If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Grueller match 1 2009 - onto the Common

Post your Cashmores Results and Match Reports here.

Moderators: MrV, kod

TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Having experienced the Big Baz ballacher series  :o over the last month or so it was now onto the Grueller Series where I personally was in need of a fish or two………….. question was could I break the lb mark for a change.  Image Image Image

A call from Big Baz at 8.15am whilst Heinzer drove us on our way advised that he’d already pegged the Common – ta Baz -  Image  and he was tucking into his breckie.

A few ‘eager’ guys were already on the bridge and talk centred on some fish topping and a pleasure angler who’d had 3 tincas on Thursday on the tip and the corn.  Image Sod it – I’d got neither a tip rod or a bag of corn with me. :D

20 ‘hardy’ anglers showed for this opening match – predominantly faces that had incurred the wrath of previous gruellers plus a few more crack cut anglers – seasoned campaigners that I felt sure had probably experienced many a grueller in their time, so today shouldn’t present any problems for them.  Image

Conditions were not too bad  Image – ok there had been a cold overnight snap, and the met check was advising it would be dry, with temperatures of 5c, but feeling like 1c.

I secretly wanted a draw between pegs 1 – 15 so was pleased to be left with peg 11 in the hat.  Image

I also wanted to avoid any of the cut cracks to stand the remotest chance of winning this one, but it wasn’t to be as I found Wyrley & Essington maestro Mark Oakley to my left and TA’s Blues4eva to my right.  :'( ;)

During the week I’d decided on a fishing a permutation of a MarkV formation  - 2, 1, 2, 1 lines – not exactly the diamond formation, but all prematch planning went out of the window as I plumbed up. :D

Armed with w&j, punch and caster, but only really expected to catch on the j – my confidence on the punch is at an all time low, plus I can’t remember my last caster fish. :(

The off and lines fed. Mark O is straight into fish, one a chuck literally, whilst myself and Blues4eva are struggling. We both start picking off odd fish, whilst the steam train to my left was emptying it. Image

It was a struggle to put more that 3 fish on the trot together. Hotlips came down for a walk and advised that Goldenballs was having one a put in on the punch  Image and Big Baz has also got 50 odd fish to his name already  :o with Mark O swinging in 3-4oz stampers,  Image whilst I’m having wasps and 3 to the oz silvers.  Image

Halfway through and Blues4eva makes his move………..in with the choppie. First look and he’s straight into a netter kinver tiger. He later picks up another.   Image

With what’s happening either side of me and the news from Hotlips I probably make a tactical mistake………or it could have actually paid off.

It was all provoked by my desire for a cup of leek and potato soup. On with a white caster to see if I can snare a kinver over my joker. Soup poured, ship out.

Sipping the soup and to my amazement float tips – lift and a caster fish – a 2oz stripey is netted.  Image 

Out again with the white caster………..minute or so, ditto but a bonus, well bonus for me, 1 oz roach.  Image

I’m flying.  :D :D :D

Well that’s when it went wrong. I’m fishing this caster on my joker rig with a 24 on. Next bite, lift, lacky comes out. Start shipping back gently………… Image

Shipped a couple of sections back…………….. Image Image

and the sodding thing comes off  Image  – probably one of those half pound plus kinvers pricked in his boney lip.

Another look on the joker………..just a couple of 2 inch silvers. Sod it stick the caster back on – going nowhere on the j and I need some bonus stampers.

Well I did snare another…………..temporarily………..as he slipped that 24 hook too.   Image Image Image

Managed another 2oz kinver after that, but with half hour to go, no more caster bites so back to the joker and suddenly the peg ‘has switched on’ – well ‘switched on’ to how it had been for the previous 2 plus hours on the w&j.

A procession of a dozen or so of joker fish, albeit non bigger than on ounce. The tale of the scales will probably tell me I should have switched back ‘earlier’ – but there again I believed others to be ‘sacking’ down in the low nos. 

Heinzer blows up 

In all honesty the 4 hours have fled for me, despite being battered either side……..in fact I hadn’t even had time to pull the camera out of the box.

So packing up I managed to snap these few pictures as the scales approached.

Big Baz  complete with his festive hat

Heinzer weighing in with Mick G in frame

Golden Balls was happy with his punch fish

Blues4eva has done me

What’s Mark Oakley got in here?

