If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

how do you step over a mine field

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

i've been asked to write a piece in the paper about the canal after a couple of weeks some of the general public have taken it up with the papers and published there own letters in the paper non of theses letters are carrying any truth just the public being put out with us being there
i understand that the canal is for everybody to enjoy and none of us anglers would dispute that, but i feel unless we stop these unprovoked attacks on our sport threw the media and speak out about the rights we have to be there no one will ever understand.one of the biggest problems are us the angler if we could all read from the same hymn sheet the better we would be for it
as you know i had a pole joint broke last weekend i never raised my voice and was diplomatic how i covered the action i told that i would move it and made sure he agreed to that then swapped details i did phone the number straight away and it rang in his hand so i knew it was right. now this lad is paying for the section yes i've got the section at a discount price but shouldn't i try to help the lad. but i ask you this how many times have you heard of this and i'm sure its because i didn't loose my temper or like the bloke said to me next door I'd of punched his lights out THATS GREAT FOR OUR SPORT !!!
and this is what we need to stamp out of our culture we are a dying breed less and less young anglers coming into the sport why because we are selfish towards others
now i've got to get this bang on and i need to know the rights and wrongs
as i understand it at the moment boat users and anglers are the only two groups that pay towards the use of the canals ie licenses and rent so i presume have more rights and entitlement to be there
as for the towpath is it a public right of way or footpath for walkers,dog walkers,joggers and bikes.i know we will never stop these people doing it no-re do we want to stop them but they all need to know the facts and rights we have
one fact i do know if we fished the canal every week theses problems would be halved as the bikes and dog walkers would fined another root or just by pass the canal on a Sunday Image
i have asked for notice boards so we too can inform the public about our use of the canal Image Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

According to this Joffie there's no public right of way for cyclists - presume the same would apply to walkers Image

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/cycling/permit
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

so the code of conduct for cyclist shows that we are invisible,whether thats just the london area i'mnot sure about :-/ :-/
samsman

Unread post by samsman »

waterways code
Only cycle on stretches where it is permitted.
Check with the local waterway office or
www.waterscape.com.
Look after your waterways
n
Avoid cycling where your tyres would damage the
path or verges (eg when they are wet or soft)
Consider others
n
Give way to others on the towpath and warn them
of your approach. Pedestrians have priority. A polite
‘hello’ and ‘thank you’ mean a lot.
n
Watch out for anglers’ tackle and give them time
to move it before you try to pass
n
Dismount under low, narrow or blind bridges
n
Never race one another or perform speed trials
n
We recommend you obtain third party liability
insurance and equip your bike with a bell or hooter
Take care
n
Access paths can be steep and slippery. Join and
leave the towpath with care.
n
You must get off and push your cycle beneath low
or blind bridges, and where the path is very narrow
n
We strongly advise against cycling the towpath after
dark, but if you have to, use front and rear lights
n
Thorny hedge trimmings can cause a puncture.
We recommend plastic-reinforced tyres or
puncture sealant
samsman

Unread post by samsman »

is this the same public that take their dogs for a walk...sorry sh!t... and don't clean up after them!! >:(this is something that bothers me a lot as i'm the owner of three dogs myself who always cleans up after them. i regulary have to remove dog sh!t from my peg as i'm sure most of you do. >:( >:( >:(
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by Dodge »

All mountain bikers are pricks ! Image Image
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

Unread post by Dave C »

You have confused me now Dodge. Surely there arent any canals on mountains so mountain bikers cant be a problem?. Image Image
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by bill yards »

All mountain bikers are pricks !

Steady on a bit Dodge, don't take that Rooney goal too much to heart.

How do think I used to peg all the matches in our area????

Yes, on me crappity smack mountain bike Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Unread post by Dodge »

I mean all them mountain bikers who think they are so crappity smackin macho that they dont have to stop for anyone or anything !

