If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Rockells Farm 18th September 2011

Marsh Results and Reports.

Moderator: Spamwham

Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

Unread post by Dave C »

Well that was a difficult days fishing and weights well down on what was expected.

Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Happily retired.
Match Team/ Club: Maggotdrowning.com
Sponsor: Taxpayers.

Unread post by Mugger »

Well that was a difficult days fishing and weights well down on what was expected.

Dave,
You're going to give TK palpiations, coming out with a statement like that. >:(

He'll be expecting a  Image then he'll see the weights.  :o

Still a good days fishing by anyones standards, unless your name is Clive of course. Image Image Image
:cheerleader :cheerleader Watch out, watch out, there's a Mugger about :cheerleader :cheerleader
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Dave C »

Im only telling it like it was Peter.  The fish never seemed to settle and I couldnt get into a rhythm. Probably due to the very low water conditions.

While nearly 200lb is an extremely good days fishing it is the lowest winning weight we have had in 4 years and wouldnt have got you into the top 5 in the last 2 matches. Hence my comments
Still a good days fishing by anyones standards, unless your name is Clive of course.

I understand he is changing his name and the drawing hand is undergoing a refresher training course before Rolfs this weekend. I have found the hangmans noose you made for me last week and will pass it on to Clive on Saturday. Image Image Image Image
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Mugger »

I didn't even have the heart to take a photo of him on Peg 17, as I've seldom seen a picture of such abject misery as Clive yesterday. :'(
:cheerleader :cheerleader Watch out, watch out, there's a Mugger about :cheerleader :cheerleader
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Unread post by Simple »

Poor Clive, did he have no corner peg with tree's and reeds this time Image Image
We all have bad days and I know how he feels after I was the only one not to weigh in 100+ yesterday Image

Well Done Dave Image Image
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Dave C »

He did have a corner peg one of the noted flyers where Mugger had 200lb+ last year. Unfortunately the owner had done some recent gardening and the water was a weeny bit shallow in his peg. Image Image
Clive
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Clive »

Can't blame the hand Dave :o
I asked for a a corner peg flyer and the drawing hand produced peg 17 a corner peg flyer :)

I knew it was going to be a bad day when I plumbed up the margin mugger fished last year and the top of my plummet was still out of the water :(

Still could have been worse it could have rained ;)

Oh it did :'(
keith
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Did I say 30lb
Sponsor: GOT Baits

Unread post by keith »

I must admit it was shallower this year but i still managed to keep fish coming throughout the match.

Congrats to dave,al and john on framing.
Golfs a game for people who cannot catch fish
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Mugger »

Think I may have solved the mystery of the vanishing Mr East, as I'm sure i saw him on Match of the Day at the Spurs match. Image
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Dave C »

I expect he totally forgot he was supposed to be fishing with us as i havent had a phone call from him. >:( >:(
john_holdsworth
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by john_holdsworth »

I was lucky, I got peg 10 which nobody wanted and in the margins there was 18inches of water, it was hard work in the morning but went crazy in the afternoon 50 carp in 3 hours for 128lb working out 1carp in 3minutes 10 seconds Image.
Well done Dave & Al
Poor Martin is running out of pole sections after breaking another one.
Have taken a couple of photo's I get zack to put them on for me soon. Image
SiDev
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by SiDev »

Always odd to get over a ton and say it was not a great day, I guess it's knowing what it is capable off.....for me they came in bursts but every time I thought I had it sussed a lull followed.....but all in a great day with the usual laughs....I do wonder if Mugger would still be trying to get up the hill with his trolley if assistance had not been at hand!! :D
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Mugger »

I do wonder if Mugger would still be trying to get up the hill with his trolley if assistance had not been at hand!!  :D

Image Duly noted Simon. Image
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Re: Rockells Farm 18th September 2011

Unread post by Mugger »

It's Rockells Farm that is the venue for the latest Marsh AC match today. It normally throws up some phenomenal weights so hopes will be high for a good days fishing today among the club members Image. I'd arranged to meet at Dave's house and follow him to the venue, so with the cats fed and the car loaded I made my way over there arriving around 6·45am. Chris was strolling down the road, he was tagging along today as a spectator, his broken arm preventing him from fishing. Dave appeared and we were off and we made good time arriving at Rockells around 8am Image.

A few of the lads set off to peg out as the pegs aren't numbered and I soon had the kit loaded on the trolley, and that's where it all started to go pear shaped. There's a bit of a slope up from the car park to the lake, and halfway up the slope I felt a searing pain in my left calf that brought me to a halt! A couple of the lads came to my aid, but I was left hobbling around and feeling pretty uncomfortable, not the best of starts to my day Image.

Anyway Peg 13 came my way in the draw, a number that seems to follow me, and I hobbled off with my kit to set up for the day ahead. John had Peg 10 with Jim for company on Peg 11, while Peg 12 was empty. I arrived to find that I had Simon for company on Peg 14 today, Terry was through the gap on Peg 15 ( where Dave had 344lbs last year) Vic was on 16 with Clive on Peg 17 (my peg last year).

I have to say that my initial impression was that the swim looked spot on with an overhanging willow to the right and another to the left Image, but with my box set up I got a bit of a shock as I put my nets in, finding that the water barely covered them, and a closer look confirmed that the water level was at least a foot down, if not a bit more on the normal level when I've fished there previously Image! It's not deep at the best of times and as I sorted out the rigs for the day ahead it became apparent just how little water I had in front of me.

