If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

are the semi's working

Anything fishing here including Tackle and Bait.
Irkthepurists

are the semi's working

Unread post by Irkthepurists »

Muchno....

Dead unfair asseessment of the Wigan winter league...  dunno what you boys (Sensas) expected when you joined it for the first time but let put things in perspective...

This years winners (Sams Tackle) are a class act, 6th last year on a Div 1 national is the last entry on a
"Palmare" that goes back 20 yrs. Over tha last 3 yrs TCP, Sams and Standish have dominated the many series on the canal.... how many venues can boast having so many team events in a calendar yr for one thing?

They dominate the events because the are cracking canal anglers and can read the way the venue is going.... Nuff said....

So why is it a "comedy league" in your words?

Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

are the semi's working

Unread post by Dodge »

Dont encourage him Irk ....... Image Image ;)

To be fair Muckno has put a lot of time in on the last two Wigan w/leagues and won a few bob in the process ;)

Sams Tackle and Ted Carters Preston have the venue well worked out and will always be difficult to beat on there Image ;)
Muckno_Mafia

are the semi's working

Unread post by Muckno_Mafia »

Muchno....

Dead unfair asseessment of the Wigan winter league...  dunno what you boys (Sensas) expected when you joined it for the first time but let put things in perspective...

This years winners (Sams Tackle) are a class act, 6th last year on a Div 1 national is the last entry on a
"Palmare" that goes back 20 yrs. Over tha last 3 yrs TCP, Sams and Standish have dominated the many series on the canal.... how many venues can boast having so many team events in a calendar yr for one thing?

They dominate the events because the are cracking canal anglers and can read the way the venue is going.... Nuff said....

So why is it a "comedy league" in your words?

I'm not knocking what your lot, Sams or Standish have done over the years at all. Some of our lot might have thought they'd have an easy time up at Wigan but I know enough of the venues and anglers to know that's not the case.

My comment of "comedy league" is based on a couple of aspects though. Firstly although there's variation in some lengths, the Wigan circuit is effectively a collection of anglers who fish the same venue Saturday, Sunday and midweek. It almost has a commercial feel in the way that people don't seem to go anywhere else if you see what I mean. It reminds me of the North Yorkshire commercial circuit where the same 40+ fish 3-5 times a week in summer, turning up with rigs already on topkits and half used cans of cat meat ;-)

Secondly as much as I enjoy the rewards when you catch 3lb at Wigan, I got fed up last year of sections where there was no consistency between pegs. By that I mean I've seen someone catch 5lb of roach, with either side of them struggling for 10oz. The lads catching 5lb clearly know what they're doing, but at the same time those struggling either side are no mugs.

To me it just seems more a peg than technique venue. Don't take that as me suggesting the anglers there can't fish, just that from what I've seen up there over the last 5 years you can put 3 anglers of equal ability on similar pegs and maybe 1 of them will catch. You'll probably disagree and suggest the cream always rises to the top, I just feel that such happens with more regularity than it does at Wigan.
Irkthepurists

are the semi's working

To me it just seems more a peg than technique venue

I think thats the answer Muckno....

Remember Rob when he was capt 1st year you fished it talking to a couple of lads after a winter league practice match and they were talking about a method....

The leading teams know that before they go to a peg they key part is to talk to someone who knows the cut and to see what the peg is capable of, that means on some pegs on the Dog Kennels at Parbold for instance they will cut to the chase and just put choppy in... other pegs it's out and out Licky....

It takes time for a team to get there and you lads are too good not to get it....

You'll be there next year no doubt...... There's now't else to do that time of the year up North!!
:D :D :D
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

are the semi's working

Unread post by Dodge »

Irk, just for the record ..... ;) Image

Sensas NW took the wigan canal apart in a couple of leagues prop 3 or 4 years back .....Anglers Mail / Drennan Superleague and Wigan Autumn lge, some of them anglers have moved on i know. We won a super lge round at burscough with 6 section wins and 2 seconds from 8 anglers , Trevor Platt won it with 13.0.0 odd and i was 2nd with 12.0.0 odd..... Trev drew behind the flats and i drew 2 pegs from burscough main road bridge (Drums side ;)) ......

Happy days Image Image ;) :D 8-)

The Wigan canal is a much tougher propisiton in winter though and does my head in to be honest ! lol Image Image Image Image ;)
Steve-Knowles

are the semi's working

Unread post by Steve-Knowles »

The wigan canal is complete and utter crappity smack dog sh!t. I wouldnt even use the canal water to put out the flames if my house was burning down.

