If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Pea Lane Apr 25th 2009

Marsh Results and Reports.

Moderator: Spamwham

nomorelongwalks
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: I Came I Saw I Blanked

Pea Lane Apr 25th 2009

Unread post by nomorelongwalks »

How did it fish then'did DTF fix the draw again,did Colin win on the paste,or did mugger do his usual mug everyone with a lump 5mins from the end  Image
Laugh For God's Sake,The Goverment will Ban It  Soon
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

Pea Lane Apr 25th 2009

Unread post by Dave C »

No, No, and No. Be patient and all will be revealed
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

Pea Lane Apr 25th 2009

Unread post by Dave C »

Well things rarely go to plan and so it was again for most today. The temperature had dropped a few degrees overnight and rain was forecast. Fortunately the rain didnt turn up but there was a cold wind blowing across the lake straight into the bays by Pegs 4,5 and 7 suggesting that, even though they would be the favourite pegs normally, today would be a good day to draw them.

As I had been receiving a bit of grief from some of the members for drawing the flyer last week I gave the peg nnumbers to john and told him which pegs to take out and let him do the draw once again taking the last number out but at no point did I touch the numbers.

The last number in the hat after everyone had drawn was PEG 7 Image Image Image, Now that was a nice birthday present wasnt it. Image

I will fill you in on my match tomorrow but suffice to say I managed to slip a few carp into the net during the next 6 hours interupted and 1 pm buy the burger van oxner delivering a fresh cooked bacon sarnie and a cup of tea in a proper mug to my peg. Image Image Image

Unfortunately everyone else was struggling though some managed to pick up a few skimmers later on. As born out by the weigh sheets.

Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Pea Lane Apr 25th 2009

Unread post by Simple »

Strange how fast the results appear when a certain someone wins Image Image Image Image

Well done Dave Image Image
Tel
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Pea Lane Apr 25th 2009

Unread post by Tel »

Dave,
All that success has gone to your head - Al was in 12 and Tony was in 13.
have to say that was one of the worst fishing days I've ever had  Image, both Al and I sat there for 6 bloody hours trying everything under the sun which resulted in 4 bites each  :'( - fortunately for Al he landed three of his while I missed two and bumped the other two.
Think I'll take up gardening as the static gnome position is now well ingrained.  ::) - oh well I suppose there's next time.
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

Pea Lane Apr 25th 2009

Unread post by Dodge »

You get better with age Dave :D Image Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pea Lane Apr 25th 2009

Unread post by TK »

Sounds like the Image has spread its wings Image
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Happily retired.
Match Team/ Club: Maggotdrowning.com
Sponsor: Taxpayers.

Re: Pea Lane Apr 25th 2009

Unread post by Mugger »

Sounds like the  Image has spread its wings  Image

Not to Dave's crappity smacking drawing hand it hasn't Tony. Image

The way things are going, I'm thinking of applying for honorary membership of Cashmore's  Image

Today was the 2nd match of the year for Marsh AC, at Pea Lane Fishery (a new venue for the club). It's a gravel pit controlled by Becmain Angling Club that was dug out when the M25 was being built. Loading up the car it was noticeably cooler than it had been during the previous week, with the threat of rain in the air. I arrived at Dave's around 7·30am to meet up with Dave, Colin and Chris and follow them to the fishery, and a short drive saw us pulling into the fishery car park just after 8am  :).

As people assembled prior to the draw I had a quick look at the water, everything I'd heard about the water indicated it could be peggy as hell with pegs 1,4,5 and 7 being the ones to draw, and with the wind blowing into it today peg 7 appeared to be the stand-out one today  ;). The "Burger van" was a bit slow to get up and running today, so we put our orders in to be delivered to our pegs and did the draw. Peg 10 was mine for the day ( Image not where I wanted to be.) Dave and Colin as is customary took the last 2 pegs in the hat with Colin getting 18, leaving PEG 7 for Dave  :o!!!!!!!!!!

Settling into my peg a few drops of rain started to fall, but thankfully soon stopped. I set up 3 top kits, the first was rigged up with a 4X16 Preston Bazzerla PB19 on 0·16 to 0·14 bottom with size 16 Drennan Match Carp hook for a line at 10mtrs where I had around 6ft of water, the gusting wind from left to right making it impractical to fish any longer. The second was a Malman 4x14 Snake 1 on 0·12 to an 0·10 bottom with a size 18 carbon maggot as an up in the water rig, should the Ide put in an appearance, while the third was a KC 4x12 Carpa Tricky on 0·16 to 0·14 bottom with size 16 Drennan Match Carp hook for the margins where I had 2-2½ft of water. I also set up the feeder rod as I'd been told that it was possible to drop on some bream from some pegs. Bait was red maggots, corn and pellet, with some Special G groundbait and hemp for feed.

Breakfast arrived in the shape of a bacon & egg baguette and I was just finishing this as the all in was called.
Chris over on peg 6 was into a fish straight away, with plenty of black hydro streaming out of the pole and after about 5 minutes had the culprit in the net, a Barbel of around 2½lbs  ;)................

I fed some pellet into the margins and potted out a mix of hemp, pellet and maggot at 10 mtrs and followed it out with 2 maggots on the depth rig. The float settled and slid away and an Ide of around 6ozs got me off the mark, soon followed by a similar sized Chub  :). An hour later and I was still waiting for a third bite  :-?!!!!!!!!!!! Half an hour on the feeder was no better, but gave me the opportunity to take some shots of the wildlife ..........

