If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

2009 venues

Marsh Club Banter.

Moderator: Spamwham

Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Match Team/ Club: Marsh AC

2009 venues

Unread post by Dave C »

Ive been having some initial thought about venues for next year and have come up with these places so far

Definates:

Rayne Lodge
Colemans Cottage
Rockells
Hartleylands

Possibles:

Brookhall
Pea Lane ( mainly Silvers for a change )
Arrans ( Entire Farm) ?? Rules
Newlands ?? Very Expensive
Churchgate Top Lake ( Grass Carp)
Claverhambury
Bentley fishery ( previously Lake John)
Monk ( Early season ? March if nothing in Essex)

There must be lots of others in Essex so have any of you got any more ideas or comments on which of those above your think are best. Im trying to do 8 next year one a month from May til October. Ive decided to only have one in Kent next year as we seem to only get around 12 for those.
I also have an idea or two for an unoffical day out  but ill save that until Im sure . Image

We currently have 21 members ( plus 1 who only makes 1 or 2 places) plus one more I will add this year. This is about the maximum, although there are 2 or 3 who will come as visitors where there is space.
I guess that Jean will fish more often next year although that depends on how often she beats Kev.  Image and I might even try to get Gladys to show us how its should be done.

Any comments from the rest of you?
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

2009 venues

Unread post by Dodge »

Any venues up north davec ?? Image

Image Image Image Image Image
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

2009 venues

Unread post by Dave C »

Rockells is way up north for us near Stansted Airport. Well it is for Terry who lives on the south coast at Hastings. Its 100 mile straight north.

Cant be far for you to travel down. Image
al
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

2009 venues

Unread post by al »

they all look good dave
ive never fished rayne lodge
pea lane is ok
ive never caught a grass carp either
put my name down for them all please ;) ;) ;) ;)
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

2009 venues

Unread post by Dave C »

Your a bit eager arent you. Image I havent even decided which ones to book yet. Image Your not even a member :P
al
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

2009 venues

Unread post by al »

dave not jumping the gun mate
just getting me name down
hope to become a member one day
but happy as a guest
as long as i can come
kev the catch
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

2009 venues

Unread post by kev the catch »

Dave,

Bently,Pea lane and Brookhall sound good to me. Image Image

Kev
Mugger
Marsh AC
Marsh AC
Personal Text: Happily retired.
Match Team/ Club: Maggotdrowning.com
Sponsor: Taxpayers.

2009 venues

Unread post by Mugger »

Hartleylands, which lake Dave, or is it the Reservoir you're thinking of? Nick's may make for a more even days fishing for club members. Image

Arrans ( Entire Farm) Decent fishing, but unless they've relaxed their rules it would be a nightmare matchwise. >:(

Rayne Lodge Image

Colemans Cottage Image

Rockells Image Don't suppose there's any chance of getting 2 dates is there?

Churchgate Top Lake May be worth a try, it is the lake that normally gets used for matches afterall.  ;)

Brookhall Lake, Tiptree. Wouldn't mind a visit for old times sake, but not sure it sees a lot of use as a match venue nowadays.
It always used to be a very peggy venue.

Monks would be fine as a 2nd Kent venue, but is very exposed to the elements especially if you are going to fish it early in the year. however I wouldn't rule out Hawkhurst as it definately has the edge in terms of facilities. ;)

Bentley fishery ( previously Lake John) Always had plenty of silvers to go at if the Carp (plenty of mid doubles now evidently) don't want to play. ;)

Rolf's Lake. A bit of difference for the members maybe???? a max of 20 pegs is the ideal number. ;)
:cheerleader :cheerleader Watch out, watch out, there's a Mugger about :cheerleader :cheerleader
Dodge
HanKat Crony
HanKat Crony

2009 venues

Unread post by Dodge »

Rockells is way up north for us near Stansted Airport.  Well it is for Terry who lives on the south coast at Hastings. Its 100 mile straight north.

Cant be far for you to travel down. Image

Think Ryan Air and Easy Jet fly to Stanstead Image
Simple
Site Admin
Site Admin
Personal Text: flapjack nom nom

2009 venues

Unread post by Simple »

Rolf's Lake. A bit of difference for the members maybe???? a max of 20 pegs is the ideal number.