Only my opinion of course.

bill yards
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

are the semi's working

Unread post by bill yards »

The wigan canal is complete and utter crappity smacking dog sh!t. I wouldnt even use the canal water to put out the flames if my house was burning down.

Only my opinion of course.

I gather you are not very keen on it the Steve. Image

Must admit I fished it in the National and the practise matches; really enjoyed it, good company and crappity smack all wrong with the fishing. All opinion like you say.
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

are the semi's working

Unread post by joffmiester »

Image Imagecrappity smack HELL STEVE STEADY MATE Image Image Image Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

are the semi's working

Unread post by joffmiester »

wigston,wigan its all the same at the minute famin or feast its not about how good you are [well you might get a few more fish out than others]its about where the fish are Image pete marlow won a match with 14lb of rudd shallow that peg yesterday had a couple of pounds yet the other side of the bridge a bloke had 8lb of rudd fishing shallow Image Image Image
Irkthepurists

are the semi's working

PMSL Steve when I read that before my match on the Rufford on Sunday!!

Um.... I might use the water from Adlington on the house but deffo not from Cowling or Sarries Head.....

:o :o :o

Dodge..... I know what quality you lads have.... Remember the last Drennan league it was my first series back team fishing after a 25 yr lay off......  fishing for Lostock....  Seem to recall being battered with massive weights off Salwick basin by  Kerry Kirkwood and others when they had big big weights of bream whilst I right in he middle of them had 4lb...... of mainly snigs!! Frank from Southport had 4lb of hemp roach but hey..... we were battered well out of sight...

::) ::) ::)
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

are the semi's working

Unread post by Dodge »

Dodge..... I know what quality you lads have.... Remember the last Drennan league it was my first series back team fishing after a 25 yr lay off......fishing for Lostock....Seem to recall being battered with massive weights off Salwick basin byKerry Kirkwood and others when they had big big weights of bream whilst I right in he middle of them had 4lb...... of mainly snigs!! Frank from Southport had 4lb of hemp roach but hey..... we were battered well out of sight...

Nice one Irk   Image Image

Yepp i remember that match at salwick very well ...... i was winning it comfortably with about an hour to go  ::)  Image Image  Image    Image   I drew just into the basin with John Cookson the first peg in it on my left and Frank Holding on my right. I weighed 28.0.0 odd of skimmers ...... Rob Holt my Sensas NW team mate was in the section the other end of the basin and caught 6 big bream to 6lb for around 25lb in the last
hour ! He weighed 39.0.0 to win the match !! lol

Cookie had 8lb on my right and think Frank was last in section with 4lb of roach on hemp !   Image   Image Image 

I travelled with Kerry Kirkwood that day and he drew the early section one peg out of the first bay and came last in section  Image  :D  Ant Marsden won that section with 10lb on hemp from the bushes , Kerry was gutted as he is awesome on the hemp   ;)  :D  Image Image

Think Queenie Boy caught a massive hybrid that day an all ?   :-/    8-)

Happy days    ;)  Image Image    8-)  Image

Proper Lanky matches them Steve  :)  oh if we had a circuit like that again one day   :-/    Image
Irkthepurists

are the semi's working

Bloody 'ell yes Rog.... Can place it now..... You were battering the match, seem to recall a bit of a weed bed in front of you and a few lost dobbers? Rob came into play in the last hour and a half and couldn't stop catching massive bream for fun..... I wish!!
::) ::) ::)

Seem to recall the ugly sight of Lostocks Uncle Keith going in in his under trolleys to clear his peg of weed to make it fishable with his trusty weed cutter and still finishing last in section poor lad...

:D :D :D
Irkthepurists

are the semi's working

Oh....

and Frank had a little 4 on hemp and I had a big four on Choppie mainly with snigs and the look an his face was a real picture...
:-/ :-/ :-/

Learn't a lot that day too!!
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

are the semi's working

Unread post by Dodge »

Seem to recall the ugly sight of Lostocks Uncle Keith going in in his under trolleys to clear his peg of weed to make it fishable with his trusty weed cutter

Image Image Image Image 

I borrowed Cookies brand new weed cutter Irk   Image Image 

Nice one Cookie   ;)  8-)   Image Image Image    Image