If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Fact finding trip to Hartleylands Reservoir

Marsh Club Banter.

Moderator: Spamwham

Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Happily retired.
Match Team/ Club: Maggotdrowning.com
Sponsor: Taxpayers.

Unread post by Mugger »

As some of you are aware Dave and I along with Terry, Simon and his friend Gino suffered an arduous trip to Hartleylands Reservoir today, to check it out for the up coming match.

I'll put a report up sometime tomorrow if I can think of anything to write about. In the meantime some of the other sufferers may want to share their thoughts on the venue. ;)
:cheerleader :cheerleader Watch out, watch out, there's a Mugger about :cheerleader :cheerleader
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Unread post by Simple »

Did you have a sunny nightmare  Image
Very hot today  Image
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Mugger »

Think you better ask Dave that question Simps. Image
:cheerleader :cheerleader Watch out, watch out, there's a Mugger about :cheerleader :cheerleader
Tel
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Tel »

All I'll say at present is that Muggers arms must be very tired Image
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

Unread post by Dave C »

Well for Hartleylands that was a hard day with the fish in a very uncooperative mood. Image Image In fact I am considering moving the match to somewhere likely to provide some decent weights.
SiDev
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by SiDev »

All I can say is that I'm glad that my best margin faced away from mugger......considered turning off my hearing aids to avoid hearing the constant splashes!!.....it was a hard day but then again I did a fair bit of experimentation with the pellet waggler and discovered what I already knew...I'm useless at it bar a carp and some bream it didn't really 'have it'....patchy for me on the normal pole lines but some words of wisdom from Mugger about laying the bait on the shelf produced a fab last two and half hours in the margins...shame that was all after the whistle would have blown in the match!!....but hey....got a tan, great banter...and a welcome masterclass in paste fishing from Dave :D :D
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Re: Fact finding trip to Hartleylands Reservoir

Unread post by Mugger »

It's off down to Hartleylands Farm just outside the village of Cranbrook in Kent today. I'm meeting Dave, Terry, Simon and Gino for a days fishing on the reservoir. Our club Marsh AC have a match there in a couple of weeks time, and as none of us have fished the reservoir for quite a time it seems like a good idea to have a session before the match to try and suss out what works and what doesn't Image.

No point in an early start today as I'd arranged to meet the lads at 9·30am at the fishery, and that was when I arrived to find Terry, Simon and Gino there already and just about to set off to pick their swims Image. A quick discussion ensued and with a few anglers already ensconced in pegs we decided to fish what I refer to as the 'Finches Bank' as it runs parallel to Finches Pond. The lads set off to bag their pegs while I unloaded my kit, and with my trolley loaded  set off to claim a peg. It was promising to be scorcher of a day, not a cloud in the sky and the first peg I came to was 24 between two overhanging trees and pleasantly shaded, but I felt that Dave would probably like that one (once he finally got there Image) so left that one. Next up was Gino on 23 with Simon on 22. Terry had gone further round to Peg 18 as he'd always fancied fishing that one, so I settled on peg 20 to leave Simon a bit of space Image ......

With the sun climbing higher and barely a breathe of wind, the water looked like glass. It definitely was going to be a warm one today Image. First things first, so the kit was unloaded and as it wasn't a match I fed a couple of good handfuls of pellet down the left hand margin straight away Image, then started to set my kit up. One of the things I noticed was that hardly anything was showing on the surface, which I felt was a little strange given the conditions. I knew that Simon was going to try the pellet wag, so left mine in it's ready sleeve, It wouldn't take long to set up if I decided to give it a go later. Instead I decided to just fish 2 lines, the first at 2 sections and a top 2 straight out where I had around 5 feet of water and the second down the left hand margin.. Rigs were a 4x12 CX pencil on 0·20 Ultima Power Match finishing with a size 14 Guru MWG and a 0.2 NG Edger on 0·20 Ultima Power Match finished off with a size 14 Guru MWG for the margin line. Bait today was simply 6mm pellet for feed and plenty of it with 8mm pellet for the hook ......

By now Dave had arrived and strolled up to see where we all were, and as I expected he did indeed decide to settle into Peg 24 Image. It was around 10·30am by now so time to get started. I could see that fish were already in the margins over the bait I'd fed, but I was going to ignore them for now and just keep some bait going in and take a look there later in the day. At the start I fed 2 good handfuls of pellet straight out and another down the margin before shipping out a banded 8mm straight out. A couple of lift and drops of the rig and the float sailed away and it was immediately apparent that I was attached to one of the reservoirs hard fighting carp Image. They give a good account of themselves and make full use of the deep water there, but I soon gained the upper hand and had it sliding over the landing net, a nice chunky Mirror, longer than the width of my 22 inch net and around the 10lbs mark Image ......

With us not using keepnets today I decided to use my clicker to keep track of what I had today and it soon started to tick over as I started to pick up regular fish. I was feeding a good handful of pellet every put in as well as keeping some bait going into the margins and was soon picking up a mix of Mirrors and Commons on a regular basis, the average size of which seemed to be around the 4-5 lbs mark with the odd better fish Image.

Around 11·30am Dave called out that the kettle had boiled, so I strolled round for a cup of coffee Image, to find that Dave was playing what turned out to be his first carp of the day ......

Simon's mate Gino was also into a fish, he's quite new to fishing and was taking it easy as the fish gave a good account of itself and refusing to get it's head up, but steady gentle pressure won the day and he was rewarded with a lovely ghostie Image ......