Great when you tell em to crappity smack off , they nearly always sh!t em selves and speed up !    Image Image  Image  ;)
samsman

Unread post by samsman »

some mountainbikers are considerate especially the ones who grap hold of your pole and try and put it over their (thick) heads while your netting a fish >:(.....not been a problem for me on loughborough tho'....netting fish that is!!! Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

All mountain bikers are pricks !    Image Image

you see what i mean  Image Image Image Image Image

we stopped one yesterday flying up the towpath ringing his bell move your poles so we stopped him he was a bit snooty for a start but after that he was fine we never heard the bell again
samsman

Unread post by samsman »

on a more serious note joff i do think that a bit of diplomacy goes a long way, but it has to come from all parties. although it's a bit hard to stomach when we (anglers) are the ones who are being complained about by people who don't pay to be there and we do!! ::)
what have they been complaining about in general?
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

now i have seen the code of conduct for bikes i will have some posters done up Image dave normally the bikes are ok in the town its the country sections Image Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

on a more serious note joff i do think that a bit of diplomacy goes a long way, but it has to come from all parties. although it's a bit hard to stomach when we (anglers) are the ones who are being complained about by people who don't pay to be there and we do!! ::)
what have they been complaining about in general?
if you remember that bloke coming up to me at the top end of the h/plant hire 249 in the tweed jacket he's write a letter to the local paper asking why the police allow us to obstruct the towpath with our poles surely its a crime ::) ::)he then goes on and on about bait being left on the towpath parking without Jew care and attention and on and on and on Image Imageso i have to put a reply but i can see it being a mine field one wrong word and i'm going to get it Image Image
Bullah
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG

Unread post by Bullah »

I have to agree, there are good and bad on both sides, a few years back, I was cycling, sensibly, along the Essington and Wyrley ( looking for fishing spots as it happens) I came upon two blokes fishing, and after waiting a few minutes, asked if the one with his pole blocking the tow path whilst he smoked a f*g, would move it and let me past. I was told to crappity smack off back the other way, it was only when I explained, oh so politely, that Id happily take them both on ( and almost certainly win) that the pole was moved....... its five finger shufflers like that that give us all a bad name.... no doubt a smaller bloke, or kids, would have had to back down, and would then have considered all anglers to be bullies , or just general cunts  ImageImage
samsman

Unread post by samsman »

i might be wrong on this point but isn't it only an obstuction if it's permanent or fixed at that moment. that's why it's not a crime and can't be enforced by the police.
i don't think the majority of the public are against angling, just some of the anglers they come across who give them abuse just the same as anglers who get annoyed by getting abuse off the public who perhaps don't understand how frustrating it is to fish on the canal.as for leaving bait on the towpath it's something i do at times to feed the birds. is that bad? i don't have a problem with others who use the canal but show consideration plz Image
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

All mountain bikers are pricks !

Dodge,
Please call me Mr Prick from now on Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image 8-)
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

i might be wrong on this point but isn't it only an obstuction if it's permanent or fixed at that moment. that's why it's not a crime and can't be enforced by the police.
i don't think the majority of the public are against angling, just some of the anglers they come across who give them abuse just the same as anglers who get annoyed by getting abuse off the public who perhaps don't understand how frustrating it is to fish on the canal.as for leaving bait on the towpath it's something i do at times to feed the birds. is that bad? i don't have a problem with others who use the canal but show consideration plz  Image
i 'm sure if we can get teses notice boards up and have the right info on them the angler will be able to point out either one of the notice boards or tell him to check up off one of theses boards Image
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

I put 'Cycling Notices' up for the Div One National two full weeks before the event.
I renwed them ELEVEN times before the National as most were destryed; some were even burnt down.
Before some crappity smack says it; yes I went there on me crappity smack bike, too far to walk.

That is what you are up against though but there was no problems with cyclists in the Div One and the boats were brilliant to be honest.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

in hindsight bill as a organiser you just want it the competition to go as smooth as poss and thats why theses things get to us more than most
but thats after the draw where you are called all the names under the sun for pegging a sh!t peg Image Image Image Image