................ and already word was spreading along the bank that it was rock hard with just a few bits for most, although Dave had already snared a couple of Carp from the flyer  ::), it seemed that most were struggling to get to grips with the venue on the day.
Terry had appeared around 12·30 eating a burger, that being his only bite so far  Image!!!!!! and I made the decision having only added a foul hooked Gudgeon and a couple of blade skimmers to stick 5 balls of groundbait onto the 10mtr line and have a stroll. Dave was happily plugging away and admitting to 5 carp  :o..............

..........but for the rest it was grim  :(, with nobody admitting to more than a few silvers, so I decided to take the burger option and get a bite to eat. All I can say is that it's probably best to stick to bacon, as hand on heart I couldn't tell what the burger was made of  :-/???????? Thank God for onions and mustard, at least it gave it some flavor  Image.

Back at my peg I could see Judy over on peg 4 occasionally popping fish in her net, was I going to get beaten by the club's lady angler twice in a row  Image????????????

Had the groundbait done the trick  Well I wasn't pulling up any tree stumps, but I started to put together a few small skimmers and Ide which was an improvement and I just kept pinging a few maggots over the top in an effort to keep them coming  ;). Frustratingly though they wouldn't come up in the water, I could only get a bite at depth, but at least I was putting something in the net on a reasonably regular basis. Terry had at last had a couple of bites, but he'd missed both of them  :'(.

With around an hour to go my bites had dried up again, so I put in another 3 balls of groundbait, then Al wandered round and we decided to go and see what some decent swims looked like  ;). We found Dave admitting to having had a few more Carp including one around the 10lb mark, but apparently engaged in a tug of war with a patch of reeds, It's amazing just how far Red Hydro can stretch   Image!!!!!!!!!!!

Judy was plugging away on peg 4, but was frustrated, feeling she probably hadn't got the best from it, while Jim on peg 3 was in a bit of trouble with a Carp snagged in roots and struggling to net it, finally it was in the net though, a Common of around 7lbs, a real bonus on the day  Image.

Back at my peg, and the groundbait had brought a few back to the swim with a few better skimmers around the 8-12oz mark coming to the net. Looking up Chris had plenty of pole in the air again before landing what looked to be a bonus Carp, while Terry reported that he had finally hooked a couple of fish, only to have them drop off  Image.

Thankfully at 4pm Dave sounded the All-out to put most of us out of our misery. The weigh-in told the tale of the day really, Jim on peg 3 weighed 14¾lbs including his Carp to take 2nd place on the day, While Chris was just 4ozs behind him with 14½lbs. Dave had walked it off the flyer however, weighing in 46¼lbs (not a bad belated birthday present  Image). I was pleasantly surprised to find that my net of bits weighed 13¼lbs for 4th on the day  :). Overall the day had been a real struggle though with more than a few suffering their own "Mugger Moments©", though as usual there had been more than a few laughs with plenty of banter flying around to make up for the disappointing fishing  Image.

You can find my Blog report HERE  Image
:cheerleader :cheerleader Watch out, watch out, there's a Mugger about :cheerleader :cheerleader
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pea Lane Apr 25th 2009

Unread post by TK »

Interesting and entertaining read as usual Mugger. Image

Looks a very picturesque venue - love to give it a bash if it was closer to home ;)
I'm thinking of applying for honorary membership of Cashmore's

You must really be 'close to the edge' then :D
Bill_G
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Pea Lane Apr 25th 2009

Unread post by Bill_G »

You can read my take on the day in the usual place. ;)
http://petermorton1.xanga.com/
[/quote]

good read pete ,but just one observasion ,i think you are missing a vital peice of tackle when you fish these marsh matches . a good pair of walking boots as you seem to spend most of the match walking around Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Pea Lane Apr 25th 2009

Unread post by Mugger »

Bill,
as you well know, half the fun of the Marsh matches is having a stroll round and having a chat with the others, It's really nothing more than a day out with friends, but with a weigh-in at the end, and long may it continue in that fashion. Image
:cheerleader :cheerleader Watch out, watch out, there's a Mugger about :cheerleader :cheerleader
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Pea Lane Apr 25th 2009

Unread post by Mugger »

Commiserations to Tony by the way, who bust a No4 on his 401 on a tree. :(

But as I told him he should have netted it, they're to big to swing to hand. Image
Spamwham
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

Pea Lane Apr 25th 2009

Unread post by Spamwham »

Commiserations to Tony by the way, who bust a No4 on his 401 on a tree. :(

But as I told him he should have netted it, they're to big to swing to hand. Image

Image Image Image

It will be on its way to Scott at Esselle later today Image

My new name for our esteemed club captain is 'Flyer'. Image

Actually Flyer me old mate I have to say that even though you did draw THE peg again Image, I think 46lb on the day was a pretty good performance on a day when Pea Lane yet again lived up to its name in my view. What a dire set of results Image. Dont think its going to get a 2nd chance next year somehow. Image
joffmiester
Forum Spammer
Forum Spammer
Personal Text: if i drank carlsberg i
would probably be good
Match Team/ Club: SENSAS
Sponsor: SENSAS VAN JOFF FLOATS

Pea Lane Apr 25th 2009

Unread post by joffmiester »

well done dave but still no mars bar points Image
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

Pea Lane Apr 25th 2009

Unread post by Simple »

You can read my take on the day in the usual place. Wink
http://petermorton1.xanga.com/
Great reading Mugger, cheers Image Image
Gowith

Pea Lane Apr 25th 2009

Unread post by Gowith »

ok. I'm not one of the ton up boy's but I enjoyed the day with my 4lb 80z . Image I endorse Mugger's coments regarding meeting friends/fishing/ weighing in . Image