If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Baileys Meadow.

Upcoming Match Information and Venue Advice Here.
Conna
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Baileys Meadow.

Unread post by Conna »

12lbs 6oz Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Baileys Meadow.

Unread post by TK »

Sorry to put a dampner on things - but lots of rain forecast this week. :'( :'( :'( I'd be happy with double figures on Broadholme (bass Isalnd) on Sat, but think you might need less. I'll go for 7lb 3 oz off Baileys
Conna
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Baileys Meadow.

Unread post by Conna »

I rarely listen to the forecast these days TK, the times I have not bothered to go fishing due to bad weather and when the day arrives it's been gorgeous. I have found that Broadholme fishes a little better with a slight increase in the water level but only about 6". Last time I was there we struggled but the river was coming up and rose about 2" while we were there and you rarely catch on a rising river. 8lbs won it and I had 6lbs for 3rd. The peg that won it was peg 1 below the bridge which is a cracking peg in my opinion. I drew peg 26 just above the weir.

What do you think the best pegs are at Broadholme?
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Baileys Meadow.

Unread post by TK »

Not so much rain today as originally forecast..........so can I review my guestimate? Now 9lb 2oz   :D

Mind this is based on our club expectations so if I factor in an algorithm relating to the fact that Yale anglers are much better than us (we're cr*p) probably 17lb 6oz   :D

( ps How many guesses am I allowed this week?)
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Baileys Meadow.

Unread post by Simple »

( ps How many guesses am I allowed this week?)

As many as you like :)
Need to remember my camera and get more pics of Conna :P
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Baileys Meadow.

Unread post by TK »

I'll have to remember to take mine just in case I draw below the bridge on Sat (odds 250/1) to record such a momentous occasion :D
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Baileys Meadow.

Unread post by TK »

What do you think the best pegs are at Broadholme?

I generally agree with your observations relating to conditions and how the Trent responds. Similarly low and clear conditions can be a real struggle. Re the best pegs dependent on season/conditions. Your peg 26 not too bad if conditions ok, but generally prefer as you'll see from the last posting, down below the bridge at this time of the year - but never ever drawn there (more options). Last year I didn't peg out and ended right on the point at the top of the island. Felt like I was on the bridge of the titanic. Could send my stick left or right (daint make any difference!!!) 5-6 ft right on my feet, a scoured bank with no vegitation/weed growth to attack. Weedled a few gudgeon out down the RHS (bit of weed 15 yards down the peg - water was gin). caught a few more bits and pieces chucking to the far RHB to some pads bit it was shallow across there.  In fact our pegger out didn't put one peg in below the bridge so I'll make sure I peg out this year
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Baileys Meadow.

Unread post by Simple »

1st and 2nd came from those pegs in our match. Rightly so too, they look lovely :)
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Baileys Meadow.

Unread post by TK »

Our posts may have crossed Si - did you mean below the bridge or my Titanic area? :D :D :D
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Baileys Meadow.

Unread post by Simple »

hehe, I meant below the bridge Mr Stealth ;)
Conna
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Baileys Meadow.

Unread post by Conna »

I drew the peg just left of the point last year and the river was bombing through, it looked the worst peg on the whole of the match length to be honest. I tried the stick which was no good at all, the feeder kept being pulled round by weed on the line, the Waggler was out of the question due to the bow that kept forming in the line because the far side of the river was quite still and from the middle towards me was pushing through very fast. I thought I was going to have a really bad day. I stood there scratching my head for 5 mins and decided to set the Topper up which was the only option to get to the far side where the steady flow was. It was hard work holding the rod high in the air to keep the line off the flow but I started getting bites and Roach started to fill the net. I won the match with 10lbs of Roach and apart from a few tangles which were unavoidable with the way I was having to fish I really enjoyed it. 8lbs was second that day caught by dry net George from in front of the boat house.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Baileys Meadow.

Unread post by TK »

I can well imagine, having fished the point, which bombs at you.....
Anyway well done for reading the river and applying some tactical nuance which paid off.   Image I might have been able to read it, but aint got no Toppers, large avons or indeed any heavy sticks, (floats that I'd collected since the early 70s when I only used to fish the rivers,) since I had the lot pinched. So Id have had to react differently......paternoster a bomb on a pole rig and stret peg to anchor in the flow???
Generally only fish the rivers a few times a year nowadays (mind got two river matches this weekend, the Trent and the Anker on Sunday) so never really replaced those floats and to be honest don't see any 'good' river floats in the shops - it's all carpy pole floats. Was even getting difficult to pick up my favoured cut floats from local tackle shops so started mail ordering with Gerry's to get the range of sizes and colours I wanted.
Conna
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Baileys Meadow.

Unread post by Conna »

paternoster a bomb on a pole rig and stret peg to anchor in the flow???

All sounds a bit complicated and hard work to me TK, I think I'll stick with the Topper lol.  My Toppers are the Drennan range, the clear plastic type, theyre not as good as the old Balsa and Peacock ones but they do the job.  Looks like I might need to fetch it out again unless this rain stops soon :(
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Baileys Meadow.

Unread post by TK »

In the past when I've been confronted with matches on rivers that are out of sorts I'd got a couple of rigs tied up - say 1 grm floats, but tied direct to 1/2 - 1oz bombs. Hook length say 2ft for example paternostered off about 8 inches up from the bomb. Plumb up (with the bomb, set float typically 6-12inches overdepth (depends on current force) and basically ledger under the pole tip, but watching the float. On the pole you've the added advantage that you can 'inch' the rig down your swim every few minutes if no bite to cover the line you are fishing, whereas if you fished the bomb/feeder you'ld have to cast in an out and wouldn't have the same accuracy.....
Can't say I've spotted the drennan range you refer to in the shops I use.
Might have to reguestimate the weights again :D
Conna
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Baileys Meadow.

Unread post by Conna »

I was shown a method some years ago when I used to fish for a match group that is very simple and so effective and is only really for a flooded river. It involves a big Lobworm and a big hook, size 8 + and all you do is cut the Lobworm in half and thread the worm around the bend of the hook and up the shank so that the point comes out by the head. Just chuck it out usually down the side with the lead and loosfeed worm cut in half ocasionally. I was told that when you get a bite you will have an initial rap on the rod, then get ready coz it will go right round. On a Drennan match I was faced with a flooded river and my only option was to try this method as it was a really bad peg and couldn't do anything else. I set the rig up chucked in and after about 10 mins I had a rap, I got ready as per instructions then about 20 secs later the rod went right round and it put me a nice 1.5lb chub in the net, another one followed later to win me my section. I haven't really had chance to try it since but it is a method that was working very well at the time on the Avon matches at Barford.

Thanks to Tom Hitchman for that info Image
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Baileys Meadow.

Unread post by Simple »

Am I gonna need my feeder rod or what :-?
Doubt it, bugger it. It can stay in the shed ::)
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Baileys Meadow.

Unread post by Simple »

Great... we have thunder and lightening here now. Hope it don't rain again tomorrow, got wet enough on the last river match :'(