If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Birmingham mainline canal

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
Woodhouse
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: Maver Tipton VDE

Unread post by Woodhouse »

There has been a pollution incident on the mainline canal, Wolverhampton city centre seems to be worst hit. Can anyone living near the mainline or wryly/Essington keep me informed of where it's going
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Unread post by Simple »

Any update on this Lee Image
macca
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Personal Text: TRUE BLUE
Match Team/ Club: shakespeare superteam
Sponsor: four ashes

Unread post by macca »

there was a fire in a factory in ettingshall,arson. so far the pollution has spread to wendsfield. at least 5 thousand fish are dead.
kev p
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: maver midlands
Sponsor: maver

Unread post by kev p »

got dead fish out for 2 days now ones we as match anglers never see made me bad iv spoke 2 lee u can 3x macca
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Simple »

Its a shame when such vast numbers of fish are killed no matter how big or small. :(
Paul_Murrin
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Unread post by Paul_Murrin »

Oh dear Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Woodhouse
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Had a few reports and it is horrific, some massive tench (8lb+) have been killed with thousands and thousands of roach, perch, skimmers and rudd.

The main impact has been the mainline from ettingshall to wolves city centre but the pollution is now going down the wryley and the locks to the staffs/ worcs.
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Simple »

Cant they stop the locks from being opened to help contain the contamination ?
macca
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by macca »

they never do,heaven forbid the boaters wont be able to get from a to b.
kev p
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by kev p »

locks shut by me at 2 30 today
macca
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by macca »

great news,it would of been a shame to see all them new fish stocked last year wiped out.
kev p
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by kev p »

press release in last nights paper said 4 to 5000 dead fish miss understaning on phone should have read 45000
MGB
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG

Unread post by MGB »

they never do,heaven forbid the boaters wont be able to get from a to b.
[close the locks]

They do, and they did!
macca
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by macca »

the last two pollutions in wolverhampton that i witnessed the locks were not shut.I watched boats going down locks on the staffs worc.
babward

Unread post by babward »

In response to the concern of fishermen on this site regarding the pollution that seems to have killed all fish in a wide area of the Main Line Canal & Wryley & Essington I would like you to read the following to understand how boaters feel about it.  We are very concerned about the wild life on, around and in the canal & fish especially.

The following message was sent out to the members of our Society:-

Some of you may have already seen the following message from Laurence Hogg, who is today hoping to assist the chaps dealing with the pollution with the help of the work boat Barnet.
Cruising in this area I would imagine is a "no go" area. Of course that is up to British Waterways & the Environment Agency to decide.
An absolute catastrophe for all wildlife in this area. We know what a superb area this is for fish as you can see shoals of them in the clear water as you travel towards Wolverhampton on the Old Main Line or the Wyrley & Essington. Now the water is opaque and the fish are all dead and many birds & mammals.

"Following an arson attack on a warehouse in Ettingshall just outside of Wolverhampton a large quantity of spillage into the BCN main line has occurred. This had included oils, thinners, solvents and shampoo plus aerosol contents. This has killed tens of thousands of fish, it has affected ducks and swans and anything that has been in contact with the water.
British Waterways have today removed over 800 pounds of dead fish alone from the canal stretching from Ettingshall to Bentley Bridge. It is a very sad sight as the waters here were crystal clear and teeming with life. Some boys at Bentley Bridge had rescued a squirrel which had been drinking and then collapsed; sadly it died on the towpath a few minutes later. There are reports of Swans in distress in March End Wednesfield too. The BW lads have done a hard days work today and I must say they looked very upset at the days events, one showed me a picture they had taken of 16 huge sacks being stored in the council freezer for incineration.

One of the great attractions of the canal in this area was the wildlife and fishing, as one BW man said “It will take years to repair this damage".

I would ask you all to pass the word around to stay away from the Wolverhampton area for a few days to help stop the contaminant going further, I understand restrictions are in place on the Wolverhampton 21. I can assure you that boating in this area over the next few days will not give you a pretty picture to remember."
MGB
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG

Unread post by MGB »

Thanks for posting that, "Boater with fishing husband" You beat me to it.
Of course boaters are just as concerned as the fishermen regarding this disaster. I just wish some fishermen wouldn't use it as an excuse to have a pop at boaters! Its the mindless scum who perpetrate these evil acts that we should direct our comments to. I would hold their worthless heads under the very water they polluted till they die, if I had my way!!

Just read that Allens tackle shop has recently been targeted by arsonists as well. It beggers belief that some one would attempt to destroy someones property and business just for a lark.
This after thousands of pounds had to be spent repairing Wyrley Grove Bridge [Cannock Extension] after the idiots of this world systematically loosened the bricks and toppled them into the canal!
What is the matter with these people. [I don't beieve it's all down to kids!]
MGB
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG

Unread post by MGB »

Update from BW

Old Main Line canal Thursday 6 October 2011 until further noticeThe major pollution incident on the Old Main Line canal is still ongoing. In order to reduce the spread of pollution we are pulling the polluted water towards the locks so it can be treated by running water through the locks. This is obviously lowering the water level on the canal and boaters will notice a drop in levels over the coming days. At the moment we are working with the EA to do everything possible to both resolve the pollution problem and maintain water levels in the canal. Therefore, although the canal remains open deep draughted craft may have some difficulties navigating the canal. We will endeavour to keep you updated on this issue accordingly. British Waterways apologise for any inconvenience caused. Enquiries: 01827 252000
Woodhouse
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Thanks for keeping us updated boaters, very much appreciated.
lerc9151
Personal Text: 35Kg of roach and still lost

Unread post by lerc9151 »