part of the Weigh-In completed we assembled back at the pump house for the results. Gwen had kindly returned and opened it up and had left us a tin of cakes and tea and coffee, an unexpected treat and greatly appreciated Image. Keith collated the final results and as a result of Al's misfortune it meant that Trevor took the honours on the day with 333¼lbs Image while Vic was second Image and Bert's weight of 229lbs taking third Image so a clean sweep for the GOT Bait lads.  A hard lesson for Al as he'd never caught anything close to that weight of fish before, but a mistake I'm sure he won't repeat again Image. Keith P was well made up however as his weight of 186¼lbs had enabled him to record his first ever match 'Ton'Image.

Overall a very enjoyable day and Thanks to Keith for organising it today Image , Alders Farm is a very special fishery that does attract some criticism for the weights it produces, however the most noticeable thing is that while a lot of waters are way down on their normal levels this year Alders has maintained its normal levels as it's spring fed and it's this that allows it to sustain the large head of fish and indeed allows them to breed successfully. Dinah and Gary have a quality, well managed fishery in beautiful surroundings that I'm sure Marsh AC and its members will be returning to in the future Image. Just a pity that it's not a bit closer to home for me, as I could see myself becoming a regular there with the other lakes that the fishery has on offer Image.
:cheerleader :cheerleader Watch out, watch out, there's a Mugger about :cheerleader :cheerleader
al
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by al »

Dave il definitely be up for a return visit
go and turnover the got bait boys on there home lake
Again  :D :D Image Image :D Image

But il use 6 keepnets Image :'( :'( Image ImageImage Image
al
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by al »

Dave I'm not at work tomorrow if you want il come round and unload the motor for ya.
You'll have to make the tea though Image
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Dave C »

No its OK mate we will manage. Thanks for the offer though. Image
SiDev
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by SiDev »

Keith, a belated thanks on this, top venue.....it was not my day all ways round but can't wait for another crack at it, although crack is not a word to use given the crack in my top section...the crack in my number 4 section...and numerous crack offs grrrr >:( >:( :)