If you are signing up to the forums, Thank you. You will need to activate your account by clicking a link in an email from the forums.
Please make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder for the email and make sure you spell your email address correctly or you won't get the email.
Thanks again. Dismiss this with the [X] >>>>>>

Debate on

You know the score, Wind-up the other Members here.

Moderators: MrV, kod

TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Debate on

Unread post by TK »

Noticed this little comment on the forums

HA worm and joker is usually used by people who lack self confidence !!!

I’ve personally now moved into another phase in my club and pleasure angling sessions.

Previously I’ve shied away from even entertaining using the bait, along with others, on a cost to potential returns…………typically we don’t have mega payouts on Cashmores matches.

Witnessing the use of copious amounts of chop worm used in the past to excellent effect, not by anyone on these forums I would add, I was almost of the th possibly misguided opinion that they were ‘buying’ their fish and I was quite content at that stage to settle for coming in ‘second best’ if that was to be the case.

My attitude has recently changed………..I tend to go fishing for 5 hours on a fortnightly basis. The intention is to catch a few. Why sit there for 5 hours on a 4 ounce per hour catch rate if you can up that rate by the use of an alternative bait?

If the use of bw&j provides me with a few extra tugs, that’s what I’ll use when allowed. Sod the ‘cost’ – I’m out for the whole day and it’s far cheaper than what I’d spend comparing to just an hour in the club .

That said w&j aint the be all and end……….I’ve used it in the past and been easily beaten fairly and squarely by other anglers, even off the next peg, using more ‘cheaper’ alternative baits.

So you never know, as well as potentially using w&j next Winter, you might just see me in the summer carrying the odd white bag or two of debs as well.
YAMO
Cashmores MG
Cashmores MG

Debate on

Unread post by YAMO »

Not that my opinion counts for anything these days as i'm a canal novice........ but i can see arguments for both sides.
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Debate on

Unread post by TK »

Image You can include me in that category Yamo - I'm totally out of touch with cuts these days :'(
MrV
Gathering Dust
Gathering Dust
Personal Text: Still waiting on an end peg!!
Match Team/ Club: Cashmores MG
Sponsor: NHS

Debate on

Unread post by MrV »

Dont know if anyone used the w & j on Saturday, but in my opinion, I dont think it would have made things any better.  Image
I sought advice from the chaps who know the venue and use Frank Holts tackle shop and was told punch and caster would outscore W & J anyway.
My total cost for bait used on Saturday would have been about £2 tops. I think W & J is ok when conditions dictate it i.e freezing cold, canal thawed after a coating of ice etc. etc.
The big Winter Leagues I fished were 99% W & J matches. You were fishing for points, not individually, and yes, it will always get you a bite. But even in those days, individual winners would be the ones who could also fish the punch and caster, in the most extreme conditions, and make it count.
As TK says, I now see people putting in more choppy than ever before, and that stuff is as expensive as W & J  Image
Each to their own I say, but at the end of the day, its all about getting outdoors and enjoying your day. I would rather be getting blown off the bankside than shopping any Saturday of the year  Image
TK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Debate on

Unread post by TK »

Shame - this topic didn't actually stimulate much of a debate after all

The subject of debate was the comment [highlight]HA worm and joker is usually used by people who lack self confidence !!! [/highlight]

Might as well draw things to a close in the absence of any interest by just mentioning I have a defference of opinion in that as much I don't think the England team - Raison, Scotthorne, Gardner, Ashby, Nudd etc lack self confidence............

QED