If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

The Gozzer

For TK's trip down Memory Lane.

Moderator: TK

Waveney_One

The Gozzer

Unread post by Waveney_One »

&quot :D ead pigeons and milk, best gozzers ever, there yer go, your starter for ten"

You may well have cracked it there Bill. If the dye won't take in milk, and it probably will as it is oily, I bet it will in single cream and what I have left over I can use on the strawberries. The cream that is not the dye!
craftytafty
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

The Gozzer

Unread post by craftytafty »

would you do them nower days

If necessary yeah. Plenty of pigeons in our back garden :D :D
two shakes
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament
Match Team/ Club: Cornerstone

The Gozzer

Unread post by two shakes »

Well done Choppy and Bill,your on the right scent trail now.Part 2 of the article shall be on soon. Image
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

The Gozzer

Unread post by bill yards »

Vic Bull, I remember him, is he still about?

Drew by him on some shallows on the Derwent.

He was standing well out in the river and wanted a piddle. He fetched somat out and committed that act. I swear blind the flow stopped for a while Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
two shakes
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament
Match Team/ Club: Cornerstone

The Gozzer

Unread post by two shakes »

Well Gents,the wait is finally over (had an issue with some rechargeable batteries that wouldn't recharge).
Feast your eyes on the answers.

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Gozzer

Unread post by TK »

W L

Well at least his picture was there Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

The Gozzer

Unread post by joffmiester »

Image ImageDAVE DOWNES he still drinks in the woodies  Image Imagehe still tells the old jokes  Image Image
trypewriter
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

The Gozzer

Unread post by trypewriter »

I've still got some annatto. It keeps for years and you only need a small amount just to give the gozzers a tinge of colour. More years ago than I care to remember I tried mixing it with some Rhodamine (pink) dye and the resulting gozzers came out a very interesting peach colour. I suppose they might have been forerunners of fluoro maggots. They were brilliant fish catchers, especially on the Kentish Rother. With the sour brans getting the first batch was always the hardest. They key, after that was to let quite a few turn to casters, then hatch into flies so that there were always a few in the vicinity. Breeding them was no problem then, but I never found them to be great fish catchers. One great tip from the past - from Ivan, was to take a slice of white bread, soak it in milk, then put in on top of your squatts. The next morning all but the crust would be gone, and your squatts would be a lot more plump. Another tip of his was to get a handful of that green 'cott' weed that you get on a lot of fen rivers (Nene, Welland etc.) and put it in your worm box. On hot days it kept them alive, and it also kept them in good nick for several days after.
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

The Gozzer

Still do the bread trick with squatts.
It certainly fattens them up. I found it only works on fresh squatts though.

If they are really fresh they will chomp through several slices. Image
Waveney_One

The Gozzer

Unread post by Waveney_One »

I've still got some annatto. It keeps for years and you only need a small amount just to give the gozzers a tinge of colour. More years ago than I care to remember I tried mixing it with some Rhodamine (pink) dye and the resulting gozzers came out a very interesting peach colour.

Interesting stuff that, I haven't tried to get any annatto yet but have found out where to buy it via the web.
trypewriter
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

The Gozzer

You need to mix a bit with warm water to make a runny paste, then spoon it onto the feed once the maggots start really feeding but while they are still very small. It helps if you mix a good tablespoon of sugar in with it.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Gozzer

Unread post by TK »

Still do the bread trick with squatts.
It certainly fattens them up. I found it only works on fresh squatts though.

If they are really fresh they will chomp through several slices. Image

Me too Bill and Trypewriter Image i also sprinkle a teaspoon of suger on the wet slice Image
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

The Gozzer

I can remember chopsing to some Belgians at the World Club Champs in 1987. They reckoned the best way to keep bloodworm fresh and it A! condition was to keep it in spagnum moss. The moss needed to be washed in cold water thoroughly and the bloodworm stayed fresh. Ther Belgians, had a very good team at this time and kept it in shallow tins. Image Image Image Image
trypewriter
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

The Gozzer

That's reminded me of a good trivia question.
What was the French 'secret weapon' bait in the 2001 World Championships on the River Seine?

It's something I've NEVER heard of being used over here, or anywhere else for that matter, and it is usually banned over there!
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

The Gozzer

Baits on the Seine.

I might be thinking of somewhere else but was it these tiny worms that came out of horses guts.

i remember Kevin having a small sack of these over in Ireland. An Irish angler (well known) ask him if he could have a look so Kevin showed him. He asked Kevin where he had them from and Kevin replied, "Can you keep a secret", the Irish angler said, "Of couse I can" so Kevin replied in time honoured fashion, "So can crappity smack I". It were dead funny if you saw it.

On second thoughts though I think that was somewhere else. Wasn't it a sea bait or a sea fish or something like that on the inSeine? Image Image
trypewriter
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

The Gozzer

You're right Bill - horse worms! They looked more like maggots but were translucent red like bloodworms.
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

The Gozzer

Weren't they a bit like wireworms?
trypewriter
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

The Gozzer

Not the ones I saw Bill, course, there's all sorts of parasites. BTW do you remember those giant 'gozzers' that Robin Tooth bred? I think they were actually beetle larva.
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

The Gozzer

They were definitely from sort sort of beetle; bit like a small wasp grub. If you put one on a hook they shrivelled up,; I think they were full of water Image
trypewriter
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

The Gozzer

I remember Toothy catching a tench on one on one of your favourite cuts Bill, can't remember the stretch now though. Used to have a lot of crucians and rudd in it, as well as tench. I had my usual delightful day. I'd been flirting casters across to the far side, gently building the swim amongst the brambles. Then a boat moored up against them and 'mam and the kids' started picking blackberries! Image