If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

The Gozzer

For TK's trip down Memory Lane.

Moderator: TK

two shakes
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament
Match Team/ Club: Cornerstone

The Gozzer

Unread post by two shakes »

Been done to death,but this article gives the name of of somebody who made his name breeding and fishing the Gozzer.....................answers please ? 

Image[/img]
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

The Gozzer

Unread post by joffmiester »

i bet now one can be bothered to them now with pellets being so powerful :-/
Waveney_One

The Gozzer

Unread post by Waveney_One »

We do them for the bream and skimmers on the R. Yare. We don't use annatto though, but the bright pink dye that I forget the name of. I'll remember the name of the angler eventually as well.

Hope the dentist sorted the old tooth out mate!
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Gozzer

Unread post by TK »

Probably way off the mark Two Shakes, but I'd have gone for either of the two 'obvious' names - B A or W L :-/
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Gozzer

Unread post by TK »

bright pink dye that I forget the name of.

Annatto ?
Waveney_One

The Gozzer

Yellow dye used for colouring butter. Probably got the wrong name and spelling - altzeimers kicking in I reckon :(
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

The Gozzer

Ivan and a bloke called dave hutchingson [a butcher] did them for years for leicester AS also the sour brans that looked like squatts but moved backwards :D :D
Waveney_One

The Gozzer

I have loads ( a bucketful) of the oily red dye as well which I have tried to get the meat to take and the maggots to eat but I just get some really wishy washy red colour and for the Yare you want the deepest colour you can get. Maybe I ought to buy some annatto and use that. It used to be advertised as 'a roll of annatto' in the Angling times years ago.

If anyone knows how to get the red dye to take I would love to know. &quot :D ouble dying" has been whispered to me in the past and not to bother trying to mix it with water as it needs to be mixed with oil. I am not trying it with diesel or my heating oil before anyone suggests it!
Waveney_One

The Gozzer

I have done those sour brans in the past as well but getting the timing right was impossible as it took so long to get a blow and I wasn't very impressed with the maggots either to be honest.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Gozzer

Unread post by TK »

Yellow dye used for colouring butter.  Probably got the wrong name and spelling - altzeimers kicking in I reckon  :(

Think it's me that's got that affliction Waveney One - I misread your original post :-[

Meant to ask Rhodamine?
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

The Gozzer

Unread post by bill yards »

We use to buy proper gozzers directly from a chap named Billy Lane, they were superb.
Very good price too; they sold loads for the Witham, Welland, North Bank and co.

Anatto was available in rolls or by powder form in phialls. It was actually bright orange and you made it into a type of paste with boiling water then add it to the meat, it left the maggot a butter colour; in fact some tackle shops used to sell anatto maggots.
True it was (maybe still is) to colour butter. Hate to think what the proper colour of butter is! I think you had to send to a company near Wrexham for it, it was quite cheap.

The dye that was used for yellow maggots used to be called auramine. It was available from the chemists but I am not sure if you can buy it or if it is even allowed to be sold now.

I used to do all sorts of home bred maggots. Sour brans were quite easy but there were much better baits. Those gozzers were brill on the cuts in those days.

Some of the best pinkies I ever did came from ham. They were large for a pinkie but the colour was the thing, almost a proper pink.
Waveney_One

The Gozzer

Yep, Rhodamine, that is the pink stuff. Mixes easily with water and as a paste you can put it onto the meat where the young maggots are working and they will eat it.

Looking at the net it appears that it "shows fluorescence (appears yellow) but only the red is transmitted" when submitted to green light. That is interesting and maybe why the pink 'fluro' maggot is so effective. I don't have so much rhodamine left now but it doesn't take much to get some nice fluro homers.
Waveney_One

The Gozzer

Bill did you ever get the dark red dye to work properly. I'm stupid really as I sat next to Lol Higgins yesterday - thrashed him by a whole 2oz!!! - and as he breeds maggots for a living I could have asked him. However I got my dye from Simon at Ouse Valley Baits and he said you 'just chuck it in the pit, dry'. Might well work for commercial where you have loads of meat/fish but not effective for a heart or a pigeon.
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

The Gozzer

Waveney One.

Red Dye. I can remember having this very same conversation in my tackle shop where I worked for years. The outcome was exactly as you describe; there must be a way of doing it (through the meat/fish) feed but we couldn't work it out! Like you say guys like Lol Higgins would know, if you find out let me know, - just for interest. Image
Waveney_One

The Gozzer

I will Bill when I find out eventually. I expect that the problem will be that Lol does his the same way as Ouse Valley!
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: MaverBaitech
Sponsor: Maver / Baitech

The Gozzer

Unread post by CHOPWORM HERO »

Not sure about this but I do seem to recall a bloke who fished for Coventry doing a load years ago, can you remember Kingfisher ? (A. Dobley or something like that !) I do remember going somewhere with Tony and everybody poncing some off him !
craftytafty
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker

The Gozzer

Unread post by craftytafty »

We used to do our own gozzers years ago when we fished Attenborough, Willesly, Earlswood etc.

Vic Bull did the best I saw. took some doing to cadge some off him :'( :'(
bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

The Gozzer

Not sure about this but I do seem to recall a bloke who fished for Coventry doing a load years ago, can you remember Kingfisher ? (A. Dobley or something like that !) I do remember going somewhere with Tony and everybody poncing some off him !

Remember him CWH Alan Dolby; he may well have got them from Billy Lane as they fished in the same team. He might have got the recipe though and did them himself but Billy's gozzers were the bees knees.
Dead pigeons and milk, best gozzers ever, there yer go, your starter for ten Image Image Image Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

The Gozzer

dave ensors best mate i think he moved to ireland with dave years back
very quiet bloke unless you up set him Image Image
fished a match years ago in your neck of the woods choppy snarstone i think
he ran in some trouble with some local boys and he was the last man standing Image
i'm sure thats him
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
would probably be good

The Gozzer

[quote]We used to do our own gozzers years ago when we fished Attenborough, Willesly, Earlswood etc.

Vic Bull did the best I saw. took some doing to cadge some off him :'( :'(

would you do them nower days