If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Match Question

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Match Question

Unread post by bill yards »

Do you think a match organiser should get some sort of 'cut' from the matches he runs?

Hopefully this is another interesting question and as I have set it it is only right you hear my opinion bearing in mind that I have stopped running matches.
I uderstand that a lot do it for their clubs, - I did and I am talking open matches and team events. I never took a penny from running matches and very often actually put money into them so my answer might suprise one or two.
With the amount of moaning and nastiness conveyed to some organisers, by a very small minority, today I honestly think that 50p out of the peg fee or the pools, per entry, is a small renumeration for his efforts.
I would not have said this twenty years ago but times and people do change. Image Image

What do we think ??

Match Question

Unread post by Guest »

I don't see why not, some of the matches i used to fish in, the weigher-ins got paid. Only a £1 and it was a long while ago, but they got something,
samsman

Match Question

Unread post by samsman »

i don't have a problem with that bill. in our matches the organisers get a 'free' match which some still begrudge Image. they are committed to turning up in all weathers and can't just say sod it. on the subject of moaning whinging and abuse maybe banning them for a short while might help to make them appreciate the job the organisers do Image
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Match Question

Unread post by Simple »

You thinking of going professional Bill Image :D
lloydy
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: Maver Midlands

Match Question

Unread post by lloydy »

Think organisers should have free match
Woodhouse
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: Maver Tipton VDE

Match Question

Unread post by Woodhouse »

I think it depends on what day ticket is taken, couple of quid then OK the organiser should have a free day but if you start talking £5-£7 a ticket then the owner should pay for the organisers ticket.
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: MaverBaitech
Sponsor: Maver / Baitech

Match Question

Unread post by CHOPWORM HERO »

Making phone calls, getting people book on or cancel at daft times, pegging out, HQ to sort out and maintain a good relationship with owner,organise scales, boards, maps, organise other parking area's, in some case's dealing with the Law, be responsible for collecting money, doing results, pay out, then listen to moans !!!!!!!! Yep 50 pence is taking the p**s !!!!!!!!! It takes special people to do this and I for one really do appreciate the work they do. Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Match Question

Unread post by joffmiester »

i'm Quorn AS match secretary so the money we make goes to the renting of the club water and believe me if we had a match every week i don't think we would cover the rent and insurance.its a nice thought to get payed for it but i remember not too long ago where a match organiser was taking a £1 a peg now thats great and very fare but on a 80 to 100 peg match that started to get people talking [the same people that would never organise a match as long as they had a hole in there wobbly cheeksthat its too much] but this sort of talk is about as damaging to the match organiser as the moans about the pegs he is in a no win situation
80 to 100 pegs are a rare thing now-er days but it happens around the semi final dates
hosting the semi final saved our bacon yet again this year
but there is a line to be drawn!! its very time consuming endless phone calls and paperwork not only before but after making sure it gets in the press ,this side of it should be rewarded

i would like to point out one thing at this point we checked all the book money from around the area and to be fare it surprised us in two ways
one was the amount of specimen boys taking up tickets
and two the lack of match anglers ever having a club book Quorn match group only had one season ticket holder Leicester had had 8 as did trentmen
ow your not telling me these lads don't practice on the river  ::) ::) ::)
this club is so under pressure yet these lads will be the first to moan if we loose the water
you might say why do i bother  :-/ :-/ :-/ 

now in the old days we used to run club matches where every angler had a club book
and often you would fish for club trophies and then once a month run a open match on your water open to anyone from outside the club this must of worked a lot better
perhaps i should run members only matches and have no peg fee's as long as they had a book ::) ::)
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Match Question

Very interesting Joff !
Paul_Murrin
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

Match Question

Unread post by Paul_Murrin »

This is like being stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea........ Image because the minute you start recieving a payment from each and every angler fishing a match, you the organiser are providing a service and once this service brakes down then the book stops with you............ Image Image So the [highlight]MOANS [/highlight] will come thick and fast if somethings wrong Image
   yes match organisers should get payed for providing the service of running the match,
      the people who do moan are the ones that need educating cause they dont really know whats envolved, so when it happens and its a fellow angler and hes standing right by you moaning about this and that , when the poor organiser aint recived diddly squatt for sorting them somewhere to fish then give it em both barrels of whats envolved and for free.  [highlight]BUT [/highlight] when the match organiser gets it wrong when he as recived a payment for this service he must be thorough in all he does, and on big important matchs this may be to mutch for one man then a small team is better to share the load , but the key word is [highlight]COMMUNICATION[/highlight] with each and all,
  With the thoughts, what if this happens, what if that happens etc
esspecially on big important matchs .
  When summat goes wrong and believe me it can  :-[ :-[ Then as long as we [highlight]ALL[/highlight] can learn from the mistakes the better for future matchs that will be run..............
    :-/ :-/ YES WHO WOULD BE A MATCH ORGANISER, Well let me tell you it takes a speciall person to do these jobs someone who will think first before making decisions, be a little bit thick skinned, but most off all helpfull.
and i have to say most i have met are exactly that,
come on these guys dont mean to throw a spanner in the works they are usually the guys that love to go fihing as well,. Image Image and they are doing it for you ,you and you,
so if we as anglers have to pay for a service from the match oganiser , Think on ........... like i said at the very begining its like being between the devil and the deep blue sea............ Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

