If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Rolling mill Teams of 3, Final Match

Share your Match Results or Fishing Stories Here.

Moderator: bill yards

Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Unread post by Simple »

Got a call from John the draw master at 8.15 telling me I was on peg 14 which is know to be a flyer  ::)
Got all my gear on the trolley and walked down and started setting up. It was a lovely morning after the frost I had seen earlier in the morning.
Set my box and nets up and this is what my peg was like

I like the look of it and the weather was nice compared to last weeks superb winds  >:( That was until the all in was called then the wind picked up again.
I decided to fish the punch and caster down the track so I had cupped in some casters and a small ball of punch crumb and started on the caster.
15 Min's went by and not a sausage so I switched onto the punch and it went right away, skimmer. This brought a smile to my face when the float went down again on the next put in. This continued for 30 Min's catching nice and steady small roach and skimmers and then it started raining.
I was too busy concentrating to notice that my pinkies and squatts for escaping all over the place and worse still by bread was getting soaked  >:(
sh!t weather and with the windchill it was minus easily today.
Carried on for the rest of the match using white pinkie and white maggot cut in half (to try and look like punch)   :D

I ended up weighing 1lb 05oz 6dr and won my section and was 4th overall in the match which I was pleased with but knew it could have been different if that bread didn't get soaked  :( ahhh well sh!t happens.

Myself, Conna and Dry net George finished 4th overall in the league, just out of the money, bugger bugger.

I enjoyed the matches but did not enjoy the friggin weather. I had the top weight of the league also with 4lb 10oz something (jack messed it up  ::) ) and managed
1 win and a section win for the team which I was very pleased with as I ain't done much on canals at all.

After the match There was a small presentation in some dodgy pub   :D :D
Jack brought bacon and bread and everyone tried to cut the bread with the blunt knife he had brought  :-? :-/
But it was  nice thought and tasted well nice when we finally got the bread cut. Good on ya Jack  Image Image

Thanks for letting me fish with you Conna, I enjoyed it........ No I really did lol  ;) Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Well done matey..............tut tut not covering that punch up :(
How far off were you from framing?
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Simple »

Very close lol..

Winner today was 2lb 0oz 01dr  :o
Conna
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by Conna »

Well done again Si, considering you only fished there once before I think you have done remarkably well, much better than I have this time round. I have had a terrible time the last 3 matches there. The pegs have gone from being able to catch of every peg to selected pegs due to the clarity of the water and I'm not making any excuses but I really do think I have had pegs that have been devoid of fish. I dry netted today for the first time ever on Rolling Mill St and I have been going down there now for 8 years. I couldn't have done anything different today in hindsight, I worked my heart out and there wasn't 6" of my peg where that worm wasn't put to try and get a bite.

I look forward to the event next year and hope you will fish with me again si. I hope you decide to fish the winter league too, I'm sure you'll be a force to be reconed with.

Nice pics btw Image
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Simple »

Cheers dude. I will see how I go next sunday before deciding on the winter league  Image
The other pictures have not turned out very good lol  ;) Well one did actually  :o

picture deleted

LOL that about says it all for todays fishing folks  :P :P :D
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Hard luck Conna. You’re not on your own. I’ve experienced a dry net in the past in a team event despite all of my attempts to snare a bite. :'(
I recollect fondly (not!!!) a winter league match on the Hodnet waters back in early 90s when despite the use of worm and joker, 12 of us out of a section of 14 dried. I never smelt a bite. No doubt too there were better anglers than me in the section which produced the mighty total of 3 gudgeon.
Just got to get it out of your system and batter the opposition on the next match……….. Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

How boring of me to mention this again on these forums...........it must have had a such a profound effect on me and disturbed me psychologically 'cuss it was my first dry net in a match (that I can remember) Image
kod
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG

Unread post by kod »

in all the years i only remember you having one dry net and that was at blackfords :o
Mark_Stanaway
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by Mark_Stanaway »

HA lets see what comes out off peg 8/9 if no water pulling ?
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

in all the years i only remember you having one dry net and that was at blackfords :o

It happens to the best of us KOD :D :D

That match on the cut was my first dry net.

Following in the decade or so with Cashmores, Blackfords was cruel to me after so many years of decent nets, causing my second and third DNs (couldn't believe that - two on the bounce there in successive visits). Round that bay in the 50's only 2 fish were caught out of 12 of us.
They were followed by Kingswell when I drew the mooring platform for the QE2 which didn't exist 48 hours before our match. You'll remember that........sure you were next peg and 7 in a row of us dried.
All distinct and dramatic events that I'll take to the grave with me............... :D
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Horror of horrors !!!!!!!! :o :'(

Just thought of 2 more DN’s in the 35 year archive of my match fishing.

Both were TK Gruellers.

You’ll probably remember the one at Hawbridge when we all crammed in on that bit of cut by the lock that was ice free instead of breaking the ice above the lock. I’m sure that if we’d bost the ice we would have caught……….instead we all dried

The other was at Rodbaston – couldn’t believe that one either – normally Ginge moaned there cuss of the head of gudgeon that was there (up TK’s street :D )
About 15 of us fshed, but only 1 gudgeon was caught between us so Keith Page scooped all the pools.

Simple Simon was telling me that he’s never had a DN…………….there’s time, he’s only ever fished with us once............ ;)
Mark_Stanaway
Forum Ornament
Forum Ornament

Unread post by Mark_Stanaway »

HA you aint been fishing if you have not had a DN Image
YAMO
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG

Unread post by YAMO »

After 5 years match fishing(3 with cashmores and 2 with beechdale) ive only ever blanked once and that was on a stretch of canal for cashmores,when 2 tiny gudgeon slipped the hook as i lifted em from the water, this also was a knock out match and screwed me up for the aggregrate.

Ive only ever blanked twice pleasure fishing, once on boxing day at earlswood res and the other time a ice breaking session at blackfords. Plenty more to come, maybe even the grueller match tomorrow if mr V'S reports of no pumping continue.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by TK »

Once in 5 years - extrapolate that over 35 and you'll catch me up YAMO..........mind - my first occured after about 19 years and then the others followed. Must be an age thing.......when the eyesight starts failing and your mental prowess is on the wane.
So by the time you hit 50, you could be beating me :D :D :D