Well here’s the tale of the scales

PEG ANGLER WEIGHT
1 KEEF 1.7.0
2 GOLDEN BALLS 1.8.8
3 MICK P DNW
4 MILLIE 2.0.0
5 MARKV 1.9.0
6 BIG BAZ 3.7.0
7 SIBECK 2.4.0
8 K WOODWARD DNW
9 MICK G 2.1.0
10 BLUES4EVA 3.11.0
11 TK 2.0.0
12 MARK OAKLEY 7.0.0
13 TWEETY DNW
14 PHIL B DNW
15 CHESLYNBOY DNW
16 HEINZER DNW
17 BIG COL DNW
18 COTTI DNW
19 THE WEDGE DNW
20 THE SHARK DNW

Just noticed Heinzer – you can do drams on those beam scales  :P   ;)

And finally Mark O with his decent net of fish – well done mate  Image

Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Unread post by Simple »

Whats that funny hand gesture in the last picture TK ?? :D Image

Great reading and piccies Image
sibeck

Unread post by sibeck »

Will you make sure mick g picks from a different hat............... on a different stretch of canal next time pls m8 Image... my first grueller match and enjoyed it, semmed a decent set of lads with good banter.... lookin forwards to the next 1
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

Unread post by Dave C »

Were pegs 13 ro 20 fishing a different canal to the rest of you, or did Mark O nick all their fish off them?
me
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Personal Text: ENGLISH AND PROUD

Unread post by me »

cracking report as usual tk with some decent photo's to. Like dave as said, what happend from peg 13 to 20 ? Image. So what happend to the likes mouse, simps, yammo, budgie to name a few ? Hopefully if everything goes ok with my op's in hospital and i can make a speedy recovery i might be able to make the last match of the series in feb (but not comiting yet until i know im out of hozzi first)
Image Image
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Unread post by Simple »

So what happend to the likes mouse, simps
I knew I would have drew 13-20 so I didn't go Image Image :D
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

So what happend to the likes mouse, simps
I knew I would have drew 13-20 so I didn't go  Image Image :D

I'm sure I remember you snaring a few - 5lb odd - for a place down on them pegs last year Simps Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Whats that funny hand gesture in the last picture TK ??

Dunno mate Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

what happend from peg 13 to 20

Think they all tipped away when Mark threw 7lb on the scales ;)
cheslynboy
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker
Personal Text: Fishing is relaxing except when on matches
Match Team/ Club: Rough Hay A C

Unread post by cheslynboy »

There wasn't any fish on pegs 13-20 even the guys either side of me couldn't get a bite on b&j it was tough my first dry of the year since the last grueller series Image Image Image Image Image Image
Still looking forward to the next one hope its a bit warmer as it was exposed on that bit of common we where on Image
Thx TK for a well run match
sibeck

Unread post by sibeck »

for some reason on that stretch they will only feed on the far shelf 13m+ i drew it the week before and fished the track and just off the far shelf and couldnt get a bite where the bloke in the next peg went straight over and weighed in 4lb i tried it for the last hour and weighd in 2lb..... just glad i didnt draw them pegs Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Interesting Sibeck - ta for the tip Image

Might have to delete that posting before anybody else see's it Image ;)
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Hopefully if everything goes ok with my op's

Fingers crossed all goes aok and you make a speedy recovery - make sure we do see you on the bank in Feb - that's the target you need to set your sights on ME Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Unread post by joffmiester »

sound report again TK spot on a great laugh Image Image Image
i even phone lee to ask where he had drawn Image Image
me
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Personal Text: ENGLISH AND PROUD

Unread post by me »

Hopefully if everything goes ok with my op's

Fingers crossed all goes aok and you make a speedy recovery - make sure we do see you on the bank in Feb - that's the target you need to set your sights on ME  Image

TK after mmy op 5th jan i can't do anything for a minimum of 6 weeks which takes me to mid feb or if things take longer it could be any thing upto 3 months (april :'(). Im aiming for to be back up and about for the 6 week mark Image
Image Image
mburgess
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker
Personal Text: Budgie

Unread post by mburgess »

There wasn't any fish on pegs 13-20 even the guys either side of me couldn't get a bite on b&j it was tough my first dry of the year since the last grueller series  Image Image Image Image Image Image
Still looking forward to the next one hope its a bit warmer as it was exposed on that bit of common we where on  Image
Thx TK for a well run match

Give them a blast on the Trumpet Cheslynboy that will get em going tooot tooot ::) ::) Image Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

sound report again TK spot on a great laugh

Ta Joffie - but I'm missing the hilarious input from our chief scribe, MarkV - his takes on the day usually crack me up Image
cheslynboy
Forum Stalker
Forum Stalker
Personal Text: Fishing is relaxing except when on matches
Match Team/ Club: Rough Hay A C

Unread post by cheslynboy »

Its been sent away for repairs Budgie Image Image Image Image
I'll bring my radio instead Image Image
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Happily retired.
Match Team/ Club: Maggotdrowning.com
Sponsor: Taxpayers.

Unread post by Mugger »

Nice to see the Grueller reports back. :)
A decent read as always TK. Image

Makes me realise that I really didn't have as bad a day as I thought on Saturday. Image
:cheerleader :cheerleader Watch out, watch out, there's a Mugger about :cheerleader :cheerleader
CHOPWORM HERO
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony
Match Team/ Club: MaverBaitech
Sponsor: Maver / Baitech

Unread post by CHOPWORM HERO »

Top report TK Image nice to see the white caster doin the biz, but not sure about the crappity smackin hook !!!! Image Image Image Image :D Image