Match Question

a very good statement murffin

this email arrived this morning i wasn't even running the match

QUORN ANGLING
as i walked my dog yesterday i couldn't believe my eyes as parts of the river began to over flow with rapped force and as i walked further towards barrow i could see anglers fishing !! WHAT PART DO YOU AND YOUR CLUB NOT UNDERSTAND ABOUT THE DANGERS OF A FLOODING RIVER !!I asked one of the anglers if he realized the danger of rising flood water, and didn't he think or realize that he would be putting other life's in danger if he had been swept away. his reply was "its a competition we can't move "i just could NOT believe the mentality of you and your club for allowing such a event to take place.on my return home i looked up your club and found this contact number for the match sectary,i spoke to your mother who thankfully she understood my concerns and was herself  surprised you allowed the competition to take place.i feel to all intents and papacies this should of been stopped and all anglers should of been made aware of the grave danger's you could of put everyone in,it would of only taken a second or two for someone to of slipped in.you probably think this is taking it too far and over the top ,but in my profession risk and safety nothing is left to chance and would strongly advise you and your club to make sure of any miss doings are covered in every way,as yesterday you had no care or attention towards others ,and i for one would of taken you and your club to the cleaners if anything had gone wrong so help me god it didn't !!i'm sure for your own benefit that you will consider the implications that could of arisen,and take the utmost care in the basic risk and safety of all your competitors

who would of taken the brunt of this if there had been a accident !!!!

only one person in my eye's  :-[ :-[ :-[
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Match Question

Unread post by Dodge »

I just turn up draw sh!t and go home ...... bit long winded this thread ! ::)

Image Image
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Match Question

So it's ok to take your dog down to the flooded river with no doubt the lead off, pm me his/hers email and I will respond Joff, no probs.
marko sbc
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: sensas black country
Sponsor: sensas/fosters

Match Question

Unread post by marko sbc »

i am a match organiser myself and i agree with a lot of what bill says but i never take a penny out for myself. i make it transparent where and what the entrance fee goes on. i try to make the payouts as fair as possible and keep the costs down to a bare minimum in these tough times. BUT, you will always get the moaners and they moan about some of the most uncontrollable things which makes me angry at times, i try to make the day as pleasurable as can be but us organisers can't control the weather or make the fish feed!!!!!(i wish i could ) . if anglers realised that we as organisers have a fair bit to contend with and some of the time it does affect our own enjoyment of fishing as well. if we get things wrong from time to time, cut us some slack, we don't do it on purpose do we? i will never take a cut from the matches i organise but i can see why bill feels that we should, i do it for our club and our lot do help out with all sorts of work which makes the matches run smoother and i thank them for that but you will always get the bloody moaners who know better , perhaps they should try running an event themselves, maybe they would get an idea of the crap we put up with Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

Match Question

bill and i will tell you most of the good anglers are the biggest moaners why !well its a case of win at all cost most think they have the right to win every time they enter a match gone have the days where you go to enjoy fishing and have a good banter
back in the old days if you hadn't caught you'd get off your box and sit behind someone how was catching and he would tell you everything to encourage you. i have had once or twice good anglers sitting behind me again encouraging me even the smallest detail was taken in and often helped
where do you see this happening now in any matches commercials you dare not speak let a lone walk around,the one thing you will hear is moaning
all theses misdemeanors are effecting match fishing more and more
all you can do is blank out the negatives and look to the positives mate Image
marko sbc
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: sensas black country
Sponsor: sensas/fosters

Match Question

Unread post by marko sbc »

paul turner bans bank walking on his matches joff but i don't.....why? well i have some younger lads fish my matches and if they ain't catching my advice is always watch someone who is and learn some Image my lad fishes our opens now and has recieved help from a number of very good anglers who have been only too willing to give advice and tips to him. my own feeling is that if you aren't catching go and watch someone who is and learn ;).you can't do that if you ain't allowed to walk can ya? in my opinion, if the youth is respectful and quiet and keeps low down on the bank i see no reason why any of us could not pass on some useful tips and hints, the way we were given that same help years ago. like you say joff, it's mainly the top anglers and the ones that think they are top anglers that moan the mosti have been given help over the years by some great anglers, not maybe well known, but in my eyes they were great because they took the time to help a confused youngster to catch more fish. i hope i can give as much as they gave me all those years ago. it's a pity the win at all costs brigade don't see the damage they are doing to our sport....if we don't encourage the youth of today our sport will die with us i reckon and that will be a very sad day for all anglers :(
two shakes
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament
Match Team/ Club: Cornerstone

Match Question

Unread post by two shakes »

The anglers who come to sit behind me usually just take the yellow stream out of me and steal my coffee Image Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Match Question

Unread post by TK »

Some interesting posts offf you over the last couple of days marko mbc Image

Begs the question why we dont hear more of your thoughts and opinions from you on here ;) Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Match Question

Unread post by TK »

The anglers who come to sit behind me usually just take the yellow stream out of me   Image  Image

I dont take any coffee Two Shakes, but know the feeling :D
Gorrell80

Match Question

Unread post by Gorrell80 »

Not often I post but Marko thats spot on!

If we all collectively took more time to encourage and support young match anglers then more would stay within this brilliant sport!

Clubs like Warrington do this very well indeed and quite rightly other clubs will come in and try and improve their squads by asking anglers to join them. However this happens in lots of sports as most people by their very nature want to improve themselves.

Back to the topic title, organisers should be entitled to some form of reward for their efforts! Since fishing the canal scene in the midlands I have witnessed some superbly run matches! TK, Paul Turner, Mr Woodhouse, Preecy, all great lads who do this thankless task and run bloody good matches!

As for this happening on a commercial well thats a different situation methinks!
:)