I ended up with 3 rigs, all pretty much identical, being 0.2 NG Edger's on 0·20 Ultima Power Match finished off with size 16 Guru MWG's,  plus a 0·2 NG Margin paste on  0·20 Ultima Power Match finished off with size 12 Guru MWG that was set up on my margin pole, these were set between 6 and 18 inches deep as that was all the depth I could find regardless of where I plumbed up. Bait today was 8mm pellet and paste with 6mm pellet for feed. but I also had some 6mm floating pellet as these have proved deadly in the past for sorting out the better fish Image.

On previous visits I've caught well on a top 2 tight in to the margins, but that line was dry today, so I would be looking to fish a line at the end of my nets and across to the overhanging trees. With a bit of time before the off I had a hobble along to see how the others were. Pretty much in the same boat, but someone had been doing some gardening removing a lot of cover, most notably in Clive's swim where an overhanging bush had completely vanished and he was struggling to find any depth of water Image. Vic's platform was way off the water, but at least he'd managed to get set up in front of it at water level, but again all the bank side vegetation had been cut back. Thankfully Kevin had brought a cup of coffee round and I sat down to drink that as I contemplated the two 3 hour sessions ahead Image.

So at 10am Dave called the All-In and a handful of pellet to the end of my nets and to the edge of both trees was followed by a banded 8mm to the end of my nets, and I also flicked out a few floaters to the edge of the right hand willow. The float soon slid away and a scrappy little Mirror of no more than 8ozs got me off the mark. Simon was off the mark as well and I soon had another couple of similar sized fish to keep the first one company Image. Now Rockells isn't really about finesse normally, it's a question of keeping the feed going in and catching quick, but it was noticeable that with so little water, playing fish was making the rest back off, so I was alternating between the end of my nets and across to the willow, while feeding every put in to hold the fish. The floaters weren't drifting out of the swim, but nothing was touching them either Image.

Across on the other side I could see Keith who seemed to be picking up a few fish down his margin line ......

While Dave on the next peg looked like he'd set out his stall to fish his usual floater tactics that work well for him here Image ......

After about an hour I had about 12 fish, not enough by the usual standards so gave the paste rig a try, this is normally a banker for me here as it tends to produce a slightly better stamp of fish, but it wasn't having the desired effect today as I was having to wait to long between bites and the fish that it did produce were of a similar size to the pellet fish so after 30 minutes that was up the bank Image. Despite keeping a few floaters going in nothing had shown for them so I just had to keep picking off odd fish here and there and at the end of 3 hours when Dave called the All-Out for a half time Weigh-In I had around 35 fish, the biggest of which might have gone 2lbs if I was lucky.

With a set of scales on each side of the lake we soon had it underway. John had 51¼lbs and Jim 29lbs. I weighed 41lbs and Simon 46½lbs. Terry had 25¼lbs while Vic managed 40lbs and Clive could only muster 19¼lbs. Not the greatest weights and we could tell by the pace of the weigh-in across the lake that there had been some better weights over there.  Martin appeared with another coffee from Jean Image and the news that Dave and Al had both had 80lbs +.

At 2pm Dave called the All-In for the second half and it was just a question of carrying on with my approach and hope that some better fish would put in an appearance, and I kept flicking out a few floaters hoping they would do the job, but the only thing they seemed to attract were 3 geese Image ......

The small fish were still there, but were once again coming in fits and starts and at around a pound a time weren't really large enough to build any sort of weight. I could see Dave across the lake was still taking fish at a steady rate and they appeared to be of a better stamp than the ones I was getting ......

Another look with the paste proved to be nothing but a waste of time, still yielding little fish, but at a slower rate than fishing pellet. The strange part was that Simon was catching on floaters in the next swim, whereas they were doing nothing for me. Meanwhile John down on Peg 10 was having a cracking session and steadily building a decent weight Image, as was Vic on Peg 16 who was finally finding some better fish on paste Image ......

I just plugged away amid rain showers to the end, and while I'd caught more in the 2nd session when Dave called the All-Out at 5pm I didn't expect my 55 fish to weigh more than 60lbs Image. Thankfully the showers had stopped as we packed away, and with a set of scales at Clive's peg we decided to get our part of the Weigh-In over and done with.

Poor Clive's day hadn't got any better with a meagre 16lbs to show for his efforts Image. Vic's second half had been a definite improvement with 100¾lbs Image. Terry had 41¼lbs and Simon once again beat me with 71½lbs to my 65¼lbs. Jim had added 38¼lbs to his morning total, but John had the best weight on our bank with a fine 128½lbs Image.

So with our gear returned to the car park we all assembled as Dave worked out the results and monies. Winner on the day was Mr Chairman Dave with a total of 196¾lbs Image closely followed by Al on 193¼lbs Image while John's total of 180¼lbs gave him 3rd on the day Image just ahead of Keith's 176lbs. Six more 'Ton+' totals followed including my own 106¼lbs so while it would be harsh to say that it had been anything other than a good days fishing Image, however such is the level of catches that Rockells can produce that it's safe to say that there were a few disappointed anglers that made their way home after the match.

Anyway the final club match of the season lies ahead at Hartleylands Farm on October 15th when we'll be fishing The Reservoir.
SiDev
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by SiDev »

Great read as ever Peter :D .....you can laugh at me Saturday as I've found a space on the Jinx match but have pulled my hamstring...I expect zero sympathy :-[
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Dave,
You're going to give TK palpiations, coming out with a statement like that. >:(

He'll be expecting a  Image then he'll see the weights.  :o

Still a good days fishing by anyones standards, unless your name is Clive of course. Image Image Image

Too true - Mugger. Catching up with posts after my jollies I read DaveC's opening line and thought to myself 'this should be interesting, the Marsh guys on a grueller'

Then I glanced down at the weights Image
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Mugger »

LOL Tony :), there's another report about Hartleylands tucked away in the Club Banter section and I'll be doing a report on todays trip to Alders Farm soon. ;)