With refreshments taken care of it was time to get back to my peg. Unfortunately the pellet wag had failed to produce anything of note for Simon, just a couple of small carp and a skimmer Image, so he'd reverted to the pole as he'd seen me catching regularly. The fish were still there on my return and it was really just a question of keeping the feed going in to keep the bites coming, The margin was still coloured up as well, so I just kept the feed going in, but still left it for later Image. Over on Peg 18 however Terry was having a bit of a struggle and getting a few to many skimmers rather than the carp he'd been hoping for, though the odd carp was getting a look in ........

Dave had come up for a stroll, it seemed that the carp I'd seen him playing had been his only one Image!!!!! and all he was getting were roach, and although they were of a decent stamp around the 8-12oz mark, they weren't what he was really after Image. From where I was sitting I had a pretty good view of what was going on around the reservoir and there must have been around 20 anglers in total, however the majority appeared to be struggling with just the odd fish coming out and despite the heat there was still nothing showing on the top. My peg seemed to be the exception however and I can only put that down to the amount I was feeding Image. Whatever it was the fish kept coming and by 1pm I had 103lbs on my clicker. So with a 'Ton by One' I decided to take a break and go and put the kettle on for another cuppa Image.

By now Dave had opted to try paste in an effort to try to tempt another carp, but it's probably not a good idea to try and hit sharp paste bites when you've got an audience of yellow stream taking supportive mates watching your every move and they're ripping it out of you offering you their support Image. Dave gave it up and joined us for a coffee as we mulled over the mornings sport or lack of it in some cases.

With the inquest over we returned to our respective pegs. More feed onto both lines, but it seemed I'd left it a little to long as my line out in front seemed to be devoid of carp now, though there were plenty of skimmers that seemed only to happy to engulf an 8mm pellet Image. Time to target the margins. All morning I'd fed where the shelf dropped off and by laying the rig out so that the bait rested on the slope I had a bite straight away Image. Fishing against the slope the fish tend to dive off for the deeper water which limits any disturbance and once that initial run is contained they can be played out away from the swim. That first fish turned out to be a nice Mirror around the 7lb mark, and once again it was really just a case of steady away and taking fish on a regular basis Image ......

With the water well coloured up there was really very little chance of the fish vanishing on me as long as I kept the feed going in to hold them. Simon had taken another look on the pellet wag but that had proved to be fruitless. He'd had a couple of carp on the paste but had now decided to take a look at his right hand margin, but with an empty peg between us it wasn't producing nearly as well for him Image ......

As the afternoon wore on Terry finally managed to start picking up a few more carp among the skimmers that steadfastly refused to go away Image .......

Gino was still enjoying himself and managing to winkle out the odd carp here and there alternating between fishing the method and the pole ......

and Dave had finally managed to find a few carp from a swim that had frustrated him for a good part of the day, even though he was forced to fish a bit further out than he really wanted to Image ......

For me it was an easy afternoons fishing with just the odd foul hooker upsetting things and breaking the flow as fish came steadily to the net......

..... and by 4pm it was time for one last coffee as I had 201lbs showing on my clicker Image.  Simon had decided to concentrate on one margin spot and up his feed and it was finally starting to pay off for him as he started to take fish on a regular basis Image .......

My fish were still there and feeding well and just after 5pm I had my best fish of the day, a nice plump Mirror at around 14-15lbs that Simon kindly caught on camera for me Image ......

That was my final fish as the rig parted on the strike on my next bite, but with 265lbs showing on my clicker I was happy enough to leave it at that Image, and I packed my gear away. Terry , Simon and Gino were going to fish on for a bit and Dave managed a final carp before he to decided to call it a day .......

So what did we learn today? If the fish are there it's possible to do a really decent weight, It's possible to struggle in some pegs, even if it holds some obvious feature to fish to, and don't ignore the margins Image. Thanks to Dave, Terry, Simon and Gino for their company today, let's hope it's a decent day for the match on the 15th, but I somehow feel it may just be a little bit different on the day Image.
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Dave C »

What did I learn from yesterday.

1) Take and use more pellet

2) Dont fish paste with Marsh AC members taking a tea break behind you.

3) Take and use more pellet

4) Fish into the sunny part of the swim

5) Take and use more pellet
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Unread post by Simple »

Dave I think you may need to take and feed more pellet Image
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Mugger »

Does this mean the tub on my sidetray wasn't big enough.. Image

Shhhhhhhhh........... don't tell Bill. Image Image Image
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Dave C »

It might just be big enough but only if you fill it right up next time. Image Two thirds of a tub is definately not enough. Image
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Mugger »

It's OK Dave, I had another 9 pints in the car just in case. Image
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Dave C »

I wasnt exactly stingy with the bait as I used 5 pints of 4mm 2 pints of hemp and 2 pints of 6mm. Like you I had another 2 gallon in my reserve supplies in the car. Image Image
Spamwham
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Spamwham »

Nice write-up Peter - sounds like a day of mixed fortunes for the lads. Seems you gave them a right old tonking :D The Res has always produced variable results peg to peg in our past matches there - maybe the fish are more prone to shoaling up there a bit? I well remember getting hammered by Bill G off the next peg when he won the MDs Southern a few years ago - a fish a bung for him and nothing but hard graft for me!!

They key issue for our match is how much colder will it be by the time we get to fish it? If we're unlucky and its a lot colder I guess the margins might be harder work?
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by Mugger »

Spot on Tony,
A drop in temperature is almost inevitable, and if it's windy that will be a big factor.
The thing that I found really strange was the lack of fish showing on top on the day.
I don't expect it to fish like that come the 15th when we visit. ;)
john_holdsworth
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Unread post by john_holdsworth »

Well written Peter. look like it's going to be a tough day with the weather changing and getting colder. Image