21 is better ;) ;) ;)
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

2009 venues

Unread post by Dave C »

Hartleylands, I was thinking of trying Nicks lake this time. I dont know how much they are charging now but the res used to be £130 for the 31 pegs. I would expect after the day ticket price increase that as Nicks is 38 pegs they may be wanting around £200 for it. Could be a little expensive as we normally only get 13 to 16 on Kent venues, though we could only book half the lake.

Rockells 2 mqtches would be good but as he only allows matches once a fortnight bookings for one match are hard enough to get.

Churchgate Top Lake I typed it wrong as this is the lake with the grass carp but after our last 2 matches on the bottom lake I wonder how many would bother to come.

Bentley fishery Could always try his match lake rather than the main lake. but again its another £10 a peg water like Churchgate so booking the whole lake could be expensive.

Claverhambury this is supposed to be a bag up water on the smaller lake but it is a bit of a walk across the field from the car park.

Monks Although its a bit exposed early in the season it gaurantees plenty of bites no matter what the weather.

ROLFS. Image Most wouldnt drive that far and Im not sure those that would go are experienced enough to cope with Rolfs babies. Plus my phone wouldnt stop ringing with people wanting to come as guests. Anyway Simple was supposed to be trying to fix a three way club challange between Yale, Cashmores and Marsh. 8 to 10 anglers a side.

I could try for 2 dates at Colemans one on Pathfield and one on Woods. ( I think I have just got over the trauma of our last match on it :'( and it fishes well now.)

Pea Lane is almost definate as it will make a change to fish for bream and roach plus the chance of a few carp too.

There is always Cuton lakes at Chelmsford but I dont fancy spending a day listening to the traffic thundering by on the A12. >:(

There have got to be some more decent places in Essex. Come on lads lets have some ideas.
Spamwham
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

2009 venues

Unread post by Spamwham »

Hi Dave - just got back from Czecho so only just seen this. Some thoughts:

Agree about your definites.

2 visits to Colemans would certainly appeal - especially if we try 2 diff lakes - Pathfield as usual, and the other larger match lake we first fished (is it Woods?). Would get a good attendance from the Essex members.

Pea Lane is probably worth a try - as you say a bit of a change with silvers. However not so keen on Brookhall.

I also think Tylers Common is worth considering - yes I know it was very easy fishing when we tried it (only if they're having it) - but would a nice bag up opportunity for the members - didn't seem too peggy either.

I think we should give Churchgate one more go - again as suggested using the top match lake for a change - but may be pricey if you have to book the whole lake.

Dont know anything about Bentley or Claverhambury but new venues always appeal to me.

We should stick to 2 Kent matches as long as the centre of gravity of the membership is in Essex. If this continues to decline we could add an extra match in Kent (but keep same # of Essex matches). ::)

Finally Newlands Hall always got a good turnout for the club, yes I know its a bit pricey - but perfect opprtunity for you to show Peter how to fish onthe top Image Image Image
Tel
Marsh AC
Marsh AC

2009 venues

Unread post by Tel »

Dave,

Our company day was fished at Brookhall first week in August but in spite of the glowing blurb it fished rubbish - winning weight was 15lb of silvers and four people DNW. I suspect it could be peggy as we appeared to be the wrong end of the lake.

Bit dubious about Churchgate - nice looking but I suspect understocked.

A few others to consider

Birds Green
Puddledock
Timberland (might be a bit new)
Mill Barn

Terry   Image
Dave C
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

2009 venues

Unread post by Dave C »

We fished Timberlands a couple of years ago and its wasnt good . Colin won it with 22 lb and one of our members even BLANKED. I wont reveal who it was to spare his embarrasment. Well OK it was Tony. Image

Birds Green is very peggy abd he has made the pegging very tight especially around the island trying to maximise profit.

Puddledock is a canal type lake and I dont think its the right type of venue for most of our guys. It can be a very low weight lake and favours a long pole approach which a lot of them dont possess.

Mill Barn match lake could be a possible but there was a very detrimental report on here a short while ago which turns me off it.